What Did You Do To Your Vfr12 Today?

f3racer

• Member Contributer

OEM heated grips. They work really well and should be standard on this bike...

post-5871-0-40004900-1432476240.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like the Pro Grips that i have much better than the oem grips...with the heated grips your pretty much stuck with one choice

Performed the 16K maintenance checks (about 2k miles overdue). That valve clearance inspection wasn't any fun and consumed most of my Memorial Day weekend, but it's finished (all in-spec) and I won't need to concern myself with that again for a while!

Replaced the spark plugs since I had new ones on hand, even though the originals were OK by inspection requirements. Same goes for the air filter. New OEM battery installed as well.

For anyone doing that job, it should be noted that there are several small items that the shop manual says need to be replaced during the job that typically aren't considered... mostly things like o-rings (around the PAIR holes) and spark plug tube seals, plastic clips for fuel line connections, etc. In practice, I doubt anyone actually replaces these unless they break/tear something during disassembly. Even the head cover gaskets can be re-used if they're cleaned and handled carefully.

Next will be new brake pads front and rear. Also need new rubber "horns" for the airbox inlet as both of mine ripped during removal due to brittleness of the rubber.

Wish I woulda checked the mail before cocktail hour :beer: Guess install will have to wait after tomorrow's ride.

Knight Design pegs, nicely made and great service :fing02:

VIHIso.jpg

• 1 month later...

Installed new PR4s today, my Marc Parnes balancer cones for the 800 worked on the front, but no go for the rear. I ended leaving all the weights off the back, took it for a test ride and eased it up to the ton, solid and stable. Either I got lucky with a no weight balance or the rear is not so critical??

FWZERm.jpg

• Member Contributer

Installed new PR4s today, my Marc Parnes balancer cones for the 800 worked on the front, but no go for the rear. I ended leaving all the weights off the back, took it for a test ride and eased it up to the ton, solid and stable. Either I got lucky with a no weight balance or the rear is not so critical??

FWZERm.jpg

This could have been a photo of my garage today...put on new PR4's myself. Same stands, same balancer etc.!

As far as balance, it was way different for me. I had PR3's on previously and required a lot of weight to balance front and rear. The new PR4's same thing. Front required 76 grams, rear about 60! I balanced my rims separately, noted heavy spot, mounted tires without setting bead and tried to pre-balance by rotating the tire heavy spot to counter the rim. Even with all this, I had to use a lot of weight. Same thing happened on the PR3's previously! Heard so much about the PR's not needing an indicator for the light spot because they are balanced so well. Never had this issue on any other tire brands I've used. Sure, needed weight, but typically no more than 30g tops.

These are the first Michelins I've run, front only needed a small amount of weight, still not sure if I'll take the rear to a shop to balance. Love the SSA for quick tire off. Did you order a VFR1200 specific cone from MP?

• Member Contributer

These are the first Michelins I've run, front only needed a small amount of weight, still not sure if I'll take the rear to a shop to balance. Love the SSA for quick tire off. Did you order a VFR1200 specific cone from MP?

I have a number of cones I'd ordered years ago. I have three SSA bikes in my garage. Love them.

• Member Contributer

Installed a brakeaway throttle lock

attachicon.gif20150524_095650.jpg

Do you have Honda heated grips? It says in the website that they do not recommend this product with heated grips, so I was curious...

I also couldn't find the version for VFR1200F in the roll-down menu at the product site, did you adapt yours from another bike?

Sold my VFR1200 yesterday to a nice gentleman from Alberta. Crazy that he put 1,200km on it yesterday, lol!

(I'll probably just be lurking from now on, almost new comp werkes slipon in the classifieds, btw!)

• Member Contributer

Sold my VFR1200 yesterday to a nice gentleman from Alberta. Crazy that he put 1,200km on it yesterday, lol!

(I'll probably just be lurking from now on, almost new comp werkes slipon in the classifieds, btw!)

Good luck ..

Roll On ..

I have the Speigler bars kit on my 1200. These are a dramatic change in comfort. I also have Hondas heated grips, which also are work very good. My issue was i found the grips to be to hard for distance rides.I looked at grip buddies and looked like they would help. I was thinking of a way to just add more cushion. What I came up with is pipe insulation. The foam stuff you use in your home to insulate your water pipes. I cut it the length of the grip,and zip tied it on. Wow,very comfortable. The thicker grip feels odd at first,but you quickly get used to it. This mod cost me $1.25. If you don't like it cut the zip ties,and pull them off. It's an easy mod if you need more cushion on your grips. They actually look good,being dark grey.

• 4 weeks later...

while i have the ECU out for reflash, i replaced the left handlebar switch because the hi/lo beam switch was funky...easy job, esp with the ECU removed, the cable feeds through the steering head and connects on the side of the air box

i can't wait to ride mine tomorrow with the re flash !!!! it feels like Christmas Eve !!!

was about to go out for a big ride to really evaluate the reflash when i noticed my rear brake fluid was low, so i checked the pads and they were almost gone !!!! ordered new pads from Partzilla arrived next day !!! ($30 for overnite shipping) back on the road

Thanks.

Vader, I like that.

This bike has taken me some time to really get it to my liking.

D Guhl, decat, GPR Can, suspension front and rear, took me time to get the front right.

Really came together with the Dunlops. SportSmart "2" 36psi/38psi... Dropped it 5 ml through the triple clamps steers so nice now.

P1060353_1.jpg

Archived