Thoughts On 4Th Gen Vfr As A Track Bike?

• Member Contributer

So what's the plan?

I'm making the rationale decision and going 600 route. I need to keep costs I'm check.

As spring approaches I expect that used bike inventory will increase. For my budget, based on what I see out there, I'm looking at a 1997 - 2003 era bike. I'd prefer something with FI, but if the bike's in great condition I'd go carbureted. It seems that you can't go wrong with any of the 600's, but from what I've read, the ergos on the CBR's of that period were a little more relaxed than the others, and that's important to me (I've heard the same about the Kawi's of that period as well). I'll need to buy local in order to have the bike checked out by someone more qualified than me.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly recommend a 2002-2003 CBR954... it's fuel injected and has a bit more punch than her little sister the CBR929... old enough to come cheap and young enough to stilll have parts available and plenty of second hand stuff to nab cheap on "flea markets". I rode one at the Motorland MotoGP track at Aragon here in Spain and had a blast!! Couldn't quite keep up with my mates' '05 CBR1000 and '04 GSXR1000RR but was way, way more suited to the racetrack than my chubby sluggish (by comparison) 6th gen VFR800... night and day in the difference department. I've had my 6th gen on the track umpteen times and really pushed it to it's very limits and where it maxed out is where the 954 was just getting started.

5ef80c3256c46f3385fe1f7a8b925a57.jpg

• Member Contributer

To OP: Check out this Performance Bike (UK mag) article from 1997 where the editors enter a 4th gen VFR in an endurance race. Mostly stock but it manages a very respectacle finish despite not being the fastest & lightest.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/file/185-performance-bikes-nov-97-dawn-til-dusk/

Few years ago now I tracked a gen4 & honestly was way more fun to ride than the CBR1000RR I upgraded too. I was a track day junky for a few years but the best fun was the gen4 because riding it to the limit was rewarding, I never had ambitions to be a racer & yes the CBR1000RR was a buzz but the gen4 was better FUN.

The gen4 I just installed a gen6 shock with a shim so the rear was raised to the max, gen6 forks & removed lights, centre stand, side stand.

If really keen you can buy light trackday body work http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/VFR7501994-97.htm

This is bad quality video of a VFR trackday I organized & the camera bike is a GSXR1000, I'm the gen4 rider he follows with white shoulders on my leathers.

• 2 months later...

The VFR is fun on the track but limited. Weight, brakes, and suspension are the immediate limitations which you can throw money at but ultimately wheelbase will hurt your tight corners and available power will hurt your fast sweepers when compared to a modern 600 and neither of those problems are something you will be able to change. The track is ultimately about confidence more than power so the lightest, best handling, fastest stopping, cheapest to operate/repair bike that let's you focus less on the bike and more on your head will ultimately be the most rewarding .

I've never taken my VFR on a track, but even on the road the ground clearance wasn't enough and I scratched the exhaust shields, so I don't think it would fare that well on a track. Not least it's pretty heavy & not that quick in corners or in a straight line. I prefer other bikes for having fun on the circuit. Best to use the VFR for what it's best; It's a great all-rounder. But it's not a dedicated sports bike. CBR600, 954 or similar is going to be better for that kind of fun - there's a lot of better choices. Glad the OP chose such, would have been a waste of a nice 4th Gen.

Archived