Practical Sportsbikes; Phase 2

VF1000RS

• Member Contributer

Couple pages from the mag with my R. March 2015 issue. Waiting for my mags to get here, probably available in the USA end of March/first part of April. post-10340-0-76695700-1425438700.jpgpost-10340-0-15290100-1425438714.jpgpost-10340-0-22038400-1425438726.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice Bike!!!

... and congrats on the article!!!!

Did you do the Honda snail loop on the rear exhaust header primaries? It's hard to tell from the pics...

• Member Contributer

Very cool Tom. I like seeing shots of it NOT in front of the garage door. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately those are the only pics I have of the actual article. A friend from Europe was kind enough to send those as my care package from the UK has not arrived yet. I will scan some when that arrives.

Kelly, it was good to get the "Mutant" out on the road in the middle of January. We have had so much snow that turns to ice on my street this year. The sun gave us a very short reprieve and melted the ice the middle of January so we were right up against the deadline to get the pictures in. The following day it snowed again. The shot with me in it had to be against the door (as we had forgotten to get that shot during the previous photo session) and we were once again iced in. At least the sun was out that day!

The exhaust does not have a loop under the tail. It is on my list of things to "fix" on this bike. I built this bike a very long time ago (1998-2003) and it was essentially my first custom build. I've learned quite a bit since. I plan on working the exhaust a slight bit different probably about the time I build an engine to include these: (and a couple other things).

post-10340-0-30617200-1425503694.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I will.

Not sure what the magazine situation is where everyone lives but we get Practical Sportsbikes at Barnes and noble here.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that!

My VF1000F was in the mag last June. Not sure if back issues are available. Might be able to scan some pics of that article.

• Member Contributer

Very nice! Your work and the Mutant continues to inspire!

if we could just get the temperatures above freezing out here I could put that inspiration into motion...

Thanks for sharing :)

• Member Contributer

Very nice. Any magazine with that much good taste will get my $6 for the issue.

I wouldn't have an R if your bike hadn't inspired me to go out and get one. :beer:

The electronic version of the mag is available now in iTunes or Google Play. Google version was $5.99.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Cap'n.

Not sure how "kosher" it would be for me to post high resolution images of copy righted material.

• Member Contributer

I'll check B&N near me. It's run by college kids though, so it's normally open well after I get to work, and closed before I get home. The one in rochester used to get Superbike UK, but I've never seen a Practical Sportsbike mag around me.

• Member Contributer

Is it a good magazine to get? I haven't really found one I liked other than Superbike UK, but they announced recently (Jan or Feb) that (if I read it right) John bought the rights to the mag and it will now only be digital with a magazine release every 6 months. So there went the plans of getting that subscription worked out. My dad got Rider somehow (probably free) but it seems to be written by people who care so little about bikes their reviews are barely a copy and paste of the manufacturer's spec page.

• Member Contributer

"Practical Sportbike" is the best mag out there the only one i buy anymore. Last month had a 11 pg article on a RC30/VFR50R in Athens GA, this month 6 pgs on Barber Museum and 9 pgs on the VFR750F and it being the best all-rounder the world had ever seen, next month this VFR100RS...

• Member Contributer

again best mag out there, just so happened the last couple of months they have also covered the best bikes out there

• Member Contributer

Congrats again Tom, as I said before it was great to see your bike gracing the pages of a Brit Bike Magazine

I could not agree more, it is the best bike magazine in the world.

Back in Feb. I was lucky enough to attend the MCN London Motorcycle Show at the Excel Center.

I had a great chat with Jim Moore the editor and later on Gary Hurd the technical guy for the magazine. And yes, Toms name came up when I gave Jim my card (my VF1000R is on it).

Their VF400R project is one sweet machine also!

post-19876-0-44928500-1425842750.jpg

post-19876-0-18666700-1425842929.jpg

post-19876-0-21424400-1425843275.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks Michael. That little 400 was a good read as a project. Very cool you got to see it in person.

As far as the mag goes, it's the only one I buy religiously except for the occasional classic motorcycle mechanics magazine.

They cover the bikes I care about. I haven't bought a U.S. mag since probably the early 90's.

Archived