Are These Tires Used Enough?

didit

• Member Contributer

Just returned home from the Radar / Huckleberry Nuptials, with a side trip to Wenatchee to visit with the silent cassandtim.

Got a little rain in the last 25k or so, and once in the garage I did a quick check.

Tire Wear

Do these look used enough to you? I figure I got around 9000 miles out of them, including the 5400 from the cross US trip last month.

Dam slabs take their toll.

Good thing I've got a set of Pilot Road 4's on order and install next week.

Geesh!

• Member Contributer

I was thinking I could just do a couple wraps of black electrical tape, then ride it over to the shop for install.

It'd be interesting to see the look on their face?

Seriously though, taking the tires off for mounting - won't be riding / pushing my luck any further.

• Member Contributer

Tony,

I headed down to Orlando a few years on my VFR. Thought I had enough tread to get down there and was going to pick up set of sale tires at Cycle Gear...new pavement on I-75 and some high speed runs to get the lost time back from an accident and when I stopped to fuel up in Lake City? just north of Gainesville I gave the bike a quick once over...saw the cord showing on the rear not quite as bad as yours.

Rode the last hour or so into Orlando with one cheek constantly off the seat to keep the bike rolled over off of the center of the cord...rode it to Cycle Gear the next day and pulled it off in the parking lot for them mount the new one.

I would say you got your money's worth from that one. Glad you made it home without issue.

i used to have tires like that when young and broke as hell-- now that im old and broke as hell- i dont ride with them like that anymore---

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Removed the front & rear for delivery to the local shop. Now shot with brand new PR 4's.

First time I've removed - replaced the front myself. Took her out for a good 400k run and everything feels great.

The new 4's sure feel good, very whickable side 2 side.

As for the meat on the side, with over 85,000 km on her now, I'm more of a (touring) lover than a (corner) fighter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Mine sometimes look like that before I change them, too. ( I am frugal ) My PR2 rear lasts around 8500 miles before it looks like yours. I do not recommend taking it that far, though.

• Member Contributer

From what I've heard... once you get through the belt there is more rubber on the other side. ;)

• Member Contributer

3 years ago I'm heading to Sturgis and I'm about 3 hours out when my chord starts to poke through. I drop into the Honda dealership first thing Sunday morning - closed of course, after all, why would you be open during bike week ... hmm. Next door is a big HD dealership. Hey, I figure they handle Buell.

I wheel the bike over to the service department and after a time of non-eye contact I ask if they would happen to have any brand of 180/55-17 in stock.

"We don't service your kind around here".

"I realize that, but would you happen to have a tire".

"Nope".

"Don't you service Buell, they'd probably have a common size".

"Nope", and they both left ... nice!

By the time I got to Sturgis I had about a 1" strip of chord showing. That was a little intense.

• Member Contributer

I would never use a tire that far! :ohmy:

And no one expects you to. I don't think you can be 300 miles from anywhere in Europe and not be able to find a replacement.

• Member Contributer

Absolutely the best rear tire ever. 100's of Dragon passes. After reading one of CC's posting about reversing the rear after one side had wore more then the other I reverse it and ran it for 4 more weeks and a bunch more passes on the Dragon .

The center section never changed thickness after it wore to this height !!

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen tires like the op's on the road before. One time, a group I was in was heading home on a freeway after a long loop when a squid on a GSX-R passed us with a 40 mph differential. Two inch white stripe down the middle of the rear tire, shorts, wifebeater shirt and sneakers. No helmet of course.

Brilliant.

Absolutely the best rear tire ever. 100's of Dragon passes. After reading one of CC's posting about reversing the rear after one side had wore more then the other I reverse it and ran it for 4 more weeks and a bunch more passes on the Dragon .

David,

I think you could sell that rear to one of our FL members! :-)

PS I flipped rear tires all the time at the track when it favored lefts or rights, never an issue.

• Member Contributer

David,

I think you could sell that rear to one of our FL members! :-)

PS I flipped rear tires all the time at the track when it favored lefts or rights, never an issue.

:goofy:

I am a believer now about reversing the rear tire .

Archived