5Th Gen Dyno Reading 72Hp!

adeyren

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Hopefully Saoirse32 you have. Anyway have found a breaker in Wolverhampton whos got 4 coils and leads for a 2001 VFR at a fiver each. As luck would have it am going to Walsall tomorrow to Motad to pick up my new exhaust which is down the road from there so result! Gonna buy all 4, never know might need some spares! Keep you posted

Hopefully Saoirse32 you have. Anyway have found a breaker in Wolverhampton whos got 4 coils and leads for a 2001 VFR at a fiver each. As luck would have it am going to Walsall tomorrow to Motad to pick up my new exhaust which is down the road from there so result! Gonna buy all 4, never know might need some spares! Keep you posted

Nice when you drop on things like that isnt it!

• Member Contributer

Finally pulled the plugs today. As you can see one plug (No 4) doesn't look like its been firing at all, very clean with no sooting marks or anything. It looks almost new! Lead looks OK so seems like a dodgy coil, trouble is wont be able to get one soon too near Xmas.

Also checked the air box not supposedly "fitted correctly". Have recently fitted a K & N filter and they have a lot thicker, deeper rubber seal on them hence the box does not clamp down as far as a standard filter although it is sealed. Any body else noticed this?

PS No 4 is on the far right

Regarding the K& N filter - you may already have done this, but you need to strip out the OEM rubber seal that is glued into the groove in the air box before fitting the K & N. The K & N needs no additional seal because it is made of rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

:cheerleader: Thanks Terry, you were bang on about the seal. Had a close look and there is one in there, kinda hard to see. Had to put my glasses on and dig it out with a penknife. Put K and N back in ,perfect fit .Cheers

Ps what benefit does that Evo Star Kit give you, never seen one before.

Ps what benefit does that Evo Star Kit give you, never seen one before.

It transforms the bike's shifting by replacing the detent star for the shifter mechanism, and the detent arm and wheel with one that has a precision bearing on the end, rather than a crude wheel that is simply pinned on. Also I believe it uses a stronger detent spring.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, what my Canadian mate said! For my VFR it transformed the gearbox from baggy to snicky. If you don't like the way your bike shifts and suffer from sloppy and or missed shifts, you need this.

• Member Contributer

I ordered one a while ago now. When I ordered it, they said how they didn't have it anymore and were not sure if they would stock it again. A handful of months later and it arrived. So if you do order one, call them and get the details.

• Member Contributer

I ordered one a while ago now. When I ordered it, they said how they didn't have it anymore and were not sure if they would stock it again. A handful of months later and it arrived. So if you do order one, call them and get the details.

I ordered from Amazon and received the shift kit as quickly as it could be shipped.

I had a coil that was intermittently going bad on my 2000 vfr800. It was actually pretty hard to tell that it was running on three cylinders. The fuel mileage took a big hit and the power didn't feel all there but it sounded, idled, revved and ran almost as if everything was normal, very hard to diagnose especially since it didn't happen all the time.

On any other engine configuration v-twin, 4 cylinder, etc it is very easy to tell when a cylinder goes out(v-twin sounds like a lawn mower and 4 cylinder sounds like a subaru). I guess that awesome v-4 sound masks a bad cylinder.

The coil eventually went totally bad and I could put my bare hand on the exhaust header pipe and it was barely warm where the other exhaust header pipes were scalding hot. So try your hand or laser thermometer like the other guy said.

• Member Contributer

I had a coil that was intermittently going bad on my 2000 vfr800. It was actually pretty hard to tell that it was running on three cylinders. The fuel mileage took a big hit and the power didn't feel all there but it sounded, idled, revved and ran almost as if everything was normal, very hard to diagnose especially since it didn't happen all the time.

On any other engine configuration v-twin, 4 cylinder, etc it is very easy to tell when a cylinder goes out(v-twin sounds like a lawn mower and 4 cylinder sounds like a subaru). I guess that awesome v-4 sound masks a bad cylinder.

The coil eventually went totally bad and I could put my bare hand on the exhaust header pipe and it was barely warm where the other exhaust header pipes were scalding hot. So try your hand or laser thermometer like the other guy say.

Exactly! same symptoms as mine. Feels good sounds good. Too late to test now have replaced it and bike is in bits for more mods. Should have her up and running in a couple of weeks. Will get her Dynoed then to see if its sorted it. Cheers

• Member Contributer

Same thing happened to my ST1100 a few years ago, the coil was going bad when the bike was fairly warm,it was very hard to diagnose, eventually replaced the coils and all's fine since.

• Member Contributer

Been busy lately changing brake lines,blocking off pair valves,new plugs, oil, filter, exhaust system, air filter etc etc. Have changed the suspected dodgy coil. Got the bike booked in for another dyno test week after next so will post results then. Thanks all for your input. Watch this space !!!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

After nearly three months (too cold in the workshop) and numerous mods finally got the bike to a point where i could fire her up late Sunday afternoon.

After a few turns over away she went but straight away i could tell not firing right. I had replaced the faulty coil on no 4. Felt the headers and no 4 was definitely firing but no 3 was cold now. Plug cap off, known good spare plug earthed and no spark. Power to both coil terminals. Will swap the lead and if need be the coil next (bought four spare ones for a great price). Any other tests i should carry out as well? Cant believe a coil will go down while the bikes been sat there for nearly three months doing nothing.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Final update (i hope).Got the bike now all up and running and back on the road. Replaced dodgy coil, lead and fitted new plugs, K and N, PAIR valve plates from our friend "mellow dude" (cheers mate really well made and prompt delivery to the UK) and a full Motad s/s system. Below is the first dyno reading when the PC V was fitted.

post-30687-0-71800200-1428086924.jpg

This guy never blanked off the pair valves pipes or noticed it was running on three cylinders, wouldn't let me in the dyno room - most of all he was a miserable bastard. Took her today to these guys http://www.projex-uk.co.uk/. Totally different, really helpful and welcoming (cheers Kev). Put her on the dyno and these are the results

post-30687-0-66737800-1428087351.jpg

First thing he said after the first run was "who the fooking hell mapped this!) ****** expletives. Running rich as hell etc. Bike is totally different, pulls like f**k and generally all round great. Am running a 16t tooth sprocket till next trackday on the 20th at the moment, only problem with it am always going for an extra gear which ain't there, so "skids" you are right won't leave it on.

Would welcome any comments on the final readings guys.

As a PS any fellow Viffers in the Midlands and need tuning etc done go and see Kev at Projex.

• Member Contributer

Two of the biggest power robbers are 50wt oil and old chain sprockets...

Switching from a heavy 50wt to a freer flowing 30 synthetic will net 6 RWHP and your engine will still meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

The extra drag of worn links can cost you up to 10% of your available power...( chains are wearing metal to metal after the 3rd adjustment)

It's possible to enjoy another 10 to 12 RWHP...

• Member Contributer

Chain and sprockets are both brand new. Considering fully synthetic next change.Any recommendations?

• Member Contributer

Holy hell, look at the "blue" AFR. Like someone cranked the injectors up to 11/10 and called it a day.

On a side note, from the comments most Brits make about moto shops, sounds like customer service is a foreign concept to about 75% of the places on that rock. Or maybe it's the rain? Unless someone is the only place around that I can get something, I walk out the door at the first sign of shitty service.

• Member Contributer

How is the fuel mileage now?

Dunno yet , only rode her back home 30ish miles.Previous to going the exhaust can looked and felt like a chimney that ain't been swept for years, black as shite! Gonna clean it tmw and then Sunday going to Donnington for first round of the WSB championship, round trip about 150 miles so will see then . Previously mileage was rather thirsty! Hopefully this weekend roads will be dry so i can give her 100% throttle, at the moment its damp and greasy round here.

Madscientist, what does the "blue" AFR (air fuel ratio) exactly mean? Sorry not fully conversant with dyno readings etc. Don't forget i've been away from bikes for over 30 years, in my day there were no dynos - i think! Only started again last June but this forum has taught me so much.So thanks all.

Archived