Getting Chain Guard To Look Good

burnes45

• Member Contributer

My 4th gen chain guard has "fading" looks like lighter to darker swirls. What can I treat it with to get uniform black look?

• Member Contributer

If are handy and can remove it, go to an autoparts store and buy a can of "trim black" , clean it really well with a foaming glass cleaner then prep with a solvent base cleaner. That type of paint is made for plastic parts and has additional adhesion promoters incorperated in it.Duplicolor is a good brand.

• Member Contributer

I've had good success with a Mothers product called "Back to Black" - probably very similar to that mentioned above. I have not tried it on a hard plastic such as the c/g is made of.

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-06108-Back-Black-Trim/dp/B0002U1TXK

Vaseline. It works better than Back to Black, I've tried it.

Vaseline brought ashy gray plastic on my 83 VF750F restoration back to looking like new. No kidding. And for $1, you can't go wrong!

• Member Contributer

Wipe New.. I know it's one of those "as Seen On TV" things, but the stuff works. got great reviews on Consumer reports, also...

You could also consider trying plain old black shoe polish. I've had pretty good results from using shoe polsh to touch up small scratches on my Speed Triple's engine cases.

I expect it might last longer than Vaseline too...

I've also seen a 5th gen where the owner had the chain guard painted (red) to match the rest of the motorcycle. I thought it looked really good!

• Member Contributer

Vaseline. It works better than Back to Black, I've tried it.

Vaseline brought ashy gray plastic on my 83 VF750F restoration back to looking like new. No kidding. And for $1, you can't go wrong!

Oh, Do you think it will work on faded carbon fiber too? The fenders on my Duc are a bit faded. So is the CF can I have on my 5 Gen.

For many years now, I have heard that show car detailers had used Vaseline to restore the black on their plastic bumpers and trim.......

I myself would be apprehensive of using Vaseline on plastics, being that it is a petroleum based product, but it seems like it works good and does not hurt plastics, if detailers continue to use it.

Vaseline works. What do you think all those other products that cost more are based on?

It will not work on carbon fiber parts. The resin that holds the carbon in its form is what is being broken down by UV rays and becoming yellow and brittle. If you catch it early, you can have it sanded and topcoated with automotive grade clear paint. I cleared all the parts I made for my streetfighter.

Be aware 5hat some oils do attack plastics, so you do need to be careful what you put

Vaseline works. What do you think all those other products that cost more are based on?.........

I don't think all are petroleum based. I bet some of them are water based......

Be aware 5hat some oils do attack plastics, so you do need to be careful what you put

Vaseline works. What do you think all those other products that cost more are based on?.........

I don't think all are petroleum based. I bet some of them are water based......

You're thinking of Astroglide!

I just finished sprucing up my plastic parts on my 83, I used VHT flat black engine paint with their primer (AutoZone). You spray parts, dries quickly, then bake in the oven at 200 degrees to harden paint. Much harder than normal rattle can paint. Check you oven, make sure it around 200, I have no problem with all the plastic parts at that temp. Did chain guard, radiator covers, winker shells, etc.

• Member Contributer

I just finished sprucing up my plastic parts on my 83, I used VHT flat black engine paint with their primer (AutoZone). You spray parts, dries quickly, then bake in the oven at 200 degrees to harden paint. Much harder than normal rattle can paint. Check you oven, make sure it around 200, I have no problem with all the plastic parts at that temp. Did chain guard, radiator covers, winker shells, etc.

Any pic's ?

The trouble with paint is, it WILL flake off. Once that happens, it's a ton of work to make it look nice again as you'll need to strip the entire part and start over!

Been there, done that. Ended up just buying a new dash surround for $60 after the paint flaked.

• Member Contributer

I use a Turtle Wax cut and polish compound; takes some elbow grease but gives a nice shine on black plastic.

Late afternoon picture. I agreed about normal rattle can paint. Years ago I tried Krylon and it did flake off. This VHT Engine paint is tougher, we shall see.

Note sprocket was also painted, clear coated and baked!

post-29047-0-50929100-1438915385.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Here's my "old" VTR and VFR0103e9e99806e8963d5c640103498621.jpg4c04f6bcd80b4d3a87011caa2dcba2c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived