Center Stand Or Pitbull?

Rider14

• Member Contributer

Can't decide if I should purchase the OEM center stand or just pick up the Pitbull stand designed for VFR1200's.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? What benefit is there to the centerstand when the bike is shaft driven? (e.g., no need to clean/oil chain...)

All input appreciated. Even nonsense! (it is winter here in Chicagoland).\

- Dan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I like having a center stand on my VFR800's but I think i have rarely used it other than for service in the garage. I used to use the center stand when parking on "soft" soil surfaces, but find that I rarely do that now too. The only benefit(s) for not having a center stand, at least that I can think of, is less weight and no worrying about scraping it while in a lean (not that I've had that problem...yet). As far as benefit(s) for having one, makes service work easy and no stands to trip over when walking around the bike, although Pit Bull has some stands with removable levers to help alleviate that issue. Also, if you have to do any "on the road" service work then having the stand built it does make it much easier to get the rear wheel off the ground if/when needed. Pit Bull stands are definitely a well built stand but I was looking into the Bursig stand (http://www.bursigusa.com/bursig-center-lift-stand/) as this allows you roll the bike around and lifts both wheels off the ground, however they do not make it for the VFR800, but do for the VFR1200.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

Me personally, I like a centerstand. My kids like to sit on the bike when I am tinkering or washing. I also would use the centerstand when parked on suspect terrain. Now that I have the 7th gen, I can't see shelling out the money for both. So for maintenance it will most likely be the Pitbull stands since you cannot use the centerstand in conjunction with a front stand and have the rear wheel off the ground.

As for the Abba stands, you can only get the centerstand for it. None of the other goodies are compatible with the VFR1200. I had to cancel my order when they discovered their error.

luvtoleanit it will be here soon to tell you how awesome the Pitbull stands are.They seem to have a very devout following much like the VFR!

• Member Contributer

I know I don't have a 1200, but my lower front and raised rear makes my center stand virtually useless. Pit Bull stands are great!

Oh, I just remembered I have an ST1300! LOL! Center stand and shaft drive, but I rarely use the C stand except in the garage to save space. (Takes up less room then when leaned over...)

i use the center stand 100% of the time...i only use the side stand to get off of the bike and put it up on the center stand...it just feels more secure to me when parked...easy to clean too

I loved having the center stand for washing and oil changes, outside of that I considered taking it off. My biggest issue with the factory stand is that I would scrape in on the ground in left hand turns. Needless to say, it upset the bike when it would drag. I have used Pitbull stands in the past and love them. My next VFR I will not have the factory stand and will purchase a Pitbull to leave in the garage.

• Member Contributer

I'm leaning towards the pitbull stand. More weight and less ground clearance are changes I'd rather not make...

-Dan

• Member Contributer

That Bursig stand is interesting... I Assume it requires a part be installed on the bike for it to 'grip' for lifting?

Honestly, I use both.

I considered taking off my center stand, but it has many uses. Weight is a non-issue, it's so low you wont ever notice a difference. It makes the bike 'slimmer' for the garage, and makes maintenance easier, especially when working on the left side of the bike.

I do have front and rear T-Rex stands, because for in depth maintenance they are much more stable, and I don't feel comfortable raising the front wheel on just the centerstand. They also raise the bike higher.

Oh, and the centerstand-being-more-stable-than-the-sidestand comment is rubbish. The triangle profile is much narrower, and is more prone to tipover.

• Member Contributer

CAn't do both in the 1200, since the pitbull lifts the bike by sliding a pin in the mounts for the OEM center stand (which would be impossible if the center is there)...

90% of my riding is local, or in well inhabited areas. Of course, during that 10% I'll probably want it, but I'm leaning heavily towards the pitbull - I like to lean over and don't want to minimize ground clearance...

-Dan

Although I like using my Motech center stand from Twisted Throttle for changing oil, cleaning etal, it is difficult to to get the bike up on the stand. Other's say the OEM stand is easy to use. Try before you buy.

• Member Contributer

...lifts the bike by sliding a pin in the mounts for the OEM center stand (which would be impossible if the center is there)...

I believe this is how the Bursig and Abba stands work as well. I have a pit bull standard swing arm stand that I got for $80! They really are beefy. From a few other forums, I saw the stand I have used with a single sided swing arm, but requires a metal rode to go through the center of the rear hub. The only issue with this, is that you can't remove the rear wheel once on the stand. With the 1200, you couldn't do it because of the shaft drive, which is probably why the Bursig/Abba solutions use the center stand hole.

• Member Contributer

Oh, and the centerstand-being-more-stable-than-the-sidestand comment is rubbish. The triangle profile is much narrower, and is more prone to tipover.

Well, I can honestly say I have never had my bike roll off the center stand, even with the lowered front and raised rear... can't say the same for the side stand

sure there are times when the center stand is not the best option, but MY bike is normally on the center stand..i feel more comfortable that way

• Member Contributer

It's a matter of geometry and weight distribution. Side stand is more stable.

Depends on conditions and axis of force... side to side on a hard surface I agree, it is more stable. Back to front I respectfully disagree...

• Member Contributer

luvtoleanit it will be here soon to tell you how awesome the Pitbull stands are.They seem to have a very devout following much like the VFR!

They are just the industry standard.

• Member Contributer

If you use the centerstand on soft surfaces, i.e. grass, dirt, then it's almost a certainty the bike will go over. The small foot of the centerstand will sink and the large foot, the one with the lifting tang, will not. Since it doesn't take much past center for the bike to topple over, it will. A larger footprint will be more stable than a narrow one, up to a point of course, a bike on the centerstand takes less force to tip over than one on the sidestand. Provided the bike is in gear of course.

A sidestand gives you the option of putting a larger surface under the foot and greatly reduces the possibility of it sinking. If the bike is in gear it simply cannot move enough to roll off the sidestand, unless you're parking on the side of a mountain. If it doesn't/can't roll off the sidestand, the only other option is for it to fall to the offside, and this will require that the bike move from leaned over to full upright and then on over. Basically impossible.

• Member Contributer

That doesn't make the side stand less stable, just an instance of being inattentive.

An "instance of being inattentive"... thank you, that sounds so much nicer!

I just thought I was a dumb@ss !!!

PS: I agree leaving it in gear when on the side stand and your most stable... problem I ran into was when warming up the bike on the side stand.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before... the kick stand is useless when the rear tire runs out of air. Park your bike after picking up a nail and see it for yourself. :cool:

I'd rather have the choice.

Archived