Aftermarket Pipes For Gen 8

dogman

Sure looks and sounds nice. What brand is it? One thing I'm concerned about with any aftermarket exhaust and the video seems to show it (or the lack of it!). There appears to be NO visible centre stand stopper when the stand is up as per the original pipes, yet the stand doesn't seem to interfere with the exhaust! Without the stopper the stand will either hit the exhaust or on the other side, hit the drive chain!!! Any thoughts on that one? I'm looking at the Dam exhausts from Belgium for my baby, want something shortish that shows more of the sexy legs of the wheel!

Cheers.

Grum.

Arrow pipe has a small bracket with a hole drilled in it. You reuse the rubber stop from the stock can. I'm assuming that's the same with all of aftermarket exhausts for this bike?? (especially the Akra, as is it not an official accessory?)

post-30298-0-60143200-1410293396.jpg

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far all of the pipes Ive seen for the bike have a center stand stopper bracket. The one photo on Delkevics site with just a slip-on kit photo (not installed) does not show one, but it is probably just a similar slip-on kit as an example. The installed photos all show a stopper and bracket.

On page 2 of this topic there is a photo of a pre-production example of the Dam slip-on on a 2014 VFR800, Im sure when they are available this month they will have the center stand stopper bracket, if not I wouldnt get one.

Somewhere here on this forum there is a photo of an options page for the bike from Honda, it offers the Akrapovic as an option from the dealer (European), but in the USA its not legal for them to offer anything as an option that makes the OEM exhaust louder.

For people who want to use the panniers, hi-rise kits are a pipe dream.

Whoa, did I really say that? Lol

Regarding removal of the Akra baffle, it's trivial, even after installation on the bike and running in.

The spot weld on the nut is easily defeated with a stubby Allen wrench or 8mm open end wrench. Completely remove the bolt and put in a safe place.

Open a cold beer. Pilsner Urquell is the minimum specification. Place beer 2 meters to either side of the bike, ensuring a level surface.

Take a needle nose Vise Grip, wrap the jaws in a shop cloth.

Firmly clamp the needle nose VG to BOTTOM lip of the port hole in the DB reducer (what Akrapović calls "insert SS")- this puts the force vectors in the final step along the axis of the insert.

Now, clamp a full size Vise Grip perpendicular to the handle of the needle nose VG.

Take a 100 ml sip of beer. Place bottle back away from bike, to either side. IMPORTANT: Not behind the bike!

Sharply strike the full size VG parallel to the can in the direction of the exhaust exit, using a plastic mallet or similar item (vinyl coated deadblow hammer for example). Beware, the whole thing is apt to fly out. If you did not observe the cautions above this could cause beer spillage.

Fire up your Viffer and enjoy the music. Shut it down. Finish the beer. Go in the house and do something else for at least four hours before attempting to touch the bike again.

Done. Have a nice ride.

• Member Contributer

On page 2 of this topic there is a photo of a pre-production example of the Dam slip-on on a 2014 VFR800, Im sure when they are available this month they will have the center stand stopper bracket, if not I wouldnt get one.

Somewhere here on this forum there is a photo of an options page for the bike from Honda, it offers the Akrapovic as an option from the dealer (European), but in the USA its not legal for them to offer anything as an option that makes the OEM exhaust louder.

Hi SHvar. Yesterday received an e-mail from David at DAM Exhausts. He confirmed most definitely that their exhaust will have an appropriate centre stand stopper and they will have pipes available in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers.

Grum.

OK, have gone back and forth a few times between insert in place and insert removed on the Akrapović can.

For now, I have settled on insert out. Sound is nicely enhanced (much fuller and deeper) at idle to 6000 and at highway speeds you don't notice it.

Fueling and MPG appear to be unaffected. The popping phenomenon on decel has stopped, so it may have been fuel (specific fill up) related.

The interesting thing is, it does seem to be pulling harder in 5th and a bit more in 6th. Roll-on from 40 to 60 in 5th was noticeably faster. I don't put much stock in the butt dyne, but it's a very distinct feeling.

So, are you generally happy with the overall size, shape, and look of the Akra? In all the pictures, it hardly looks like an improvement over the stock can, especially for viewing the rear wheel. Same thing with 2Bros, Delkevic, Staintune, and the big Arrow. That's why I'm leaning towards the smaller Arrow Pro-Racing one that looks like a baseball bat. I still like the shape of the DAM, but it is pretty fat on the back end. I really like the basic design of that funky Thurn double pipe, but it needs much better finishing and I'm not impressed with the sound.

Guess I'll keep waiting for some more options to come out.

Thats my problem with most all of the slip-ons available, they are infact larger or longer than the OEM can (minus the section under the heatshield which is hidden to make it look smaller). The main part of the OEM can is 13.5 X 4.5 inches (length X width). The akra is just a bit longer in the can, over 5 inches tall, and even wider than OEM by a small amount (not including the end caps).

The only 3 that are not as big are the Dam, Arrow pro-race, and the 8", 9" and 13 inch Delkevics (13 inch delkevic is 12.5 inches in can length). The Delkevic cans appear to be smaller in height, and thickness also.

The Akrapovic seems to be playing very well with the VFR fueling.

With the Akra I was assured of total compatibility- it is after all an official Honda accessory for the VFR outside the USA. Still, I did a fair bit of testing before arriving at the present configuration, with the insert out.

Let's not forget the substantial weight advantage of the Akra (and many other) cans over the OEM.

I certainly like the look and sound of the Akra, so yes, I am quite happy with all aspects of it. As I plan to get the panniers, a high rise can is out of the question.

The Akrapovic seems to be playing very well with the VFR fueling.

With the Akra I was assured of total compatibility- it is after all an official Honda accessory for the VFR outside the USA. Still, I did a fair bit of testing before arriving at the present configuration, with the insert out.

Let's not forget the substantial weight advantage of the Akra (and many other) cans over the OEM.

I certainly like the look and sound of the Akra, so yes, I am quite happy with all aspects of it. As I plan to get the panniers, a high rise can is out of the question.

The Akra is a really nice balance as it gets a lot more subdued once you hit about 5500 rpm, yet sounds deep and serious at idle and acceleration. It may not be right for everyone, but I am enjoying mine! I can't wait to get some control over the fueling and tune it in.

anyone got any pics /souund clips of the Delkevic?

Delkevic has a few designs for the bike (oval, tri oval, etc), and a few lengths of can for it (8, 9, 13, 14 inches, and longer). They have photos on their site of each on the bike. There is a video posted back a few pages or so on this post of a 14 inch delkevic on a white 8th gen VFR.

I just realized that Delkevic is less than 10 miles from my house. Gonna swing by there after work to check them out. With how low their prices are ($200 for the carbon slip-on) I might just get one to hold me over until something better comes along!

Well, I decided that $200.00 for a carbon silencer was just too cheap to pass up, so I got one of theses. At least it looks a bit better and sounds a lot better than stock, so it should do for awhile.

http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop&product_category=exhaust_s7rhj&sub_category=silencers_honda_fgc5z&product=honda_stubby_carbon_fiber_mufflers__silencers_14andquot_350mm&variant=HONDA_VFR800F_INTERCEPTOR_2014-4527&start=0&search_term=&order_by=

13 inch Delkevic tri-oval in carbon fiber with baffle installed, the video does not do it justice when it comes to the sound. Took it for a ride without the baffle, its loud at lower rpms, raspy low rumble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiyEYxFLiPU

Without baffle, its loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khJf_klhVEQ

IMG_04601_zpsb8656766.jpg

IMG_04641_zps89e6ca47.jpg

It would be interesting to know where their dyno is located, in terms of altitude.

I don't think it's at the place I went to. She took me to the back to look at a couple different cans and it was nothing but a warehouse with tons of old bikes all over the place. I asked why so many old bikes...she said their main business is shipping bikes to Europe. Apparently, an old beater worth $200 here can be worth over $1000 in Europe! Anyway, there was definitely no manufacturing or dyno at the Englewood, CO location. I suspect it is all done at their UK facility. (not to mention all the pics of the 2014's are Euro models with the VFR emblem)

• Member Contributer

Well, I decided that $200.00 for a carbon silencer was just too cheap to pass up, so I got one of theses. At least it looks a bit better and sounds a lot better than stock, so it should do for awhile.

http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop&product_category=exhaust_s7rhj&sub_category=silencers_honda_fgc5z&product=honda_stubby_carbon_fiber_mufflers__silencers_14andquot_350mm&variant=HONDA_VFR800F_INTERCEPTOR_2014-4527&start=0&search_term=&order_by=

+1 hard to beat !

• Member Contributer

Hey cbj1019. How are those nice looking Arrow Pro Racing Pipes going? Along with the DAM they are my two favourites. Do you know if the genuine Honda panniers fit O.K. without any interference from the pipes, is the clearance much the same as the standard pipes? I have contacted Arrow about this but state they have not tested them with Honda panniers! I am VERY keen to know if the panniers will be OK, if they are I shall place an order for the pipes. Can anyone advise me on this query? Thanks for any info.

Cheers.

Grum

hey did any of the guys here who got the Delkevic pipes try holding the pipe up behind the passenger peg, like a high-rise pipe? so maybe a longer different angled connector might just work?? (with no panniers of course!)

product5155_2p.jpg

Archived