Thoughts On 4Th Gen Vfr As A Track Bike?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Here's my view on it now that I've gone through buying a track bike for a couple track days a year. I bought a track-prepped Honda F2 for $400. It was sitting in a junk yard, but had a lot of goodies on it, like a Fox shock, F3 front and rear, track bodywork, steering damper, .ect. It took me most of the winter, spring, and summer to get it sorted, since it was just one issue after the other. I've still haven't done the track day (once due to bike electrical issue, twice due to life issues). So sorting out a wreck is going to be time consuming.

After all the work I did, for a couple hundred more from what I had put into it (over $1k, including tires, chain, sprockets), I could have bought almost what I had rebuilt, but ready to go with better rearsets and bodywork.

Since you have a 6th gen, I would be more hesitant to take it on the track strictly due to the side mount radiators. I know many people on here have taken their 6th gen to the track without issue, but something to think about.

• Member Contributer

To me the track isn't about racing, unless you are racing, it's to have a place to ride with less obstacles, distractions, while on surface tailored to motor vehicles so you can improve your skills. What you ride shouldn't be as important as to how you ride, choosing the right lines, braking points, trail braking or what ever other skill you want to improve or practice. So if the bike you ride on the track is similar or identical to the one you ride off the street, even better I say!

The only real issue that one should really be concerned with is repairing a downed vehicle, it can sometimes be a bit harder to repair/replace some things on older bikes, but whether you're on the street or on the track, an accident can happen so I don't see the track as a special consideration as to choosing a particular vehicle, just be cognizant of what you might have to spend to repair your bike if you do go down.

That's my take on on it. Take it from someone who bought a 5 Gen to eventually take to the track.

Cheers!

BTW, Merry Christmas everyone!

• Member Contributer

Yeah - it would be a shame to thrash such a nice looking 4th gen at the track. A suggested previously, at least swap out the plastic for some already thrashed pieces and save it - it's getting pretty rare.

To me the track isn't about racing, unless you are racing, it's to have a place to ride with less obstacles, distractions, while on surface tailored to motor vehicles so you can improve your skills. What you ride shouldn't be as important as to how you ride, choosing the right lines, braking points, trail braking or what ever other skill you want to improve or practice. So if the bike you ride on the track is similar or identical to the one you ride off the street, even better I say!

The only real issue that one should really be concerned with is repairing a downed vehicle, it can sometimes be a bit harder to repair/replace some things on older bikes, but whether you're on the street or on the track, an accident can happen so I don't see the track as a special consideration as to choosing a particular vehicle, just be cognizant of what you might have to spend to repair your bike if you do go down.

That's my take on on it. Take it from someone who bought a 5 Gen to eventually take to the track.

Cheers!

BTW, Merry Christmas everyone!

I agree especially if your only talking about running a few track days a year! It sounds like gaining Street skills is your main goal and like mentioned knowing what your daily ride is capable of is priceless.

I suggest you take that $2500 budget and put good suspension on your VFR and get a set of used or Chinese bodywork to install on your bike for the occasional track day.

Not only will you gain Skills you will learn what your 6th gen is capable of and it will be a safer bike to ride every day! :beer:

Now if you get hooked and end up running a bunch of track days each year like I did then I would suggest buying a nice fully tracked prepped 600 (CBR F2/F3/F4i or RR or R6 or Gsxr) and ride the piss out of it! :wink: I did over 35 A-group track days on an 2002 F4i and it was bullet proof.

BR

• Member Contributer

Yeah - it would be a shame to thrash such a nice looking 4th gen at the track. A suggested previously, at least swap out the plastic for some already thrashed pieces and save it - it's getting pretty rare.

+1 the bodywork on my 4th gen will be removed, and replaced with cheap aftermarket parts before it goes on the track. It's not pristine, but it would be a shame to destroy it.

• Member Contributer

yea.. do it.. but you choose a different path than thoses who slug flat 4 600s.....

post-5025-0-11981400-1419559198.jpg

it wont be the cheapest to repair damage, so you will learn to adapt.. easy enough thanks to hondas flexability with parts.

Racing is basically a money pit, some pay thru the nose, some shoestring it....some do track days.. I just like to ride my vfr..

• Member Contributer

"I suggest you take that $2500 budget and put good suspension on your VFR and get a set of used or Chinese bodywork to install on your bike for the occasional track day."

That's an interesting thought. It's just that I've been so careful with keeping my 6th gen in top condition that I'd be afraid of wrecking it if I went down. I'd rather walk away from my investment in another bike than fix the damage on my main ride. That's why I'm so intrigued with the notion of having another VFR for use on the track.

---David

• Member Contributer

So many ways to go with this question. My take is that you track anything that you can fully except crashing and stay within the expendable income range. That can mean such different things to different people. If your 4th gen is near and dear and you would hate to "alter" it, do not track it. Cbr600's or R6's are the ticket to ride the balls off and put away wet. Dime a dozen and parts galore. I would say 5 times a year is the braking point that you get something track dedicated. Under 5 a road bike will do. I decided to spent a little money and have the dedicated track bike. Always ready to do the track day when I want and can. Very nice luxery.

• Member Contributer

Hell you can pick up a 6th gen for the same or less money especially if you bought a dropped one! :fing02:

Not likely anywhere around Toronto, but an interesting thought. I'd have to try to find something in the U.S.

• Member Contributer

Hell you can pick up a 6th gen for the same or less money especially if you bought a dropped one! :fing02:

Sorry, but tracking a CBR or a R6 is very different from a VFR. All fun but different.

• Member Contributer

So many ways to go with this question. My take is that you track anything that you can fully except crashing and stay within the expendable income range. That can mean such different things to different people. If your 4th gen is near and dear and you would hate to "alter" it, do not track it. Cbr600's or R6's are the ticket to ride the balls off and put away wet. Dime a dozen and parts galore. I would say 5 times a year is the braking point that you get something track dedicated. Under 5 a road bike will do. I decided to spent a little money and have the dedicated track bike. Always ready to do the track day when I want and can. Very nice luxery.

After reading all the informative responses to my post, I think this is the most rationale approach; for me anyway.

Sorry, but tracking a CBR or a R6 is very different from a VFR. All fun but different.

Sorry about what? What is your point? :unsure:

• Member Contributer

I just think that the 600's are are better choice. Lighter and quicker. Sorry was for the disagreement of the 6th gen mention.

'sorry' has negative connotations when used in conversation, especially during a sale, or in this case a very important interwebz disagreement. 'i apologize' does not brood negativity, and should be used in sensitive exchanges.

Also, there are so many other good track bikes. Sv650, aprilia milles, any 600, rc51. Really, you can get any bike, any size for 2500. I will also agree, that while the 6th gen can boogie the knee down, I would much rather take another bike if going tracking.

I just think that the 600's are are better choice. Lighter and quicker. Sorry was for the disagreement of the 6th gen mention.

I couldn't agree more that any decent Sport bike would make for a better & cheaper track tool, but I was just responding to the OP(David's) comments:

That's an interesting thought. It's just that I've been so careful with keeping my 6th gen in top condition that I'd be afraid of wrecking it if I went down. I'd rather walk away from my investment in another bike than fix the damage on my main ride. That's why I'm so intrigued with the notion of having another VFR for use on the track.

---David

In a earlier post I suggested the following:

Now if you get hooked and end up running a bunch of track days each year like I did then I would suggest buying a nice fully tracked prepped 600 (CBR F2/F3/F4i or RR or R6 or Gsxr) and ride the piss out of it! :wink: I did over 35 A-group track days on an 2002 F4i and it was bullet proof.

This is why I'm asking what you were sorry for related to my comments!

No worries! :beer:

BR

• Member Contributer

I couldn't agree more that any decent Sport bike would make for a better & cheaper track tool, but I was just responding to the OP(David's) comments:

---David

In a earlier post I suggested the following:

This is why I'm asking what you were sorry for related to my comments!

No worries! :beer:

BR

:beer: Key point is, no matter what, get to the track.

• Member Contributer

:beer: Key point is, no matter what, get to the track.

You got that right. My beautiful and thoughtful wife bought me a track day for Christmas. Never was the saying "it's the thought that counts" more true!

Archived