Visit To Bmw Dealer Saved Me 20K

ridered

Went and test rode the BMW R1200RS today. I had high expectations because on paper it is far better than the VFR: more power, less weight and more features. But my trip saved me $20,000 because I hated it. That was my first experience with the boxer engine. I thought I was shopping for a motorcycle, but it felt more like farm equipment. That boxer sounds and feels like a diesel. The bike handled well, had good brakes, and was comfortable, but the engine was terrible! Also, I thought the controls felt numb. Clutch and braking were very difficult to control smoothly as they just felt soft with no feedback. I also think the VFR feels far more sporty and has more character. The BMW did feel lighter which makes the VFR feel like a pig after, but I quickly re-acclimated and forgot all about it. At least I know I will not shop for a boxer in the foreseeable future.

The VFR is truly special in the world of motorcycles. People who question the "best bike ever" mantra have never experienced one. I'm starting to think a new 7th or 8th gen just might be the perfect bike.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Rider, I've owned a couple boxers. An old R65LS and my last one being a R1200s. Love the heritage with the motor, and always was a fan of the airheads. Especially the R100RS = a true classic imho. However, the V-4 is mesmerizing. I sold my 5th gen for the 1200 and regretted it so much I got back into a sixth gen. I find the VFR engine and bike so much more refined and polished. The sound of the V-4 is also tremendously addictive. The only problem with a VFR is that getting anything else after is really tough. You need to know that going in. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

If you want to keep that 20 large in the pocket do NOT ride a 2015 Multistrada...I am thinking of selling 4-5 of my V4's to pay for one.

• Member Contributer

Or an Aprilia RSV4 that's the next bike since Honda will not build us the bike that many of the VFR diehard fans want.

• Member Contributer

Or an Aprilia RSV4 that's the next bike since Honda will not build us the bike that many of the VFR diehard fans want.

That is my go to bike if Honda doesn't come out with a non-vtec 1000cc VFR before I fail spectacularly at building a >920cc V4 for a project bike from a couple of 5G engines.

But for me to get rid of the ST1300 that I take when my wife joins me on rides I would have to have a bike that is larger than a current 600RR (and the RSV4 feels smaller than current 600RRs) hence the Ducati love.

If she hadn't been in California for a few weeks when the Ducati demo trailer came through GA last month I would have had her confirm that the pillion of the Multistrada is good enough to send the ST packing. Everything else about that bike does it for me.

• Member Contributer

Oh yea, RSV4 and Multi are apples and oranges. The Multis are awesome machines no doubt, would be a more than worthy replacement for mile crunching after the ST.

Shame that Honda doesn't see fit to really replace the aging ST 1300 either with a worthy successor. The ST has had a pretty strong and loyal fan base as well.

• Member Contributer

I've been eyeing the Multistrada too...I am so afraid to ride one as I've heard from several MS riders that you'll instantly fall in love with it. I think for me too, the pillion section is where the deciding factor would be. My wife likes the 6 gen but the accommodations for her are not that accommodating. So can I squeeze in that 4th bike? Maybe I can sell the car?!

• Member Contributer

I test rode the Multistrada when shopping for my next bike. Loved the electronic on-the-fly suspension adjustments and just about everything else...except it sat too high. I just wasn't looking for a dual sport ride for street use.

• Member Contributer

I test rode the Multistrada when shopping for my next bike. Loved the electronic on-the-fly suspension adjustments and just about everything else...except it sat too high. I just wasn't looking for a dual sport ride for street use.

The 2015 has a seat that can be lowered by approximately 20mm in 10 minutes or less by removing the spacer of the body work below the seat.

While we are giving the safety briefing before each group ride the Ducati tech would ensure that the shortest person who wanted to sample a MS was on the short bike. I know what you mean by the high seating arrangement as Earthshake here on the forum calls his MultiStrada a "deer stand" but has decked the pegs on his track days on the bike.

So much technology for the money and now with real variable cam timing to bump the peak power to 160 hp while improving mid range power and torque....what's not to like?

My wife has an R1200RT that I ride quite a bit, and I understand completely. Just when you're expecting to hit the powerband, you hit the redline! And it chugs like a lawn tractor to boot. I have to admit, I like the adjustable windscreen, heated grips, ABS, etc., but the Boxer engine has never made my heart flutter the way a V-4 does.

If you were thinking about an upgrade to the VFR, you might want to consider the BMW K1300S. Lots more horsepower but a little less nimble than a VFR. I'm hoping they upgrade the electronics for 2016 to bring it in line with the S1000.

Oh, and have any of you Multistrada fans tried the BMW S1000XR?

• Member Contributer

This is why I bought a K1300R. Still has pannier option, and can mount a topbox (with parts from SW-Motech).

Rider, I've owned a couple boxers. An old R65LS and my last one being a R1200s. Love the heritage with the motor, and always was a fan of the airheads. Especially the R100RS = a true classic imho. However, the V-4 is mesmerizing. I sold my 5th gen for the 1200 and regretted it so much I got back into a sixth gen. I find the VFR engine and bike so much more refined and polished. The sound of the V-4 is also tremendously addictive. The only problem with a VFR is that getting anything else after is really tough. You need to know that going in. :goofy:

I have an R100RS as well as my 5th gen. The VFR is the more capable bike in all aspects. There is a buyer coming to look at the VFR today.

Honestly I would rather sell the RS. But this is what I have decided on for now.

It takes deep pockets to own and ride a bmw. Both going in and keeping one. I've had a lot of fun with cars, trucks and motorcycles; but always, stuck in my mind, is cost of ownership. I know 'it's a toy', but still. R3~

Have you tried a vfr1200f?

That is now on my short list. Looking at one this week. The Multistrada is too tall for my short legs (I'm 5'5") and I want more touring capacity than the Aprilia. If they made the Aprilia into a sports tourer, I'd probably be there. That thing sounds the business.

I'm down to three options: VFR1200, '14+ VFR800, or keep the 5th gen, and get a bigger touring bike, either a ST1300 or FJR1300. Right now the VFR1200 seems to be checking all the boxes, but I won't know until I try it.

I couldn't believe how much I disliked the BMW. The extra power was nice, and it felt new and tight, but the controls were terrible, I couldn't read the dash and the boxer is no V4. It didn't feel like a sport tourer to me. Not much sport. Would be a mediocre tourer too with the noise and vibration it produced.

Maybe what I really want is a time machine to make my bike feel new and tight again.

• Member Contributer

If you want to keep that 20 large in the pocket do NOT ride a 2015 Multistrada...I am thinking of selling 4-5 of my V4's to pay for one.

Funny that you should mention this. Last Sunday, I rode a Multistrada - The only bike, I thought that would eventually replace the VFR.

The ride lasted about 1/2 hour and I came off the bike with conflicted feelings.

On one hand, it has waaay more power than the VFR. Handling is good, brakes are way better (although a bit grabby - chuck that to lack of seat time), the looks and the added dividends of being in the Ducati club is something to be considered as well, for those that care.

On the other hand, I was not impressed with ergonomics - My nether region was too intimate with the tank and the handle bars were too close to the body, which made for an awkward seating and hand/arm position. The engine felt... dare I say agricultural and not revvy? Lack of tachometer didn't help either. And then there was that question of extra 20 large.

The final stake was driven into the heart of my Multi dream on the way back home. I enjoyed my viffer that much more. I guess I'm staying.

Went and test rode the BMW R1200RS today. I had high expectations because on paper it is far better than the VFR: more power, less weight and more features. But my trip saved me $20,000 because I hated it. That was my first experience with the boxer engine. I thought I was shopping for a motorcycle, but it felt more like farm equipment.

LOL! I rode one once (GS1200, I think it was), and I was the same! Not what I expected at all - no big wodge of torque, just noises and sensations that didn't seem directly related to whatever I did with the controls. And it had a terrible windshield: too large and upright (though it was adjustable) so it had terrible buffeting turbulence behind it that made it very noisy to ride. Hated it.

• Member Contributer

Test rode the 1200GS when it first appeared. A fun 20 minutes, mainly due to the upright seating, wide bars and confidence-inspiring handling but the engine was a pig. And yr right about the discontinuity between the controls and the rider.....it seems curiously disconnected. The F800 was lame too.

The VFR (5th Gen) was a relief to get back onto.

I'm testing a VFR1200 this weekend. If it doesn't make me fall in love, I'm getting a '14 Interceptor. Just sitting on that bike feels right. Just need to test every other option first.

Test rode the 1200GS when it first appeared. A fun 20 minutes, mainly due to the upright seating, wide bars and confidence-inspiring handling but the engine was a pig. And yr right about the discontinuity between the controls and the rider.....it seems curiously disconnected. The F800 was lame too.

The VFR (5th Gen) was a relief to get back onto.

Skids,

You have owned all 3, 5th gen, VTEC and 1200. If you could own only one, which would it be?

• Member Contributer

Love Duke's, but have to admit they scare me. I don't have unlimited funds for the service. Some have had great luck, and they are reliable; others not so much. Love them though.

• Member Contributer

Archived