Visit To Bmw Dealer Saved Me 20K

ridered

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local dealer has a 2010 with bags, ABS and 7500 miles and they want a ludicrous $9750. I want to test ride it, but don't want to deal with them trying to get me into it and trading my 5th gen.

SOLD! I was going to see it this weekend. = (

Tested a FJR1300 today. Nice bike, but it isn't sporty enough, and the i4 is a little buzzy after coming from this V4. Man, this 5th gen is just really good. The FJR is the perfect bike to eat up highway miles, but not sporty enough for my only bike. It would have to be an add to the garage. I'll keep looking for a vfr1200 for now.

Bought the GF a nice recliner/sofa today at LazyBoy with the condition that I add a 4th machine to the stable next year. Quid pro quo is a good thing.

I have no idea what I'm looking for. I was finally able to put in some significant saddle time on the 5th Gen today. First time since I've had it, really. No wonder you guys rave about it. It's fabulous. I'm 57 and I can ride the thing all day. Love it.

So, I've got a parallel twin, V twin, V4 so I guess either a thumper or an inline 4 is in order.

BTW, the formula for how many bikes you should own is this; N + 1 (N represents the number of bikes you currently own).

• Member Contributer
Have you say on one with the seat in its lowered position?

If I had to buy a new bike the FJ-09 would be at or near the top of my list.

• Member Contributer

Skip the inline 4 and get a Triple. Tons of character and relatively affordable if you opt for the FZ-09 or FJ-09 from Yamaha.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-leaked-video/

Or this

They've added a 6 minute video of two Africa Twins on various dirt roads and the designers talking. At about 4 minutes you can see one with some durable looking luggage. This bike is going to be a hit and I might make it my first second bike, after the VFR, of course.

Have you say on one with the seat in its lowered position?

If I had to buy a new bike the FJ-09 would be at or near the top of my list.

I really wish it was a baby FJR. I think that thing is ugly though. I love it on paper, but I don't like looking at it.

I'm down to three options:

1. VFR1200

2. VFR800DLX

3. Keep the 5th gen and get that Africa Twin when it comes out. Man that thing is awesome!

• Member Contributer

I'm testing a VFR1200 this weekend. If it doesn't make me fall in love, I'm getting a '14 Interceptor. Just sitting on that bike feels right. Just need to test every other option first.

Test rode the 1200GS when it first appeared. A fun 20 minutes, mainly due to the upright seating, wide bars and confidence-inspiring handling but the engine was a pig. And yr right about the discontinuity between the controls and the rider.....it seems curiously disconnected. The F800 was lame too.

The VFR (5th Gen) was a relief to get back onto.

Skids,

You have owned all 3, 5th gen, VTEC and 1200. If you could own only one, which would it be?

All 3! :goofy:

I have a friend that went from a 6th gen (loved it) to a 1200 (really loved it) to a Ducati Multi (impulse buy, but loved it until it literally died during a long trip) to his current Hayabusa, which he also loves. Another friend has 2 Busas and takes many long trips on them. I've never ridden a Busa, but they appear to be much more comfortable than your standard liter-bike.

As for my 2014 VFR800 DLX, I love it (even more than my previous 6th gen). The only thing I wish for is a bit more power and the old horn/signal positions...still hate the new arrangement (in case you didn't know, they switched places).

I'm riding the VStar to a big 4 dealer in a few to get some items. I'm in great peril to ride out on something else. Great peril. Last time I was there, they had a new Viffer marked down to $8K. I see nothing wrong with have a different generation of VFR in the stable. Nothing at all.

May God have mercy on my wallet.....

Called on the last new VFR1200 in all of SoCal today, and it sold today! Ugh, why is it so hard to find one? He did say he could order me a manual, but I really need to test ride one first. Apparently the 1200 has become desirable after all.

• Member Contributer

Called on the last new VFR1200 in all of SoCal today, and it sold today! Ugh, why is it so hard to find one? He did say he could order me a manual, but I really need to test ride one first. Apparently the 1200 has become desirable after all.

Red,

PM me after the 7th of Aug. I'm on vacation till then but you can run around on my 1200 if you like when I get back. It's a DCT. I'm in Eden Valley (Escondido), so you can ride down Elfin Forest Road and back...nice windy back road.

BTW, you may have to go out of state for the 1200. Early last year I had to go to Vegas for mine. Rented a car one-way, rode it home. They tend to sell ok in SoCal, though I've only seen one other on the road.

Red,

PM me after the 7th of Aug. I'm on vacation till then but you can run around on my 1200 if you like when I get back. It's a DCT. I'm in Eden Valley (Escondido), so you can ride down Elfin Forest Road and back...nice windy back road.

BTW, you may have to go out of state for the 1200. Early last year I had to go to Vegas for mine. Rented a car one-way, rode it home. They tend to sell ok in SoCal, though I've only seen one other on the road.

Sounds perfect. Thanks for your help! I'm willing to travel to find one, but need to know if it is for me or not.

I found 4 on cycletrader.com within 250 miles of you. 1 dct, 3 standard.

The one here sold, the other 3 are in Nevada. I'd rather not go to nevada just for a test ride. If I like it there are some listed in Oregon for killer prices. I'd fly somewhere to get one if need be. Also, the dealer here that just sold the DCT said he can order a manual for me. I'll see what kind of deal he can get.

BTW, thanks for everyone's help. I at least want to see if it is a good bike for me. Otherwise I'll buy a new 800. I did wash and wax my 5th gen this weekend. It still is a great bike.

I couldn't believe how much I disliked the BMW. The extra power was nice, and it felt new and tight, but the controls were terrible, I couldn't read the dash and the boxer is no V4. It didn't feel like a sport tourer to me. Not much sport. Would be a mediocre tourer too with the noise and vibration it produced.

I test rode a '16 BMW R1200RS today. Been looking forward to this for weeks and finally had an opportunity. Took an FJ-09 for a test ride during Yamaha demo days in Jan and still trying to source a ride on a '14+ Interceptor for comparison. This is in hopes of replacing my stalwart '02 which is rather dialed in with revalved forks, Penske rear, Staintunes, NWS carbon fiber hugger, and Heli bars. I'm seeking a more modern safety cushion to help with the unexpected- features like ABS and TC, partially motivated by a growing family and a more wary wife.

Got the orientation to the controls and was given a route for an unaccompanied ride that included freeways, ramps, and some surface roads, though limited twisties. The riding position was possibly one of the most comfortable I've ever had on a motorcycle- leaned over just enough but not a hard reach to the bars (I'm 6'1", 33" inseam, 145 lbs). I found the FJ-09's sit up and beg position caused me to slouch.

There are a lot of things that can be chalked up to jerkiness that would smooth out with continued riding, but I felt like clutch actuation was typically smooth but occasionally grabby when leaving a red light. Shifting was smooth and clean. Brakes were fantastic though sometimes I'd feel a vibration in the rear lever when first pressed, as if the ABS had come on lightly. No strangeness if I just used the front. Being able to switch throttle/ride and suspension modes on the fly was fantastic. The standard "road" suspension setting soaked up way more stuff than my Penske, though "dynamic" was a bit on the hard side. Maybe I'm too light for that setting.

Part of the issue with clutch actuation was the disconnectedness between the controls and what the bike is doing, something others have mentioned. With the digital tach buried in the electronic cluster, and the boxer engine kind of sounding the same through the rev range, it was hard to know what was going on. I'm sure you learn it once you own it, but it wasn't apparent where you were in the power band (though that's partially due to a respectable amount of torque all over). Speaking of torque, it didn't quite feel like a 1200cc engine. My friend's Bandit 1200S from early 2000s seemed to pull stronger, and communicated with you better.

About the engine, fairly smooth at revs, but not a V4 at idle. It had a fair amount of vibration, though what's with the bike pushing to the left when blipping the throttle at a standstill? The factory exhaust sounded pretty good for factory, and the quick shifter made you want to speed. Handling was impressive- rock solid in keeping a line. I came in to a freeway to freeway interchange ramp a little hot and had no choice but to lean it over, and it complied.

Tachometers are better as sweeping needles.

Wind buffeting from the factory screen on my '02 is terrible for me, so I'd say the RS was decent in both lower and upper positions. Having the ability to change is nice, and that's really my favorite thing about the bike-- being able to change the experience through throttle and suspension modes. But I just didn't get a lot of character from the boxer, which made the entire bike seem a little sullen. I could see owning one, down the road and pre-owned, as a tourer that was sporty, but why not go with an R1200RT? Sadly, that still has the boxer engine which I was not impressed with.

Overall, I was underwhelmed, especially considering price. It was an antiseptic, and as mentioned, somewhat soulless ride. Exceptional at certain things, but was like an East German athlete during the cold war, brutally efficient. I'm looking for a little more character; the search continues...

• Member Contributer

Another option: 2016 Triumph Street Triple 800. Story leaked by MCN http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2015/july/street-triple-800-on-the-way/

Triple is light weight and torquey with lots of character. And this new one might have a nice looking front end with a windscreen :fing02:

Or the new Tuono maybe? Hear its better road bike (seat, low speed fueling, etc) and has what looks like a more functional fly / wind screen

Vinjah wrote about the 1200RS:

"Overall, I was underwhelmed, especially considering price. It was an antiseptic, and as mentioned, somewhat soulless ride. Exceptional at certain things, but was like an East German athlete during the cold war, brutally efficient. I'm looking for a little more character; the search continues..."

My thoughts exactly. I am too short to try the FJ-09. Tried the FJR1300, but that is a sporty touring bike. Really nice if you want a touring bike, but not sporty enough. I'm planning on trying a VFR1200. My fall back is a '14. I don't want a naked. If aprilia would make a futura with the v4 I'd be tempted.

• Member Contributer

There was a 2014 Interceptor DLX (white) for sale here in Indiana. No affiliation looks like a nice bike though. And set up already with some good mods including the Honda bags.

http://vfrworld.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=6173&title=2014-honda-interceptor-vfr800f-dlx&cat=1

If you buy it I will ride it out to you (just so I can thoroughly test the new 8th gen to my 6th gen :) Just pay for the gas out there and the plane ticket back!

I feel kind of the same way. I have been looking into upgrading my 6th gen to something in the FJR, ST, or Connie territory. But I just did 2800 miles following 101 from SoCal to Olympia and that VFR is t going anywhere. I love the thing. I would like some other features. But it's just such a good package. I can't get rid of it and I can't afford 2 bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damn, my 5th Gen is my first and only love. If I ever need a new one, you guys will make me pull my hair, desperate. I have only tried a CB1000 and I loved it. But I wouldnt swap for anything at the moment my viffer. Maybe if I ever can get a second bike it'll be a vfr1200 x'D

Enviado desde mi D6503 mediante Tapatalk

Archived