Sad To See Our Boy, #69, Fade Into Oblivion

• Member Contributer

Bike kept cutting out all weekend. And Honda wants 180k for one, meh. Sad to see Nicky go like this as it was hard to watch Colin do the same thing. Nicky needs to just leave and try to get a competitive bike in WSBK. This deal is for the birds.

2015-MotoGP-08-Assen-Friday-0202-L.jpg

• Member Contributer

I agree, its quite sad. he should go to WSBK. In fact, he should have already gone. There is no point to him even being out there, as hard as he is trying its not going anywhere.

Hopefully Yamaha returns to WSBK with the new R1M. And Honda could use someone of his talent to ride the aging CBR1000RR.

Has the thought crossed your minds that he isn't in SBK because nobody wants him? He was a world champion 9 years ago, and hasn't seen any routine success since then. Nicky thinks he should be on a factory bike, but nobody else in the paddock thinks that.

Guintolli was SBK champ last year, and he can't manage to get that old CBR into the top 5, you think Nicky would?

Nobody is going to pick up a mid-pack MotoGP rider at the tail-end of his career, IMO. They can get some up-and-comer from BSB or MotoAmerica (Hayes or Baubier) way cheaper than they would ever get Hayden.

I re-read my post and it might come off a little more critical than I intended... Nicky seems like a nice guy who enjoys racing, but it doesn't make him any faster that he's a nice guy :P

I wish he was doing better, but the fact of the matter is he's lucky to finish as top open Honda against 2 rookies (Laverty and Miller, in particular)

Boo Hooo, Poor Nicky made 1.3M last year and 900K this year. Let me get a tissue

I say, good for him! Probably one of the lower paid guys in the GP paddock at that rate though. :wink:

Glad he got the 1 championship. He's no Kevin Schwantz or Wayne Rainey.

But he's had a lot more racing success than anyone here, afaik.

I'd rather root for a nice guy than a jerk. Better luck next time. Go Hayden! :beer:

I'd like to see some times from Nicky during off-season testing at Suzuka on Marquez' "B" bike and see once and for all if it's the machinery or the rider. (It'll never happen, but I can dream....)

No doubt, he works hard, but the bikes have come a long way since 2006 and the electronics are far more advanced.

And the "customer" bike is nowhere near what the factory bike is. No seamless shift gearbox, and last year, no pneumatic valves, but I think they got them this year.

Plus the chassis, swingarm, shock linkage, etc is probably 3 or 4 iterations behind the factory bike.

• Member Contributer

By no means am I trying to be a Nicky basher, just stating some facts here. In the year that Nicky one the championship (2006) It was due to luck, both good and bad. Yes Pedrosa crashed into him, but it was really Tony Elias who should get the credit for his championship, taking out Rossi, gave Hayden the 5 points lead he had over Rossi to get the championship. So those who keep harping on Pedrosa for crashing into him that year, it DID NOT AFFECT him from winning the championship!

In his 2006 championship winning season, both Hayden and Rossi had 10 podium finishes and 17 starts. However, for Rossi it was 5 1st, 4 2nd and 1 3rd place finish. For Nicky, it was almost the reverse. 2 1st, 3 2nd, and 5 3rd place finishes. Not a bad place to be but this would be his pinnacle. In the remaining seasons, from there on out, the highest he placed in the championships was 6th! That was in 2008 on a Honda. In the year immediately following his winning year, he was 8th with only 3 3rd place podiums. Currently he sits at his lowest so far (21st) since last year, which was 16th.His last podium was in 2011 and it was a 3rd place finish on a Ducati, all years since then he has been off the podium.

It's funny I had someone "argue" with me that he thought Pedrosa was not worthy of staying on the Honda and it should have been Nicky to stay on-board! Really? I had to point out that Pedrosa is just a better rider and is more deserving of the ride. Which brought the whole, "How many MotoGP championships has he won argument?" To be honest, none, but just as Hayden had good luck with winning Pedrosa has had some bad luck and just better riders show up after Hayden.

In the same year that Hayden won, Pedrosa was 5th in the standings. After that year, he was either 2nd, 3rd or 4th. Currently he is 10th, but that is understandable considering he was absent for a few races, but on his comeback race ended up 3rd on the podium! So maybe he hasn't won a championship but to say Hayden is the better rider, is inaccurate IMO. When I brought all of this up, the retort was "Well, he's on a better bike than Hayden". So what about the following year? Pedrosa was 2nd in the standings and as mentioned earlier, Hayden was 8th and the year after that he was 6th. No excuses here, they were on the same bike. It ended with a let's agree to disagree!

Cheers

Edited to clarify a topic.

• Member Contributer

Let's fly the flag one more time for Nicky!!! (who :unsure: ?)

:goofy:

20060723213709-0-6807.jpg

Most important,

Nicky is doing what he likes as a job; I like what I do as a job.

Nothing else matters....

:beer:

Nicky Hayden and Kenny Roberts Jnr, right place, right time to fall into a championship.

Like Steven Bradbury.

Why would anyone say Pedrosa has no championship titles up his sleeve? He has been world champion three times.

Pedrosa has been way more consistently higher up on the standings over time and the following stats would prove that:

World Champion 2003: 125 cc

World Champion 2004: 250 cc

World Champion 2005: 250 cc

2nd place: 2007, 2010 & 2012

3rd place: 2008, 2009 & 2013

4th place: 2011 & 2014

5th place: 2006

133 podiums, 49 race victories, 44 second place race finishes and 32 third place race finishes.

Hayden does come across as a nice guy. Who knows what he's like in his motorhome.

Pedrosa seems like a doorknob. Who knows what he's like in his motorhome.

It IS a shame to see the flame dwindle and no it's not a proper comparo if your not on the same bike over the same period of time.

Human psychology has demonstrated that our sense of self-preservation augments as we age. Rossi is the exception in this context. We are genetically programmed to test the limits when we are young in preparation for and actual survival. The older we get, the less we are physiologically capable of overcoming and healing from agressions and lesions and diseases. It's not usually a conscious decision. Some people seem to be missing that gene sequence or are more prone to be able to override the biological tendency. Like guys who climb rockfaces with no ropes and end up plummeting to their death... eventually.

If I were Hayden I would not be retiring either, as long as I still enjoyed racing. He is quite lucky to still be offered contracts given his performance, but the latter isn't the be all and end all in getting a job in MotoGP. There's more to it. There's selling motorbikes and creating customer fidelity and other factors...

I'm not paying his salary so I don't care.

Disclaimer: I am neither a Hayden nor a Pedrosa fan.

Nicky had a great run in GP's, you can't complain about 10 years on a factory bike while winning only 1 race outside the US. How many riders can say that? Swallow your ego and move on to WSBK, if he plays his cards right he could extend his career out just like Bayliss and Biaggi did while being relevant again.

Nicky had a great run in GP's, you can't complain about 10 years on a factory bike while winning only 1 race outside the US. How many riders can say that? Swallow your ego and move on to WSBK, if he plays his cards right he could extend his career out just like Bayliss and Biaggi did while being relevant again.

I think you're overestimating how fast Nicky is/was compared to Biaggi Max has 42 grand prix victories over 15 years (11 in the top class, mostly 2 stroke era) and 21 SBK wins. Nicky has 3 wins in MotoGP over 13 years.

Nicky is a fast rider compared to all of us, and a fair number of professional racers, but he is not comparable to Max Biaggi (I'm not a fan of Biaggi, for the record, but the numbers don't lie)

• Member Contributer

By no means am I trying to be a Nicky basher, just stating some facts here. In the year that Nicky one the championship (2006) It was due to luck, both good and bad.

Nicky won the championship in 2006 thanks to Yamaha and Michelin. Rossi had multiple motors seize up (In Lemans he was gone, so far out front, then kaboom the motor grenaded. And that wasn't the only time, also happened in Shanghai. Then he had his Michelins come completely apart. Bunch of DNF's sealed the deal for Hayden. Valencia, Rossi's team missed setup badly, and that was it. He tried to over ride the bad setting and went down.

I'm no Hayden fan, never have been, not even in the AMA, but he deserves better than what he has now. He needs to go to WSBK and get some kind of bike that is capable of getting on the podium. These satellite Hondas are nails.

And even though I'm not a fan, Hayden is American and I don't know when we will have another in GP.

• Member Contributer

Most important,

Nicky is doing what he likes as a job; I like what I do as a job.

Nothing else matters....

:beer:

Exactly! He has stated this in a few interviews, he enjoys the MotoGP class and wants to stay here as long as he has a bike to ride.

Why would anyone say Pedrosa has no championship titles up his sleeve? He has been world champion three times.

He meant MotoGP championships, as did I in my response.

Hayden does come across as a nice guy. Who knows what he's like in his motorhome.

Although I never been in his motor home I did meet him at the DStore in Costa Mesa, CA. There was an instructor from the Star Motorcycle School who knew Nicky and had invited him to meet the attendees. He ended up showing up on his road bicycle. He was very nice and VERY honest. He was very open about the ride he had at the time and how underwhelming it was, etc. but overall he seems like a guy you can have a beer with.

Pedrosa seems like a doorknob. Who knows what he's like in his motorhome.

Sad but so many people have this same impression of him. Unlike my chance meeting with Nicky, I have never met Pedrosa so can't say what he's like off the track.

It IS a shame to see the flame dwindle and no it's not a proper comparo if your not on the same bike over the same period of time.

If I were Hayden I would not be retiring either, as long as I still enjoyed racing. He is quite lucky to still be offered contracts given his performance, but the latter isn't the be all and end all in getting a job in MotoGP. There's more to it. There's selling motorbikes and creating customer fidelity and other factors...

I agree here too. If you get paid to do what you love to do, it's awesome.

• Member Contributer

Rossi knows where he will race after he resigns from motogp

post-8974-0-48769000-1435730050.jpg

:-)

He meant MotoGP championships, as did I in my response.

My apologies. I had always thought of "MotoGP" to be the entire Gran Prix Motorcycle racing championship, including all three categories or classes. Then this is divided into three displacement-based classes based on CCs. In Spain the largest displacement is known as "Queen Class"... then the smaller two are usually named by the CCs in question.

So I assumed you were both referring to the entire MotoGP racing shindig... also I guess I jumped to that conclusion because I fail to see why the smaller classes should not be taken into account, I immediately had them in mind... they are quite cut-throat albeit less dangerous. Probably a European thing as you don't see so many 125s and 250s over there at the ractracks or on the Street I imagine.

Ive never understood the need to focus on an american rider. Dont get me wrong, i am a flag waving 'merican, but Hayden represents himself, not the USA. I have national pride in the US women beating the huns in the world cip footie, not a millionaire on a bike.

• Member Contributer

and the US men beating the Dutch team 4-3................

I will root for riders from any country, if they are contenders,

and if they come off as decent guys, with character,

not jerks, or blocks of wood. :happy:

Archived