Does Anyone Have Experience With This Chain Tool?

vfr

• Member Contributer

http://sprocketcenter.com/index.php/tools-maintenance/afam-chain-press-rivet-tool.html

The price is right and I don't need a tool to cut off the old chain so this would work for me. I have a high opinion of Sprocket Center and don't think they would carry an inferior tool but wanted to see if anyone had a comment on this tool.

That's a mini press tool, with no way to flare your pins, So Id wait till you can get a whole kit from cycle gear, for the same or less money. Ive seen the kits go on sale for as low as $20

Really the only cheap part to worry about is the chain breaker, cause a 530 will damage most of them trying to break a chain, if you don't grind the heads down first.

• Member Contributer

I started using bolt cutters to break chains - so far works great and gets some aggression out my system! This press looks like it might prevent over-pressing the pins which for someone like me who tends to over-tighten things, might be the ticket. It does not look very substantial however . . .

• Member Contributer

The picture looks to me like there is a cone on the press pin to flare the rivets. I can't think of why they would make one without it. Seems like a nice simple tool, that will fit in a tool kit nicely. Having to carry a Dremel tool to grind the old link pins would kind of negate that advantage, though. :blush: Price is about what I would expect, if the plates are good steel. Probably worth it, IMO. The pins in the cheap kit from Cycle Gear break first time you use them.

Kevin

My Motion Pro kit was getting tired and the replacement parts are quite expensive.
I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Bike-Motorcycle-Cam-Drive-Chain-Breaker-Riveter-Rivet-Riveting-Cutter-Tool-/200924656964?hash=item2ec80af544&item=200924656964&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr#ht_3801wt_1124

It is exactly the same as my Motion Pro for 50.00 less and in a red box instead of a blue box...

• Member Contributer

^^^ That looks like a good tool for the bucks.

--- Just for discussion - What chain tools are considered to be the "top notch"?

• Member Contributer

It looks like it would get the job done, just not as easily as a full sized tool. Kind of like the old square chain breakers we used to carry on dirt bikes. They worked but that's about all you could say about them.

• Member Contributer

My Motion Pro kit was getting tired and the replacement parts are quite expensive.

I bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATV-Bike-Motorcycle-Cam-Drive-Chain-Breaker-Riveter-Rivet-Riveting-Cutter-Tool-/200924656964?hash=item2ec80af544&item=200924656964&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr#ht_3801wt_1124

It is exactly the same as my Motion Pro for 50.00 less and in a red box instead of a blue box...

All the buyers I could find (and there were a fair number) gave it positive feedback. To be fair, they may not have used it or if so, likely not more than once.

• Member Contributer

+1

• Member Contributer

I bought the Stockton model from Cycle Gear when they had them for $29.99 (with purchase of any other item) and I have used it several times and loaned it to two other riders and so far no complaints or broken bits (knock on wood). The Stockton unit looks just like the one shown on eBay and is probably the same unit, or at least OEM by the same tool maker.

The most exciting work I've done on a chain was about 11 or 12 years ago, when I didn't have a chain breakaer, but I had lots of power tools. The bench grinder was a bit awkward, then I had a brainwave (which actually turned out to be a brainfart). I got my laminate trimmer, stuck a cheap grindstone bit in it, which normally spun at a few hundred rpm, so I reckoned 24000 should do the job really quickly. :491:

Guess what happens when a mild steel, unbalanced bit with a heavyish unbalanced stone gets spun up to insane revs? :goofy:

Yes - it gets more unbalanced!

And the steel becomes ductile from the stress!!

And then the whole loop feeds on itself!!! Yay!!!!

So there I am, holding this wildly vibrating beast as tight as I can, with both hands, both knees, and wondering how I'm going to turn the sucker off before it explodes and kills me. :unsure:

Luckily, after a while, I managed to bump the switch against my knee. :wacko: (yes, my eyeballs and major organs were all vibrating like that...)

• 1 month later...

I'm putting a slightly used D.I.D. 530 chain on but need to find a master link. I've used clip style master links before (on a sv650) and had no problems. I can only find one D.I.D 530 clip style online.

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/d-i-d-530-standard-chain-clip-link/312-0855.aspx

Does it matter if the previous owner had a clip vs. rivet style master link? and also do all DID master links work with all DID chains? Mine's marked RJ i think.

I've got 22K miles on my original chain and sprocket and this chain and rear sprocket only has about 1K miles on it. Hope my interest in saving money doesn't leave me stranded somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

OP - I just used the $29 Sprocket Center chain tool today installing a new RK 520 chain (and 520 sprockets, -1+2), it worked flawlessly. Easy to press the plates together, and easy to flare the rivets to spec, and this was the first time I've changed a chain/sprocket. Worth the money.

Hint - a dremel with a 420 Heavy Duty Cutting wheel will cut through a chain link in 5 mins flat. Easy and painless, no need for another tool.

+1 for Sprocket Center recommendation, very happy with the price ($185 for the combo) and shipping.

muyf77.jpg

And a glamour shot...

bgvi4m.jpg

• Member Contributer

I recently changed my chain and rather than buy a quality chain tool set that maybe would be used once or twice I found this site that rents Ducati motorcycle tools. Most are Ducati specific but they do rent the RK chain tool (know as the best chain tool made) and a laser chain alignment tool (not need on single side arm but good if you have another bike) for $29.95 USD that includes shipping to and from. They will charge an additional $100.00 deposit that is refunded and you have a full thirty days to return it. Excellent instructions are included. That tool new is about $120.00. The change was a breeze as the tool helps control the flaring spread so you don't overdo it. I spent more time cleaning out the chain lube gunk around the front sprocket than anything else.

http://ducatitoolren.../Tool_Kits.html

Archived