Lower Fairing Decals, Y2K

jeffyjeff

• Member Contributer

Made an offer on a Y2K 5th gen tonight...the offer was accepted and I pick up the bike tomorrow. Now I did not notice until I was checking out my cell phone pix that the front fairing decals are missing (both sides). A cursory browse through Google images showed a number of yellow Y2K bikes do not have the decals. What's up? Didn't all Y2K bikes have the VFR decal on the front fairing? This bike looks pristine, but who knows, maybe the previous owner had a thing about decals, or maybe there was some body work done to it. Any ideas???

Thanks, Jeff J.

post-20466-0-04502200-1429674931.jpg

• Member Contributer

To the best of my knowledge there were supposed to be VFR decals on the lower cowls and also a "Honda" decal just above the headlight on the nose cowl. My guess would be that the previous owner didn't like the look of the decals and peeled them off. Since the Honda decal and VFR decal were applied after painting they were easily removable, whereas the Honda Wing decals on the fuel tank are under the clear coat. You mention that you made an offer on a Y2K bike which I would assume means the bike is a 2000 model. If so, the yellow was only available for 98-99 model years at least in North America IIRC.

Regardless of reason it looks like you have a fantastic looking example of the fastest colour VFR. The yellow is a great colour and the bike looks awesome. Hope you enjoy yours as much as the rest of us have come to enjoy ours. LOL.

• Member Contributer

JJ and ZZ,

The yellow was only available in the US in the Y2K model. And I think your rear cowl is a Corbin piece Jeffy. The stock ones were solid one piece. The PO probably got that when he got the seat which also appears to be a Corbin. I believe it functions like a glove box if you got the key from him?? Your bike looks great and I think you will discover in short order that it is probably the safest color to ride on the street. You will get many compliments and an occasional "Is that a Ducati??"

• Member Contributer

Yeah, the seat and cowl are one piece. It's a nice touch, but unfortunately there is an unsightly gap on the left side. Might be able to adjust that out. Luckily for me, I get the stock seat and exhaust can with it. Got 115,000 miles on my '98, only 24,900 on this new one. This one's a bit different, notably there is no fuel enrichment lever on the left grip. The bike rides like new, the transmission shifts silky smooth. Other than the exhaust and seat, it's bone stock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vfr-800i-1999-decals-sticker-graphics-logo-adhesivi-aufkleber-kit-set-logo-vfr-/111630982639?hash=item19fdb99def

That set it intended for the non-US Yellow bike built in '99, and has a more gray than black tone to it. However, his kits appear to be very good in terms of resembling the original sticker shape and such. You could reach out to him and see if he has the black set that would be used on the US Y2K Yellow bike.

There should be the two Honda wings on the tank (not stickers you can remove or replace without a paint job), the "VFR" at the lower point on each fairing, a "Honda" on the front (behind the windscreen), and a curved "Honda" on the tail (behind the seat).

Yes, it should have had decals on it from Honda. As others said, the PO just pulled them off (if the bike hasn't been painted).

The seat is a Corbin Smuggler. Pretty pricey option and could be sold if you don't care for it. I don't remember exactly, but I think they were $500 or $600 when new.

• Member Contributer

I have a Corbin Smuggler for my Y2k as well, and yes, the gap is the way they made them... I now use the Corbin seat with the OEM cowl (it works perfectly), but I keep the Smuggler just in case I want the storage space on a long ride or something.

(Canadian VFRs were available in the "ROW" colours, rather than the very limited "one-color-per-year-and-just-be-grateful-it-isn't-red-every-year" American Honda color policy...)

I'm not sure about those decals--ROW bikes had decals that said "PGM-FI & Dual CBS", rather than "Interceptor" below the "VFR".

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I have that same D & D can. it's loud, but I prefer it over that 25 pound stock muffler....

It's heavy... but not quite that heavy!

I think it was 11 - 12 lbs when I weighed mine with the clamp on & gasket inside the pipe.

Yes, as others noted... lower fairing U.S. decals look like this:

gallery_19432_6525_93371.jpg

It's a "gentlemen's" bike and Honda didn't put many flashy decals due to market analysis data

• Member Contributer

It looks much better with the decals.

YMMV.

And they may cut down on the number of people asking "What is it?" or "Is that a Ducati?"

I'm not sure about those decals--ROW bikes had decals that said "PGM-FI & Dual CBS", rather than "Interceptor" below the "VFR"....

Here's my departed Y2K UK model green 'un with those decals (and the extra HECS3 item below the Sargent seat)

post-4110-0-61618500-1429824328.jpg

Precise details of decals and placement are on the parts fiche.

• Member Contributer

Bike Bandit has the OE decals for $29.64. I am assuming that I'll need to buy 2. Anybody know how these go on? Are they like the car model decals you got when you were a kid e.g. do you soak them in water first? Or is it a one time shot, get it right the first time or you'll put an air bubble under the decal??

• Member Contributer

On line, at least, when I clicked "check availability" said "ships within 3-4 business days.. I have a few odds and ends to order, maybe I'll just add two decals to the order. At least with Bike Bandit I can send them back if they don't look correct.

• Member Contributer

Bike Bandit has the OE decals for $29.64. I am assuming that I'll need to buy 2. Anybody know how these go on? Are they like the car model decals you got when you were a kid e.g. do you soak them in water first? Or is it a one time shot, get it right the first time or you'll put an air bubble under the decal??

I bought an OEM set about 18 to 24 months ago so would presume they're still available. They came on Scotchcal film so apply like clear bra material. I like to dry fit them by temporarily taping in place with blue painters tape to locate corners and keep edges straight. Some tape on the panel in strategic places is useful as a guide for final fitting. Then mix some water with 10% to 20% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle. Spray the panel down good then peel and place in the general location using the tape guides placed previously. The liquid allows it to be moved to suit. Once located I take a silicone squeegee and from the center out begin carefully and slowly working out the bubbles. I got a squeegee at an auto paint supply store that's used to apply bondo - just rigid enough to work out bubbles but flexible enough to follow the contour of the panel. It is possible to peel the decal back slightly if a bubble is missed, but if peeled too far back it will stretch the decal, so better just to live with the bubble. Pop it with a needle and squeegee it down - if it's a small one no one will ever notice. Give us some pics when complete - that's a nice looking Y2K!

Cheers

• Member Contributer

So you apply a water/alcohol solution to the panel before you apply the decal? Doesn't that affect the adhesion of the decal?

So you apply a water/alcohol solution to the panel before you apply the decal? Doesn't that affect the adhesion of the decal?

The liquid allows the decal to "float" a little for minor position adjustments, and the squeegee will remove pretty much all of it - along with air bubbles. Anything left behind will dry out under the decal (that's why you mix it with alcohol). This is very similar to how window tint film is applied, execpt that's a soap and water solution.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OK. Here is to confirm that the decals are still available from Bike Bandit. $29.64 each.

Put them on today. I followed Cogswell's advice. He pointed me to a website for Tankslapper, a company that makes protective film for tank and fairing applications. The Youtube videos on their website show what he is talking about. The decals went on flawlessly.

I have to say that using the water-alcohol solution is really the way to go. Since the liquid is not compressible, it makes working the bubbles out from under the decal much easier than if I had done it dry.

Thanks, Cogswell, for the valuable tip.

Jeff J.

post-20466-0-90193300-1431304423.jpg

post-20466-0-47586600-1431304444.jpg

post-20466-0-98328100-1431304462.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A friend of mine had a red ST1100 and didn't like the decals so he took everything 'Honda' off the bike and replaced them with badges from a car company in Maranello, Italy.

They were shield shaped and had a small pin sticking out the back like a 'tie tack' that he pushed through

the Tupperware.

I was amazed how many people thought they had seen their first Ferrari motorcycle.

LH

A friend of mine had a red ST1100 and didn't like the decals so he took everything 'Honda' off the bike and replaced them with badges from a car company in Maranello, Italy.

They were shield shaped and had a small pin sticking out the back like a 'tie tack' that he pushed through

the Tupperware.

I was amazed how many people thought they had seen their first Ferrari motorcycle.

LH

I saw a black one at Riders Hill in Dahlonega Sunday just like that. Had "Ferrari" on the tank and a badge on each side fairing.

OK. Here is to confirm that the decals are still available from Bike Bandit. $29.64 each.

I'm guess you ordered 2 of the same part number?

Looking at the bike I'm sure nobody would notice, but for the really anal people, they are different side to side.

Archived