Highside Damages Perfect Viffer + Human

NCY2K

Unfortunately, after 8 years of riding, I've finally wrecked. I got brand new tires (Bridgestone T30's) and since I got them mounted with the wheels off the bike, the shop couldn't scrub them in. I've done this several times without incident. However, these newly minted tires were slick as hell, and on my first slow turn after leaving the house I highsided. I leaned into a tight right-hander in town and midway through the turn I rolled on the throttle as usual. The rear immediately broke loose--despite gentle throttle--and came around on me, prompting me to instinctively reduce throttle. The rear quickly hooked up again and I highsided, fracturing my clavicle and two ribs because I hit so hard and fast I didn't even get an arm out (which would have just been snapped anyway). Luckily I was all geared up from head to toe and didn't suffer any abrasions or head injuries. In the grand scheme of things I feel lucky, but bummed to scar up a really nice example of a 5th Gen with only about 17K miles on it. It's amazing what damage can occur at a mere 15 mph or so.

If anyone has the following left-side pieces to sell, I'm looking (Pearl Yellow because 2000)!

-Upper Cowl (already scored a nice lower fairing from eBay)

-Blinker

-Clutch Lever

-Left step (with or without peg)

-Left mirror

-Left passenger grab bar

Thanks and be careful out there!

Sasha

post-21593-0-20651200-1437331621.jpg

post-21593-0-43076300-1437331631.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hard luck, you're not the first one to crash on new tyres,I hit an oil spill on a roundabout a week ago,was very lucky to save her,leaned over throttle on and both wheels slid,back the worst but she gripped and I was able to stay on,

heal well, the bike is easy to fix.

• Member Contributer

Sorry about your get-off. The first time the machine gets damaged is always, psychologically, the worst.

I can help you out from my parts bin. I have a left step (complete) from my second-deer-crashed '01 :wheel: :3: . Looks kind of grubby right now so I can describe how un-pristine it is. It may clean up better than I. :laugh: The bike has (had) approx. 40,000 mi.

PM me if interested.

MaxSwell DeerSlayer.

I'm sorry to hear about your off! I'm going to be self installing the same tires next week when my spoons get in, so a bit nervous now. I'm glad you and the bike made it out alright! I've got a clutch lever, and may have grab handles I can part with, I'll let you know this week.

Where are you located? (Tapatalk doesn't show you anything about the user)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The good news is that you are ok. The other good news is that plastics don't look like they are damaged beyond repair. They deffinetly won't just buff right out (sarchasm off) but a little filler and paint should have them looking as good as new.

Sorry about your off. The plastics don't look too bad. Timmy can give you some tips on a cheap fix for yellow plastics. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Hi NCY2K.

Some years ago i'm crashed too for the same reason. I wasn't highsided, but simply slided with rear wheel suddenly and i was heavyly crash breakin a rib.

I was lucky just a bit more than you. Hope you get well soon.

I don't know if you are informed that there's a simply method to repair the fairing broken parts using acetone (i assume that is the right translation from italian).

Honda fairing are made with a good quality of ABS admitting the use of acetone to repair it successfully.

You can make yourself a special glue using ABS pieces dissolved in acetone. This glue is very useful to soak fiberglass for reinforcement too.

Is not an universal solution, but i can assure you that can be a real money-saver for situation of this kind.

I recommend to use ABS coming from another Honda fairing (i think that can be easy to find in a bike dismantler) to be sure to use the same material.

Remember to remove the paint (even with roughly method) before dissolve the ABS in acetone, to have your glue perfect for use.

Ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

Most auto places now sell plastic repair kits for plastic bumpers. they are cheap as in around $15 -$20 and have all the stuff needed to repair this damage and easy to use . you might want to try this and then get a shop to paint the parts ,most shops have digital cameras that will give the right mix formula to ensure a good match .

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear this, hope you heal quickly NCY2K. Crashing always sucks, but especially like this. Bridgestones are the slipperiest new tires I've ever used. Borderline dangerous IMO. Same thing happened to me on a new set of BT-30's two years ago. No way those tires should have been that slippery, just plain hazardous. I seriously contemplated legal action. Recover fast and get back in the saddle!

• Member Contributer

Sorry to hear about your crash but glad that you are able to ride again!

All I have is a subframe and a passenger seat cowl, let me know if you need them.

• Member Contributer

The 2000 VFR yellow is notoriously difficult to match.

You may find (once you locate used parts) that the donor had more or less time in the sun than your bike and are therefore a different shade of yellow.

If so, I would re-sell the good used parts and take GMtech and Luigi's advice and repair your plastics and have the entire bike painted to match.

I scrub all of my tires in in our cul de sac and have never had this issue with T30s or S20s. To hear two board members have the same issue means that I will be more diligent in my scrub technique in the future.

Thanks for all the well wishes. @Marsman99, I agree, how slippery the new Bridgestones were seems outright negligent--I cannot believe they sell them in such a state. I've bought a couple sets of Dunlops before and never had such problems. I was hardly hooning--there have been plenty of other times, tearing up Route 28 in NC, where I've expected (deserved?) to dump it. But not two blocks from my house at jogging pace.

It always happens near home, when we feel safe... I got knocked off mine turning into the gas station by a bird that decided to commit suicide on my neck! Hurt pride stings a bit, bones heal, but fairings remember forever. Good luck man, I hope you get to ride again soon!

• Member Contributer

Question. Would sanding the tires to roughen them up be useful? Seems I've heard some say the did that to take the mold-shine off them.

• Member Contributer

Hi to all.

I'm a Dunlop tyres addicted from a long time, and when i had my crash too i was fitting Dunlop tyres, so i can't say nothing about Bridgestone that i never used.

For what can worth my experience, my opinion on my accident is about the great handling difference existing from old to new tyres. Riding the bike the tyre profile consumption in gradually as the handling decreasing, but rider can't be feel it just for this performance decrease is slow and gradually.

When new tyres is mounted, can happen that the rider are "practiced" to drive the bike with an "overstreght".

In other words i think that i was crashed 'cause i drive down in lean my bike with more force than the new tyres required, unbalancing me and bike.

Sanding the new tyres is always a good idea, but my opinion is remember always that a new pair of tyres require for the first kilometers a driving style little bit smooth than the rider are usually using.

Ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

I usually bring my wheels and tires to my local Honda shop to have them mounted. I think it must be standard procedure for them to remind customers that care should be taken for the first 100 miles to wear the mold release off. Some tires are better than others in this regard. (Sorry, I do not remember which ones.)

• Member Contributer

I usually bring my wheels and tires to my local Honda shop to have them mounted. I think it must be standard procedure for them to remind customers that...

I agree. My problem was caused by my short memory... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

When I mount new tires, before re-mounting the wheels to the bike, I always scrub them with a heavy dose of Dawn dish soap and water using a stiff bristled brush. Scrub until the shine is gone. Never had a slip with this method.

• Member Contributer

When I mount new tires, before re-mounting the wheels to the bike, I always scrub them with a heavy dose of Dawn dish soap and water using a stiff bristled brush. Scrub until the shine is gone. Never had a slip with this method.

+1 3M pad to be exact.

• Member Contributer

Scrubbing in tires, whether by easy miles or brush and soap, is a fact of life for motorcyclists. Just seems odd that our community hasn't made a bigger issue of manufacturers selling tires with a dangerously slippery coating on them. In the case of my Bridgestone set, a downright negligent amount IMO. Seems to me, one class action lawsuit is all it would take to send the tire manufacturers clamoring for a solution.

Archived