Weight Removal And Needless Crap!

adeyren

• Member Contributer

CandyRedRC46 made the following comment in an earlier comment::

"There is so much unnecessary weight and clutter on these bikes. Stripping them down, less weight means that the suspension/engine/brakes have less work to do and perform better, easier; less clutter just makes general maintenance easier (oil changes suck with the evap canister in place, removing it allows easier oil changes with the bigger pl14610 filter)".

What exactly is the best way to remove weight without making the bike look like a streetfighter ie keeping its original looks? Also without using mega expensive wheels!

Exactly how do you delink the brakes on a 5th gen? Never been a big fan of the rear brake anyway except when i really need to stop FAST. Plus i bet it makes bleeding the brakes easier.

Sure i read a comment somewhere that said for every kilo of weight lost there is a corresponding increase in BHP.

I'm sure CandyRed will post about his mods, which are numerous like unto the sands of the sea, but there are easy ways.

Google search evap cannister removal, PAIR system removal, a light weight battery would help, you already have an aftermarket exhaust.

Brake de-link is a little more in depth, and may or may not be worth it. Newer bikes even have linked brakes, cause they work pretty well, but it's your call.

Things get pricey after that.

• Member Contributer

Luckily us UK guys dont have the evap can. Have blanked off my pair valve hoses but wouldnt mind removing the whole shebang but never seen PAIR plates here in the UK unless anyone knows bettter. Can anyone your side point me to some over there?

• Member Contributer

Luckily us UK guys dont have the evap can. Have blanked off my pair valve hoses but wouldnt mind removing the whole shebang but never seen PAIR plates here in the UK unless anyone knows bettter. Can anyone your side point me to some over there?

PM Mello Dude.

Here's what I did to my 4th gen to lose some weight..... maybe you can do similar things to your bike.....

Most slip-on cans are close to just half the weight of OEM exhaust cans on VFRs.

I think Iost about 7 pounds off the bike when I switched over from OEM to a stainless steel Staintune high right can on my 4th gen.

Taking off the center stand took of about three pounds on my bike, IIRC.

If you usually ride solo on your bike, you might also consider taking off the rear peg/bracket assemblies. along with that, take off your rear passenger grab handles from the bike. I did this to my 4th gen/now monoposto.....

I also took off the heavy lug nut wrench and extension from under my saddle too, as I don't see myself having to take off the rear wheel from my bike when I'm on the road, so they stay in my tool box in my garage. Must be at close to two pounds there.....

Replaced the steel shift lever to a cast aluminum one designed for a 5th gen...... just a little weight lost, but still something......

Removed reflectors where I can....

De-snokling must have counted for a few ounces....

The lower/shorter VTR bars must be some ounces off too......

I also took off my rear license plate light assembly (US DOT compliant) and mounted my licnese plate directly on to my shortened rear fender. cut in and Installed a window/lens under the tail light to illuminate my plate instead. Could be close to a pound off there.....

I also lost at least 20 pounds (165 pounds these days) since I bought my 4th gen in 1995, so I think I'm covering most of the bases in my VFR weight loss plan :rolleyes: ....

The bike's still quite a porker compared to the newest bikes out there, but there certainly has been an improvement as the bike does not feel like an undersrpung wallowing whale in most conditions, except when I push it really hard in the twisties.....

• Member Contributer

I think the general rule of thumb is 7 pounds equal 1 hp. So it is beneficial to lighten, but you really have to go far to gain much. Sometimes it's easier to lighten the rider!

De-linking is possible, but really it's better to remove the front suspension and replace with something better, then find a way to get all three rear pistons working from the brake pedal. Lots of threads on both.

Personally, I like having a tool kit and center stand. They have come in handy while far from home. Even on other people's bikes who didn't feel it necessary to bring tools. Or tighten their axle bolt and pinch bolts before leaving...

I think that about covers it. Plus a 520 sprocket kit. I think the best bang for the buck delink will be superhawk forks for the 5th gen guys and cbr600 f4i forks for the 6th gen guys.

I just got super lucky and scored a complete R1 front end and cbr954 triples, clip ons, etc from a guy that had everything already set up for his 4th gen that hydro locked the engine.

Changed stock exhaust for lighter slip on, Lead battery for Lithium.

SWAG 10 pounds less here? :unsure:

I can't tell a difference in weight. The thing still weighs over 500 pounds. :rolleyes:

But, it sounds better, and the battery holds a charge and starts it up better. :biggrin:

Here's a thought: change to metric (it IS a metric bike, after all); that will reduce the numbers by more than 50% ! :goofy:

A bike that weighs 227 kilos is no easier to pick up off it's side than a bike that weighs 500 pounds. :comp13:

Now, it if only weighed 35.7 stone. It would be like a feather. :laugh:

I've dedicated my 5th Gen to solo riding, so the pillion pegs and brackets are gone. Bike looks better as well. As previously mentioned, the simplest weight loss is to work on the rider.

post-3159-0-19567800-1421502842.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've dedicated my 5th Gen to solo riding, so the pillion pegs and brackets are gone. Bike looks better as well. As previously mentioned, the simplest weight loss is to work on the rider.

I raced bicycles for years and I would see guys spend thousands on Carbon fiber this and Titanium that and carry LB's on their body like it didn't matter. I am not making any personal statements but, pounds are pounds. It is a complete package. No stones are being tossed, I put on ten in two years because of a bad back and lack of motivation to train :491:

Archived