Replacement Horn

luckylendy

Anyone find a good solution for a replacement horn for the oem? Honked at a dumbass today and nearly embarrassed myself with that "beep."

Post em up!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the guys on VFRW did this:

It's much much louder and bolts up easily.

12 bucks shipped on eBay. It's 335 Hz and was an oem horn on certain Mercedes (see application list).

It's galvanized metal so it's not going to rust.

To mount it he used the strip of metal it came with and with another nut and bolt, bolted it to the honda metal strip.

Wiring is plug n play.

The first image shows the honda factory horn next to the new hella for size comparison.

HellaMercedesHornreplacementpic_zps0f383

Mercedeshornreplacement_zps5921c35b.jpg

• Member Contributer

Having repaired dents on quite a few Benz's in my day while at work, and having the factory alarm go off when you open the door without disarming the car, I can attest to the fact the horn on the Benz ML series SUV is FREAKIN LOUD.

I went with an air horn on mine (the old trumpet style). One on each side of the tail section of the bike with an air hose attaching them. My GF has a Ear Cannon on hers (139db). Both are 5th gens though.

yra2e8ag.jpgamy2abup.jpg

in my V-Strom i had installed a FIAMM 2 Trumpet air horn ($39.99) and its insanely loud as a semi-truck! absolutely useful in the city and commuting riding. but be prepared to carry a few extra fuses if u honk too long at that a**hole cager cutting u off while texting his friend :D

i know they have another mode compact model with the trumpets and the compressor integrated into one unit which would probably be whats needed for a VFR with the some-what limited space under the fairing. in the V-strom theres is tremendous space under the front fairing that i could fit everything without even needing to take any of the plastics off :D

http://www.fiamm.com/en/northamerica/avvisatori-acustici/prodotti/2-trumpet-riviera-horns.aspx

post-30554-0-49078400-1402986662.jpg

post-30554-0-95523000-1402986659.jpg

• Member Contributer

2 FIAMMs

1 where the OEM meep meep used to be

1 in the lower fairing

HPIM6070.jpg

Two... no, wait - THREE (3) things. Firstly, I beefed up the wires running to the horn from the BlueSeas fusebox. Then I added a Fiamm horn under each side of the front fairing (just enough room there on the '01). Lastly (or perhaps, firstly), I carefully tweaked the little screw on the top of the OEM horn to ensure it was as loud as it was capable of being. Total cost was (IIRC) about NZ$35, so five-eighths of not very much at all. Funny thing is, although I used it a fair bit when I first upgraded, to 'punish' errant motorists, I very rarely use it now. Must be getting old...

• 2 months later...

I'm considering upgrading the horn on my bike too (6th Gen) and I'm a little confused mostly due to lack of experience.

I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to my hands. I know electronics, but always scared I'm going to stuff something up when it comes to mounting brackets, etc. I really don't have much experience besides screw things off, replace, screw on.

I liked the idea of the Stebel Nautilus but it seems like it might be too involved for me - multiple things to mount, and I'm not sure about how difficult it would be to fit under the G6 fairing. (Given my inexperience with no mod history... I haven't even taken a fairing off my bike before).

The Fiamm looks good as a 'one piece unit', but does look bulky. Am I going to run into trouble mounting it as well? Would I be better going with something like the merc horn in the first post, but even then I saw that it was mounted in a differnent position to the OEM horn. I'm guessing this means that a custom bracket needed to be made, or additional drilling?

And if I need to go to that much effort, should I just go something better like the Fiamm or Stebel?

• 2 weeks later...

Stebel Nautilus Horn FTW!!!! 128db of train derailing goodness!!! I've used these on all my bikes. I managed a pretty slick installation on my VFR by separating the horn from the air compressor, placing them inside the right front faring and using tubing to reconnect the two.

Full write up on my VFR site here: http://bonemanvfr.com/Mods/stebel.html

Here's how it sounds! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8EXRVYNXzI

PA220024.JPG

PA220042.JPG

PA220043.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Fiaam Highway Blaster, 2 ea. High and Low tone. Fabbed up a simple cross bar to attach both horns side by side and a main bar slight longer than the mounting bar for the OE horn to get the homrs positioned lower than the OE. MUST invest in a horn wiring harness to get the full effect. I'm a numpty when it comes to mechanical things and sparky things give me the wooblies but even I was able to hook it up. The sound is AMAZING! Just like your Granddad's Buick.

I'm considering upgrading the horn on my bike too (6th Gen) and I'm a little confused mostly due to lack of experience.

I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to my hands. I know electronics, but always scared I'm going to stuff something up when it comes to mounting brackets, etc. I really don't have much experience besides screw things off, replace, screw on.

I liked the idea of the Stebel Nautilus but it seems like it might be too involved for me - multiple things to mount, and I'm not sure about how difficult it would be to fit under the G6 fairing. (Given my inexperience with no mod history... I haven't even taken a fairing off my bike before).

The Fiamm looks good as a 'one piece unit', but does look bulky. Am I going to run into trouble mounting it as well? Would I be better going with something like the merc horn in the first post, but even then I saw that it was mounted in a differnent position to the OEM horn. I'm guessing this means that a custom bracket needed to be made, or additional drilling?

And if I need to go to that much effort, should I just go something better like the Fiamm or Stebel?

You don't have to go through all that air horn bull crap to get a loud horn, just look up that Hella horn swap on vfrw.

I put that horn on in about 30 mins and it's freakin loud. And it sounds like a really loud bike horn, not a freakin train or semi.

Hurts people's ears, and it looks stock as well.

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

One of the guys on VFRW did this:

It's much much louder and bolts up easily.

12 bucks shipped on eBay. It's 335 Hz and was an oem horn on certain Mercedes (see application list).

It's galvanized metal so it's not going to rust.

To mount it he used the strip of metal it came with and with another nut and bolt, bolted it to the honda metal strip.

Wiring is plug n play.

The first image shows the honda factory horn next to the new hella for size comparison.

HellaMercedesHornreplacementpic_zps0f383

Mercedeshornreplacement_zps5921c35b.jpg

Mine sounds like crap .

• Member Contributer

For that price it may fit a Merc but will not be made in Germany I reckon...

• Member Contributer

Having repaired dents on quite a few Benz's in my day while at work, and having the factory alarm go off when you open the door without disarming the car, I can attest to the fact the horn on the Benz ML series SUV is FREAKIN LOUD.

I thought I would try out the 12 buck Benz horn as an experiment, bolted it up and holy xxxx ! It is FREAKN Loud. Cheap and quick solution..... I am going to replace the flimsy two piece stock bracket with a stiffer 1/8 inch steel bracket though.....

Archived