Center Stand Or Pitbull?

Rider14

• Member Contributer

A blanket statement like that is not always true. A bike that leans sufficiently and has tires with stiff sidewalls, almost all tires anymore, is not very likely to tip over. I'm speaking from past experience with my '99.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A blanket statement like that is not always true. A bike that leans sufficiently and has tires with stiff sidewalls, almost all tires anymore, is not very likely to tip over. I'm speaking from past experience with my '99.

Them are some mighty stiff sidewalls!! Must be the Run-Flat tires I keep hearing about. I've changed more than a dozen sets of tires with my NoMar in the past 3yrs or so. None are anywhere close to stiff enough not to go completely flat with the weight of a typical motorcycle.

190/55 has a height of about 4.1". The typical kick stand on a bike like the VFR1200 sits at about 12" from the centerline of the bike. Do the math and you'll see that losing 4" of ride height will reduce the lean angle by some 20 degrees. No bike I've owned leans that much on the kickstand. Most lean about 10 deg at most.

When my rear tire decided to smoke a cigar on the last weekend trip, that rear tire collapsed in less than a minute. Sidewall stiffness?! Yeah, it was about as stiff as a wet noodle. The centerstand saved the day. It took all my might to lift the sagged bike onto the center stand, but at least it was an working option. Kick stand was useless.

post-23836-0-81141700-1420650884.jpg

I don't really see the point of a Pitbull stand if you have or can get a much simpler to use center stand.

Us 4th genners are lucky, We can remove the center stand and reinstall back, literally it in seconds (without the springs) to act like a service stand. I've had my center stand off the bike for many years now and have not missed it one bit on the road. If the 7th gen stand can be treated as such you might consider this approach.....especially if you want to lose a bit of weight on your bike.....

I don't really see the point of a Pitbull stand if you have or can get a much simpler to use center stand.

Us 4th genners are lucky, We can remove the center stand and reinstall back, literally it in seconds (without the springs) to act like a service stand. I've had my center stand off the bike for many years now and have not missed it one bit on the road. If the 7th gen stand can be treated as such you might consider this approach.....especially if you want to lose a bit of weight on your bike.....

On the 7th Gen, the Pitbull slides into the spot where the center stand mounts. Lifts in seconds. Combine it with the Pitbull front stand that lifts from the steering stem and you have great way to service the bike quickly.

DSCF2467

It doesn't look like it because of the angle, but the tires are a few inches off the ground. If I get a flat on the road, I call roadside assistance. :)

If I have a choice, I'd have both a center stand and F&R stands. As an example, I installed a center stand on my Speed Triple R, and I got a T-Rex SSSA rear stand for it too. best of both worlds.

The VFR1200, however, forces me to choose one. :mad:

I chose center stand, because when I'm in my garage, I have all my tools at my disposal to mitigate any disadvantage the CS has compared to a rear stand. If I don't have what I need, my cars are only 5ft away... Occasionally, my wife comes to check on how I'm doing, and brings me a tall cold beverage to boot. And if I get frustrated with what I'm working on, I always have the options of calling it quits, stroll back in the house, wash my hands, and go relax on the couch reading VFRD.

Out on the open road on a touring bike, I have none of those luxuries. That center stand may be the difference between sleeping in a warm bed and staying up all night watching for grizzly bears.

I have stands for both ends of my VFR but neither stand is any good outside my workshop. I am with Volfy on this one as like him I have run a big nail through the rear tire in the middle of nowhere by myself. The center stand and a tire plug kit saved me from a long wait for my wife with the bike trailer.

I use a pit bull front stand but prefer my Heindl rear shop stand. It uses the hollow swing arm mount bolt to lift the rear. Works on all my bikes both standard swing arms and single side types. I also have a conventional pit bull rear stand for use at the track. Fine for chain maintenance or changing a tire on a conventional swing arm but useless when you need to remove a shock or the swing arm. The Heindl does it all in the shop.

@dynajohn, does that Heindle stand look something like this? If a stand like this would work while still having a center stand that would be awesome... Only reason I don't have either is my fear of commitment.

pivot_blk1.jpg

That Heidl stand sure looks nice. Didn't know it existed. Thanks! It will be on my list of things to get... long list, unfortunately.

For now, my poor man's universal pivot stand does a pretty good job. I've got a couple of different size rods (thanks, Lowes) that cover just about every bike I've tried so far.

IMG_4204_zpsc850e9ef.jpg

• Member Contributer

I have run a big nail through the rear tire in the middle of nowhere by myself. The center stand and a tire plug kit saved me from a long wait for my wife with the bike trailer.

Just curious, how did the center stand help in this instance. Of the two or three times I've had something go into my tire I've been able to stop, plug it and, still have enough air in the tire to ride the bike. Though I always had a pump so I just topped off the tire rather than riding it 10-15psi low. Of course it isn't always going to be the case where you catch the tire going flat early on before it goes flat but assuming it did loose all the air I don't see how fixing the flat was made possible by the center stand. Couldn't you just fix the tire while it was on the side stand? Move the bike so you can get to the punctured portion of the tire and plug away.

• Member Contributer

Doesn't Cycle Gear make a "Pit Bull" alternative? I have purchased their regular stands and frankly, they're great.

A bike stand seems more stable than a center stand. If you need to do chain cleaning, a center stand is a must. With a shaft drive, not so much. However:

Side stand definitely more stable in my opinion, in most cases. no rocking for an aft, wider footprint side to side. Plastic puck under the kickstand in dirt and you're solid as a rock if anyone decides to lean on it.

With a Park n Move or similar dolly, you can roll the bike around with less profile than the Bursig stand:

post-3139-0-85239800-1420906049.jpg

• Member Contributer

I do chain cleaning while up on my pit bull all the time, the pin is mounted through a bearing so the wheel spins. What is difficult is adjusting the chain, moving the eccentric around, on the rear stand.

I use a pitbull front and rear. Well built stands, work excellent. I like the stability the rear adds when working with the rear wheel off over a center stand. Front stand is also excellent, but it does take a bit of space. Conversely, I stick with cheaper/lighter/smaller stands for the track bike, the pitbulls are too large, bulky/heavy to tote around to the track.

That's the stand crackerjack. Have had one since 2006. It has worked well on 2-ZX14's and my VFR 1200.

swimmer I didn't say the tire couldn't be repaired, it was just a lot easier and more stable with the center stand on the side of a busy interstate. My tire went completely flat by the time I could get across 3 lanes of traffic and parked in a safe place to see what had happened . With the tire flat the bike sits almost upright on the side stand. With it on the center stand it was a simple matter of rolling the rear tire to find the large nail which was just off of the tire center. You need a strong back though to lift the bike onto the centerstand with a flat rear tire. I use a tire plug kit with CO2 cartridges to refill the tire.

I have to say my HD Superglide has the best side stand for parking stability of any bike I have owned. The side stand locks in place when leaned over. The side stand will not fold up with the bike leaned over on it like every Japanese bike I have owned if pushed forward.

• Member Contributer

I only have the centerstand and have changed oil, tires, brake pads and clutch plates without problems using only it. Whether you get a pitbull or not a centerstand for me is a no brainer since it really does not subtract much but adds a whole lot. The ability to do roadside repairs with it is it's greatest value.

• Member Contributer

swimmer I didn't say the tire couldn't be repaired, it was just a lot easier and more stable with the center stand on the side of a busy interstate.

Yes, no doubt that having a center stand could make things easier.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Well sometimes you are presented with an opportunity that you can't pass up. I found this PitBull single sided swing arm stand for $60! It currently has pins for a Ducati but for another $30, I was able to order the pin for the VFR! Still would like a Bursig stand but like was said, you can't go wrong with a PitBull stand!

post-23057-0-84190500-1424832138.jpg

post-23057-0-64866200-1424832154.jpg

post-23057-0-32260100-1424832170.jpg

Can't go wrong with PitBull. I have their convention F&R stands. Also got a T-Rex SSSA stand for the S3R, even though I installed a center stand on it. Good to have the option to go either way. Only wish Honda had made the VFR1200 SSSA able to accept these stands.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I purchased the ABBA Stand after reading this thread. I'm pretty happy with the product.

post-5871-0-54969000-1426765999.jpg

post-5871-0-26040300-1426766031.jpg

post-5871-0-00052300-1426766060.jpg

I was really tempted to get that Abba stand. Even set the purchase up. But then they came back and said that the kit to lift the front wheel as well didn't work on the 1200. then I found a pitbull pretty cheap.

• Member Contributer

There is a picture somewhere on this forum of a guy who lifted the front and back of his VFR1200 using only the pitbull stand. He pulled the back of the bike down with a strap tied to the pitbull stand I believe. I've searched all over and can't find that pic. Does anyone recall which thread that is posted in?

Archived