Aftermarket Pipes For Gen 8

dogman

Got an email about the Dam slip on again, the price will be +- 410 euros or $549.35, they are currently closed until the 25th of the month, after they return they will start production and have them ready for the middle of september.

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I talked with Greg at TBR today. He told me the wrong length carbon came in. 1" shorter than what it was supposed to be. I asked to build me one anyways and ship it. Said he could ship next week. If I don;t have confirmation of shipment by mid day wed, I'll call Akra and get that one coming too.

VOLUNTEER, I'm excited to here you ordered up the Akra pipe.

Tracking says my Akra will be here Monday.... if you want, I can call Greg and tell him to cancel my order. Maybe they can ship you the can I ordered (He stated Thursday that it should ship this coming week and that all they were waiting on was the mid-pipe.) Let me know

If you don't want yours, I'm cool with that. I'm wondering if your 2B pipe was held up for the same reason mine was.

I talked with Greg at TBR today. He told me the wrong length carbon came in. 1" shorter than what it was supposed to be. I asked to build me one anyways and ship it. Said he could ship next week. If I don;t have confirmation of shipment by mid day wed, I'll call Akra and get that one coming too.

VOLUNTEER, I'm excited to here you ordered up the Akra pipe.

Tracking says my Akra will be here Monday.... if you want, I can call Greg and tell him to cancel my order. Maybe they can ship you the can I ordered (He stated Thursday that it should ship this coming week and that all they were waiting on was the mid-pipe.) Let me know

If you don't want yours, I'm cool with that. I'm wondering if your 2B pipe was held up for the same reason mine was.

I called and canceled, Dan S. asked that you call in and he will ship you the pipe I had reserved.

Akrapovic happiness!

post-8630-0-81631800-1408403160.jpg

Hehe, you beat m to it, but I had to go for a ride after installing it...

Overall, I guess I was expecting a bit more change in sound. It's got a good rumble at low revs, but can't notice much difference after 7k rpm. Definitely much lighter, and looks great on the bike!

And quick vid... http://youtu.be/Q0suHtxLFPc

post-30994-0-55885500-1408497255.jpg

I love how light the Akrapovic feels in comparison to the stock can and am digging the sound as well. (I do like my Leo's a bit better, but the Akra is sweet as well!) Check out the installed can...

attachicon.gifIMG_0467.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0469.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0471.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0472.JPG

OOPS, forgot the video

http://youtu.be/lBJHwR552vg

OUTSTANDING!

Hehe, you beat m to it, but I had to go for a ride after installing it...

Overall, I guess I was expecting a bit more change in sound. It's got a good rumble at low revs, but can't notice much difference after 7k rpm. Definitely much lighter, and looks great on the bike!

And quick vid... http://youtu.be/Q0suHtxLFPc

I can't wait now! lol

Well, the Two Bros pipe showed up today. Woohoo. Than I went to install it. Boohoo MF'r! lol.

The mid pipe is wrong. The canister and mid pipe "spring anchors" do not line up. The pipe is horizontal also. The part # on the box shows correct (as in I don;t have the saddle bags).

So, the mid pipe is wrong for sure. What I'm not sure on is if the pipes are different between saddle bags or no saddle bags. Guess I get to call 2Bros in the am.

Quality control is important when bringing a new product to the market. Not so much on this order. :491:

post-30959-0-38644000-1408584749.jpg

post-30959-0-51958500-1408584754.jpg

post-30959-0-26729200-1408584763.jpg

Dan told me a few times the were waiting on mid-pipes.... wonder if they got mixed up?

After going back and looking at their You Tube vid, I have the mid pipe for the saddle bags. They packaged the wrong one.

ADD 08/21: I talked with Greg at 2Bros this morning. With the pics I provided, they determined the part # was correct for my exhaust canister. The number stamped into the mid pipe was correct, but was stamped onto the wrong one. (at least that's what I got out of the conversation).

I hope to have the correct mid pipe on Friday as they were sending it out NDA. I guess I'll see if someone packed the correct the pipe this time around...and shipped NDA as promised.

I am holding out for the Staintune. I had one on my '92 and '96. Absolutely love the sound and unlike the V&H on the '98, it won't ever need repacking.

They have a note on their site http://staintune.com.au that they are working on it and will offer 10% discount to anyone who contacts them pre-production.

http://staintune.com.au/blogs/news/tagged/vfr800

It sounds like the V&H from my '98 may fit without the bags... Should be picking the bike up this weekend.

Rob

Well dang, looks like the bolt that holds the baffle in the Arkapovic is spot welded in place.... why in the world would they do that? Maybe it's legal to remove in other parts of the world and not in the US? Should I take it to a bike shop and have the spot weld removed, or just wait for someone else (like the Staintune mentioned above ^^^^^ ) to come out with a new can I like? I like the Arka, but it isn't much louder than the stock with the baffle in. Don't know much about this kind of thing, so looking for advice. Thanks

I am sure I read elsewhere that the spot weld breaks easily if you force the bolt.

It is a homolgated pipe and it is welded for legal reasons re complience (not that that worries us :) )

Bit of a joke really, the dyno charts are with the baffle out.

• Member Contributer

Are the dyno charts really without the baffle?! Where did you read/see that?

The baffle is welded in place for compliance with US federal regulations which prohibit removable and even adjustable baffles (i.e. SuperTrapp). Exhausts like that will always carry labeling which indicate they are for race use only.

It is worth noting that as far as I know the Akropovic is labeled as approved for street use and won't leave you subject to the whimsy of the noise cops in cities and towns where they've passed laws requiring the correct markings.

That it's not much louder than stock is also why it is legally able to wear that marking.

It didn't take much to break the nut loose holding the baffle in, but man, we can't seem to get it out of there? I looked at the schematic and it definitely has a curved pipe holding it in place. Mike from Traxxion and I tried for about 20 minutes to no avail. Any ideas?

post-8630-0-70006600-1408661059.jpg

oops, I missed the part where you said it was welded in place. Hmmmm.... wonder why my Leos have removable baffels and the Akra doesn't? I took the opportunity to run the bike without any exhaust for a few seconds... man it sounded good (but a little loud for my taste.)

Could a shop cut the baffle out? Could I buy a pipe overseas and have it shipped in?

• Member Contributer
Hmmmm.... wonder why my Leos have removable baffels and the Akra doesn't?

The Akrapovics have EPA type approval for street use and the Leo Vince stuff doesn't.

If Leo Vince sold stuff that claimed to be US EPA type approved and had removable baffles they could be fined to the tune of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars for violation of the Noise Control Act.

Stuff is starting to show up with regularity now. This is a Delkevic stainless can, 14" long. Looks like the angle is right to fit with the bags. $169 on eBay.

product5150_3.jpg

• Member Contributer

Stuff is starting to show up with regularity now. This is a Delkevic stainless can, 14" long. Looks like the angle is right to fit with the bags. $169 on eBay.

product5150_3.jpg

Bet that would be nice on my '99. Are we sure that outlet to passenger peg dimension is the same between the original 5th gen and the new 5th gen 2?

:491:

Delkevic actually makes 13 different slip-ons for the 2014 VFR800F. They range from $139-$259 each depending on size, shape and material.

Anyone with experience with their slip-ons, how do they compare in quality, sound, etc, for that price you can buy a few of them for the price of one of their competitors and still save money. Delkevic sells that can in the above ebay ad for $149.

product5150_3.jpg

Bet that would be nice on my '99. Are we sure that outlet to passenger peg dimension is the same between the original 5th gen and the new 5th gen 2?

:491:

I tried a 5th gen pipe (98-01) on my 8th gen and it fits perfectly (but looked like crap) so any 5th gen pipe will fit. Looks like Delkevic have discovered that as well. Its a wonder that they havent increased the price.

The 13" tri oval in carbon would look good, I reckon.

Are the dyno charts really without the baffle?! Where did you read/see that?

The baffle is welded in place for compliance with US federal regulations which prohibit removable and even adjustable baffles (i.e. SuperTrapp). Exhausts like that will always carry labeling which indicate they are for race use only.

It is worth noting that as far as I know the Akropovic is labeled as approved for street use and won't leave you subject to the whimsy of the noise cops in cities and towns where they've passed laws requiring the correct markings.

That it's not much louder than stock is also why it is legally able to wear that marking.

Well I am sure I saw it on the Akrapovic dyno sheet but it isn't there now, so I dont know anymore...........

It didn't take much to break the nut loose holding the baffle in, but man, we can't seem to get it out of there? I looked at the schematic and it definitely has a curved pipe holding it in place. Mike from Traxxion and I tried for about 20 minutes to no avail. Any ideas?

attachicon.gifakra.jpg

oops, I missed the part where you said it was welded in place. Hmmmm.... wonder why my Leos have removable baffels and the Akra doesn't? I took the opportunity to run the bike without any exhaust for a few seconds... man it sounded good (but a little loud for my taste.)

Could a shop cut the baffle out? Could I buy a pipe overseas and have it shipped in?

I would be surprised (and pissed off) if the baffle itself is welded in. Somebody on a BMW forum had the same issue and managed to knock it out with a broomstick from the other end (with it removed from the bike obviously). My suggestion would be try a slide hammer with a hook inside the end of the baffle tube. If that doesn't work, give up.

When mine arrives I will have a go as well

Archived