What Luggage?

OntarioHawk

Hey folks,

I'm trying to narrow down my choices and have got down to two choices: Givi E22 and Givi Trekker 33. I haven't found a ton of information on the Givi E22 cases.

Looking for a set that will hold my riding gear while I'm at work, 3-5 day tour luggage capacity, miscellaneous errand running. Wondering if anyone has any experience with the E22s? Build quality, capacity, water resistance, things that irritate you about them. I have read that the lock on the lid isn't the best if the case is stuffed. For reference I'd be looking to store an Aerostich Roadcrafter jacket with an Aerostich back pad and potentially AD-1 pants. I already have a top case to hold my helmet.

Any pictures you have would be appreciated. I'm on a 5th gen, but any bike with them mounted would likely help. I'm leaning towards the Trekkers for the additional space, but there is a significant step up in cost to get there.

Feel free to suggest any other cases you have experience with, but I don't want to go too much bigger than 33 litres. I think I've dismissed the E360s based on width, Trekkers and E22 are pretty similar in this regard. I'm committed to monolock or monolock-compatible cases as I already have a 257FZ monorack and PL257 set up.

Here are a few mockups I've done, scaling everything to approximately the right size (not my bike, apologies to the owner):

E22

post-28094-0-29704900-1448543990.jpg

Trekker 33

post-28094-0-12361900-1448543993.jpg

Trekker Outback 37 (just being silly because I'm an armchair ADV enthusiast)

post-28094-0-60224900-1448543991.jpg

Hey there OntarioHawk,

I have a 3rd Gen with E21 Givi bags along with a topbox. I am assuming the E21 are the version prior to the E22. I have (attempted) attached a couple photos.

I absolutely love the hardbags. Lock and go, water tight, top loading sides bags. They can hold a ton of stuff and they're NOT overly large. I think the E22 would look better on the VFR than the Trekkers. Either way, you'll love having them.

100_2848.JPG

DSCF0741.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've been considering buying the E22's as well, I have a maxia E55 top box fitted at the minute but the top loading side panniers would be a great help for stuff like wet gear etc, a tank bag and seat bag as well and there'd be enough luggage on board for a few weeks touring!! :goofy:

I've been trying to figure out what the E22's would look like on the 5th gen so your first post is a great help, I don't think the trekkers look right on the vfr and I've also ruled out the keyless and E360 panniers because they are a bit too wide for my liking.

Those are both Monokey side cases.

I don't think they make Monolock side cases, but perhaps that's what you meant to type.

You are, of course, correct that they are monokey cases. My top case is actually a monolock case on an M5M plate. I have a newborn at home, so I haven't been firing on all cylinders recently. Easy to get confused these days.

Thanks for the insight and the photos folks. I'm thinking that for the price of the E22, $225 a pair here in Canada, it's worth a shot. I've got 30 liters worth of kreiga tail packs I can use for those longer trips if space is an issue.

Any photos kicking around of the cases loaded? Photos of E21s are acceptable to help me get an idea of capacity. Keep it coming.

I've been considering buying the E22's as well, I have a maxia E55 top box fitted at the minute but the top loading side panniers would be a great help for stuff like wet gear etc, a tank bag and seat bag as well and there'd be enough luggage on board for a few weeks touring!! :goofy:

I've been trying to figure out what the E22's would look like on the 5th gen so your first post is a great help, I don't think the trekkers look right on the vfr and I've also ruled out the keyless and E360 panniers because they are a bit too wide for my liking.

You and I seem to be on the same wavelength here regarding the keyless and E360s

• Member Contributer

If you get the E22's post up some pics of them fitted, I'd be interested to know what width the rear end of the 5th gen is with the E22's fitted.

I've seen some vids on youtube of the E22's they look good.

Here's a set of pix with my Y2K fitted with combinations of E21s and an E45, with a tank bag thrown in!

They are all MonoKey fittings on a mk1 Wingrack, with the RHS spaced out to clear the high mount can.

I have had no lock problems with the 21s and do not see how they are weaker than the E45, but then I have not damaged any of them. The lid of an E21 needs careful closing to prevent stuff inside interfering with the swing of the lock plate.

HTH

post-4110-0-15887000-1448653398.jpg

post-4110-0-49898300-1448653415.jpg

post-4110-0-39891100-1448653428.jpg

post-4110-0-39689400-1448653446.jpg

post-4110-0-34374000-1448653462.jpg

post-4110-0-22782800-1448654025.jpg

• Member Contributer

I'd go with a top case well before the side bags. The biggest top bags provide huge 50+ ltr capacity. If you travel solo Kens rack is the bomb.

I didn't realize how useful a topcase is until I had one. I use the sidecases only for multi-day trips.

• Member Contributer

Top cases are ugly, but practical. I'm using a GiVi E50 Maxia on a Monorack, and I put my Aerostich Roadcrafter Light and Knox back protector in it when parked at work. Helmet, gloves and boots go in my locker--no room in the GiVi for them. I filter (lane split) in London, UK, where having a narrow vehicle is essential.

Ciao,

248036_4152503850632_1144448083_n.jpg?oh

This is what I'm looking for. Size looks good to me.

why not get a SOlo Rack and guarantee your significant other wont be able to join you?

But I like when my wife rides with me.....

I know you are GIVI man but these 30 liter Hepco Becker bags will do the job as well.

med_gallery_2144_5984_10579.jpg

Those cases do look great. I just committed to Givi because I already had the 257FZ monorack, and my reading suggested that other rack systems don't really place nice with it. If there was a Givi adapter, like SW-Motech sells for the Trax cases, that would be a different story.

Anyways, E22s are on the way thanks to you fine folks. For $224 CDN shipped, its a pretty small investment to try them out.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

@OntarioHawk Did you get the E22's fitted? I ordered a set before Christmas, looks like it's going to be next week before I get them, 2 weeks from Italy to Ireland?? frigd up time of year.

No, not yet. Things have been crazy around here with Christmas and travelling. We have a 2 month old that has been the focus of the rest of my free time. Cases look good though, came with 4 keys - one in each lock and one taped under each lid. No cylinder to match it to my current monolock top case though.

• Member Contributer

I ordered a Z1382 givi kit as well to be able to key alike up to 5 givi boxes,just in case I get bigger side cases for the vfr as well, maybe E360's, then I could have the top box and 4 different panniers all keyed alike.

I'll get them fitted as soon as they arrive.

Archived