Highside Damages Perfect Viffer + Human

NCY2K

It would likely raise tire price significantly, adding some new process and probably machinery to their production lines. Glad you made it out alive and only temporarily hurt. My new Pirelli Angel GT's had so much release agent on them, it left my hands slippery after the slighest touch. No problems though riding paranoid and ultra gentle for the first 50 miles or so.

Continental actually has a fraction skin to reduce break in and from reviews they sound to be just crime from new, they tend to be a slight bit pricier then some other brands though. Not got to try a set yet (damn you Bridgestone and your well times deals and great price on some highly rated tires, lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

The 2000 VFR yellow is notoriously difficult to match.

You may find (once you locate used parts) that the donor had more or less time in the sun than your bike and are therefore a different shade of yellow.

If so, I would re-sell the good used parts and take GMtech and Luigi's advice and repair your plastics and have the entire bike painted to match.

I scrub all of my tires in in our cul de sac and have never had this issue with T30s or S20s. To hear two board members have the same issue means that I will be more diligent in my scrub technique in the future.

Thanks for all the well wishes. @Marsman99, I agree, how slippery the new Bridgestones were seems outright negligent--I cannot believe they sell them in such a state. I've bought a couple sets of Dunlops before and never had such problems. I was hardly hooning--there have been plenty of other times, tearing up Route 28 in NC, where I've expected (deserved?) to dump it. But not two blocks from my house at jogging pace.

Take it from someone who installs about two sets of T30s a month they seem no more slippery than any other tire out there. I would speculate however that since T=30s are so darned stiff that they usually require more lube than other tires and tire lube can be scary stuff for the first few miles. I am very careful to remove any excess lube from my changes and yet I still find streaks running down the sidewall of my tire from time to time. I use No Mar lube mostly.

Very sorry for your mishap NC2YK. Couple of weeks ago Donna and I went down in a rain soaked oily corner. Not a lot f fun.

The 2000 VFR yellow is notoriously difficult to match.

You may find (once you locate used parts) that the donor had more or less time in the sun than your bike and are therefore a different shade of yellow.

If so, I would re-sell the good used parts and take GMtech and Luigi's advice and repair your plastics and have the entire bike painted to match.

I scrub all of my tires in in our cul de sac and have never had this issue with T30s or S20s. To hear two board members have the same issue means that I will be more diligent in my scrub technique in the future.

Thanks for all the well wishes. @Marsman99, I agree, how slippery the new Bridgestones were seems outright negligent--I cannot believe they sell them in such a state. I've bought a couple sets of Dunlops before and never had such problems. I was hardly hooning--there have been plenty of other times, tearing up Route 28 in NC, where I've expected (deserved?) to dump it. But not two blocks from my house at jogging pace.

Take it from someone who installs about two sets of T30s a month they seem no more slippery than any other tire out there. I would speculate however that since T=30s are so darned stiff that they usually require more lube than other tires and tire lube can be scary stuff for the first few miles. I am very careful to remove any excess lube from my changes and yet I still find streaks running down the sidewall of my tire from time to time. I use No Mar lube mostly.

Very sorry for your mishap NC2YK. Couple of weeks ago Donna and I went down in a rain soaked oily corner. Not a lot f fun.

Well, that explains why the rear was so damn hard to get on last night! It was my first motorcycle tire change but I have done thousands upon thousands of car tires and other things. I don't think I've bee had a tire that stuff, even the little 30 profile tires you see on river cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not totally sure, but I think a break from riding is in order and as soon as I'm healed I need to fix the bike up. It's in great shape with low miles and I've taken extremely good care of it (and added nice mods), so I'm willing to lose a bit to make it 90+% right and keep it on the road with a clean title and another happy owner instead of leaving it to the fates of the insurance industry. But I don't think I'll keep riding a 5th Gen; I never before regarded it as antiquated and much of the engineering and styling is pretty timeless, but it's lacking important electronic nannies that I believe would have prevented my injury. I don't feel responsible any longer riding without the modern safety of traction control and ABS. It's too easy to slide the rear without them, and too easy to highside when you hook up again, and that's not something I want to repeat. Luckily the 8th Gen is finally a VFR that looks better than the 5th Gen (IMO)! It feels nicely narrow, the build quality is beautiful, it has factory luggage, and I think I can overlook the lack of gear-driven cams. :-) I could see myself buying a used DLX (white, please) in a couple years as a win-win-win: I take a break, I get a safer bike, and depreciation will make a used one more affordable!

• Member Contributer

I'm not totally sure, but I think a break from riding is in order and as soon as I'm healed I need to fix the bike up. It's in great shape with low miles and I've taken extremely good care of it (and added nice mods), so I'm willing to lose a bit to make it 90+% right and keep it on the road with a clean title and another happy owner instead of leaving it to the fates of the insurance industry. But I don't think I'll keep riding a 5th Gen; I never before regarded it as antiquated and much of the engineering and styling is pretty timeless, but it's lacking important electronic nannies that I believe would have prevented my injury. I don't feel responsible any longer riding without the modern safety of traction control and ABS. It's too easy to slide the rear without them, and too easy to highside when you hook up again, and that's not something I want to repeat. Luckily the 8th Gen is finally a VFR that looks better than the 5th Gen (IMO)! It feels nicely narrow, the build quality is beautiful, it has factory luggage, and I think I can overlook the lack of gear-driven cams. :-) I could see myself buying a used DLX (white, please) in a couple years as a win-win-win: I take a break, I get a safer bike, and depreciation will make a used one more affordable!

Been there done that and it's a good idea sometimes drop back and regroup .

I agree that the new vfr800 is good looking, so good looking in fact that its obvious that thonda looked back at the 98-2001 bike for revised styling hints. Fix your 5th gen and lets ride, as you know I now own a nearly flawless 2000... And call Bazazz about TC.

Sorry to hear!

I was close to do this whit my old -87 750F whit a Dunlop Arrowax, did a 180 in first road crossing 30 meter from where I lived.

I have always woundered why this cant be ower come by a other way than you wear it away. Of cores Continenlat has actually done it, by its traction skin, but only on some modells, and owning a set I know they need zero miles to full grip! Impressive I think, even there are better tires out there in some aspects. ( I did like the PR2:s better)

Good luck whit the rebuild after you get your bones healed.

I am late, but I am sorry to see this thread. You were nice enough to be one of many to welcome me to the board, so I feel we go way back

I vote for fixing her OEM Yellow and if you're set on selling her, there are obviously those of us who have to have the Yellow 5th Gen and someone, somewhere is shopping for one

Hope you are on the mend. As a veteran of numerous broken bones, it's all about being dedicated in rehab to regain range of motion.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Well, I hate to sell it, but it was keep the bike or keep the wife. I was able to repair it better than I expected, although in retrospect the damage was so light I shouldn't be suprised. It still wasn't cheap to put it back togehter (no wonder the insurance company totals the damn things!). But it was too nice of an example to give over to salvage status. See the for sale thread. It's got some awesome "extras" I may be splitting off, although I'd rather just sell the entire shooting match.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/classifieds/item/3943-2000-vfr-17k-2900/

• Member Contributer

As a side note...

I've been running Continental Road Attack2's on my SV650 for some time now. They have what they call "traction skin" from new. Micro roughness which almost eliminates run-in time. I have no affiliation, just think they are great tires.

Check it out;

http://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/sport-touring/contiroadattack2

" I don't feel responsible any longer riding without the modern safety of traction control and ABS. It's too easy to slide the rear without them"

​How true, shortly after getting my '83 750 back on the road, a cager started to pull out in front of me on one of my favorite back roads, so I instinctively braked hard and the rear wheel locked up and started to swing out to the right! Fortunately he stopped and I was going in a straight line, so it hooked up again without a problem. Got to remember which bike I am on! and that the 83 doesn't have TC or ABS.

• Member Contributer

NCY2K, Sure am glad to hear you are OK, good luck on your healing process and hope you will find another VFR in your future.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the well wishes. Bike is sold and heading to TX, so I'll take a break from my 2-wheelin' for awhile and turn my attention to four until the kids are grown and out of the house: wife's orders.

Archived