Just Bought 3 Interceptors - "two Outta Three Ain't Bad"

Waitara

• Member Contributer

I will send Timmythecop round to "liberate" one of your headers+mufflers systems...............

Why can't you live in Europe??? :goofy:

Started diving into my VF500 next, will start a separate topic.... :beer:

I need to look into re-jetting for the Yoshimura exhaust. I'm not a big aftermarket muffler guy, but these sound so nice with loud pipes. I'll be selling the really nice stock system. The "F1" pipes aren't real pretty. They were on that third parts bike.

What is involved with re-jetting for aftermarket pipes? Are the jets labeled somehow? I have a spare carb set I'll steal jets out of, but how would I know what size they are? They were on the bike with aftermarket pipes, but who knows if it was re-jetted.

• Member Contributer

I need to look into re-jetting for the Yoshimura exhaust. I'm not a big aftermarket muffler guy, but these sound so nice with loud pipes. I'll be selling the really nice stock system. The "F1" pipes aren't real pretty. They were on that third parts bike.

What is involved with re-jetting for aftermarket pipes? Are the jets labeled somehow? I have a spare carb set I'll steal jets out of, but how would I know what size they are? They were on the bike with aftermarket pipes, but who knows if it was re-jetted.

If you found the download suggested on the first page of this thread that will have the correct jet size for stock carbs (these differ between 84-85 and the 86 model). You can then remove the carb set and jets to check the size of the installed jets versus stock.

• Member Contributer

Size is usually stamped into the top of the jet... the flat top surface where you screw them in from (if that makes any sense)

• 2 months later...

I got the "pretty one" running this morning. Started right up. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood. Think I'm going to sell them. I've had them 3 months and aside from moving them around the garage several times, I haven't had time to work on them.

That's sharp! I have the whole mess on Craigslist (York, PA) but will post in the classifieds too. Thinking of changing my craigslist ad to just the one good bike, maybe a separate ad for the project. There's another ad nearby for a guy selling 3 interceptors. (But one's a Magna) Tough market. LOL.

I *just* posted them when I made that last post. Craigslist says it takes 15 minutes to update its search. You should see it now. (Am I allowed to post links to my own stuff for sale?) I'm on so many forums and I can never keep the rules straight.

• Member Contributer

Could you do me a favour and takea couple detailed pictures of the seat cowl and add measurements like height and width?

And how it attaches to the rear cowl?

Pretty please?

wgregt has it right. I'll be selling it with the seat it's already attached to - one has to poke holes in the seat cover for the bolts, so a seat with holes in it isn't real valuable separately. There's a small metal tab that screws to the underside of the rear grab handle (do they already have the threaded hole? I didn't check the other bikes to see if they had them) and the key lock on the cover unlocks the cowl and allows it to pivot open so one has some storage area underneath. Enough for a jacket, perhaps. Mine is keyed the same as the ignition key, but the key only goes in the cowl maybe halfway - probably only the first two or three spots on the key. The ignition switch is very easy to remove and any competent locksmith should be able to key it to fit. Or I can throw in a key.

I can get some good pictures tomorrow. I won't be home until after dark tonight and my crummy iPad needs natural light to take good pictures in the garage.

I haven't had a single bite on the craigslist ad selling the whole mess. I'll redo the ad for ONE bike. Anyone "bottom feeding" for sub-$1500 bikes will see it in the search that way. Lousy time of the year to sell a bike in PA. I should mothball everything until that first warm weekend in April when everyone's tax return is burning a hole in their pocket. Any two-wheeled piece of junk sells in a weekend then.

I hate to break up the second bike, but I fear it may be the case where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

In other news, Something told me to drive my truck today instead of ride my KLR to work. Someone had a junk Chinese 250cc scooter with a "FREE" sign on it! Had I been on my bike I would have gone the "fun" way to work and not seen it. Now I have 6 bikes. LOL. I'm a shop teacher so I took it into school. The kids are VERY excited about working on it and getting it to run. Perfect project for them.

I *just* posted them when I made that last post. Craigslist says it takes 15 minutes to update its search. You should see it now. (Am I allowed to post links to my own stuff for sale?) I'm on so many forums and I can never keep the rules straight.

If this thread turns into a for sale ad it will get shut down.

Please post up in the Classifieds if you want to sell anything!

BR

If this thread turns into a for sale ad it will get shut down.

Please post up in the Classifieds if you want to sell anything!

BR

Thank you for the clarification. :)

Did I mention I got a POS chinese scooter for free this morning? I really should just carry a ramp and straps all the time.

• Member Contributer

BUMP on the pictures and measurements!!!!!!!

Additional question

Are the headers+collector box interchangeable between the VF500F (84) and the F2 (86)?

Or even the VF500C?

I know the cowl won't fit all years (84, 85, 86) because the tab has to be on the grabrail for it to fit/lock. Since the tab screws on, I know one year model doesn't have a place for the bolt on the underside of the grab rail.

I *think* it will fit 84 and 85, but not 86. That sound right?

• Member Contributer

I know the cowl won't fit all years (84, 85, 86) because the tab has to be on the grabrail for it to fit/lock. Since the tab screws on, I know one year model doesn't have a place for the bolt on the underside of the grab rail.

I *think* it will fit 84 and 85, but not 86. That sound right?

Correct. The 86 handle is not threaded and is also taller. But a 84 -85 handle will bolt on to an 86 no prob.

• Member Contributer

Well, my seat pan has holes in the sides and the 2 latches got tapped holes.

post-8974-0-70258300-1442080664.jpg

post-8974-0-52814800-1442080708.jpg

Now, what about the pictures and measurement eh?

• 3 weeks later...

While the VF 500 is the SMOOTHEST-running motorcycle engine i've ever found, too many potential mechanical issues make it a doubtful ride. Too many newbe owners and inexperienced mechanics have rendered most of them partsbikes only by now. Then there are the valve dropping issues related to high rpm valve float and subsequent damage to the tips, leading to a misfortunate failure like most of them by now.

• Member Contributer

Potential mechanical issues? Like not regularly checking and adjusting valve clearances? Hardly the VF's fault is it? What other issues are you talking about?

What do you reckon as too high RPM for the engine?

Archived