Just Bought 3 Interceptors - "two Outta Three Ain't Bad"

Waitara

I just bought an 84 and a pair of 86s plus a truck bed full of spare parts and manuals. They're all 500s. Is this the right forum?

The plan is to make one really nice one, one good runner that's a little ugly, and have a stash of parts and sell the rest on eBay.

The ugly one (the 84) would be a good candidate for a street-fighter, as everything on it that can be painted has been painted. silver wheels, black forks, red frame, olive drab tank, lower pointy-fairing-thing is gray primer. Upper fairing is original tricolor but was repaired and has a big primer spot.

I like the sound of the V4, and I've always liked the looks of the factory red/white/blue paint job. I heard a friend of a friend was selling three of them - I jumped on it. I've got about 5 exhaust systems - 2 Yoshimura (one is brand new) 2 factory systems (one is a new takeoff) and some cheap-looking "F1" system.

The nicer two bikes have been owned by the same man since the mid 80's. The 84 was bought new by a friend and 3 months later sold to a friend of his. (The man I bought them from)

The third bike (an 86) is a light wreck reported to have "engine trouble" no title, and not worth saving, other than a source of hardware and ebay fodder. Any suggestions as to what parts are worth keeping and what parts bring worthwhile money on ebay?

Rob

'13 Kawasaki KLR650

'71 Yamaha CT1 175 Enduro

'84, '86, '86 Honda Interceptor 500s

• Member Contributer

Welcome Aboard! One thing you'll need to provide here too is pics. As the saying goes... :worthlesswithoutpics:

Not 100% sure if this is the right sub-forum, but it is the right forum!

Ask and ye shall receive! Here's the better two. (84 on the left, 86 on the right)

post-33135-0-76063200-1433789745.jpg

• Member Contributer

You lucky Dog!

A fistful of 500's... I'm jealous

Welcome and good luck!

• Member Contributer

At work so can't type too much. But here's the quickie

84/85 engines are different than 86. Cannot swap heads between them.

Valve check often.

Awesome engines when running right.

Good parts are very hard to find (engine at least)

I have 2.5 engines (vtr250 was 1/2 500 engine essentially). All had a hole in one piston.

• Member Contributer

Got some Meat Loaf with the deal as well?? :goofy:

Last month I bought a VF500 for a finnish member here who came over to pick it up. Doing an Iron Butt the next day

Read all about it here

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80836-a-new-door-opens-a-vf500fii/?p=994262

In the download section (top of screen) you will find the VF500 shop manual

I liked that VF500 so much that I started looking at buying one myself...... (got the green light from "her indoors" :goofy: )

One was snapped up before I could say "mine", the other was a bit too dear and had a hole/leak in the Laser downpipes...

• Member Contributer

if I recall, a few of the parts are different between the '86 and the '84 ... something to consider while making the decision on which bike to keep....

• Member Contributer

if I recall, a few of the parts are different between the '86 and the '84 ... something to consider while making the decision on which bike to keep....

More than a few, more than you would think. Any questions as you go, you know where to ask.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. Very nice find. Good luck with your build.

Yes, the nicest bike has the rear seat hard cover, but it's a black seat. Not the correct red. The mess came with a spare new black cover, and a shot red seat. Not sure if I even like the hard tail. I'm more of a cargo guy - I did a motorcycle camping trip on my KLR, and I ride to work - and pack my lunch. It is sharp looking though!

My original picture had the future "street-fighter". This one is parts donor only. No title. Nothing on it is exceptional, or even nicer than the other two. Cheap-o aftermarket turn signals held together with zip ties, mis-matched generic tires... All the things that throw red flags when bike shopping. Looks like it sat outside much of its life.

I just listed it in the classifieds here. I don't have room for it so it's getting stripped and getting gone. Is the Pay-it-Forward thing a pain? Looks like I'm obligated to give it to the first responder, even if they can't pick it up for months? Or want me to ship it?

I stripped that third bike today. Frame is on Pay-it-Forward classifieds on this site. Motor would only turn a few degrees when spinning wheel in gear. I pulled the plugs before spinning, one was bent badly. Pulled the valve cover and saw a dropped valve. Pulled the head and saw this:post-33135-0-69319100-1434330823.jpgpost-33135-0-33288500-1434330838.jpg

Might not be readily visible - the valve head broke off, bounced around in there, then lodged itself into the piston.

It's a shame, the motor was spotless inside. 28k showing on the odometer.

Got a spare set of '86 indicators? :cool:

A few odd ones, but they weren't real nice. I'll probably keep them, as I've broken a few of those on other bikes and would like spares.

Nice find! Just in case that seat cowl and hardware end up on the "for sale" list, please color me interested! Hen's teeth . . .

Just checked ebay - seat cowls selling for up to $250?! Heck yes I'll be selling it! I'd be covering it with a tailbag anyhow. I ride to work and pack my lunch.

I'll let this thread know when I put it up for sale. PSJ, Preference given to fellow Frontier owners. :)

('12 Pro-4X 6-speed crew cab here)

Archived