Guest Recalcitrance

Sep 27 works for me. It's actually perfect.

I'm scheduled for LASIK in late August and doc says I need a month before I go on long rides, so this ride might be the very first time I'd be able to see the California coast properly. Excited to see the world through new eyes. (Currently at -10 so I have no idea how correct my registration of the world is through contacts and glasses.)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sep 27 works for me. It's actually perfect.

I'm scheduled for LASIK in late August and doc says I need a month before I go on long rides, so this ride might be the very first time I'd be able to see the California coast properly. Excited to see the world through new eyes. (Currently at -10 so I have no idea how correct my registration of the world is through contacts and glasses.)

Hope it works for you as well as it did for my mom. She rides a Harley and says it's the best decision she ever made (the Lasik, not the Harley :goofy: )

I split up the "interested" list into NorCal/Central/Southern geographical regions, and you'll notice we don't yet have anyone from deep in Northern California. If that continues, I'd be inclined to move the meeting point further south, maybe even to Kernville like last year.

I'm open to input on that, so if you have suggestions let me know. I don't know Big Sur that well, or I'd probably make that the riding area. I'm up for whatever though.

• Member Contributer

I need to find a job that offers more than 2 weeks off per year.

My thoughts exactly.

Despite the possibility that I might not even be able to go, would the weekend of September 27th work for everyone?

Obviously not everyone will be able to go on any given weekend, but let's start with that.

Lots of interest so far, which is cool. The "possible" list:

BrianF (Central) 27th ?

ecn (Central) 27th Y,06th Y, 20th Y

wagzhp (Central)

tc339 (Central)

bayarearider (Central)

trjerm (Central)

crazybro (Central)

crazybro's CBR wifey (Central)

Willy (Central)

Recalcitrance (SoCal) 27th Y

Duc2V4 (SoCal)

mk2davis (SoCal)

thtanner (SoCal) 27th Y

estanner (SoCal) 27th Y

VFR4Lee (SoCal)

riderd (SoCal)

ecn edited to readd tanners..sorry

My god that's a lot of cats to herd.

• Member Contributer

im in...Gonna see if I can con the wife into going 2up...27th. Anywhere within 300 miles of Reno will keep me on the same schedule as anyone else. I can leave Reno on Friday after work, hit an overnight and meet at the start point Saturday.

I split up the "interested" list into NorCal/Central/Southern geographical regions, and you'll notice we don't yet have anyone from deep in Northern California. If that continues, I'd be inclined to move the meeting point further south, maybe even to Kernville like last year.

I've only got to try it once, but whichever roads we took from Kernville north eventually to Three Rivers were awesome.

I recall rating it like (crazy twisty) Latigo Canyon, times 10 in length. It seemed to go on forever. :beer:

Guest Recalcitrance

.... you'll notice we don't yet have anyone from deep in Northern California. If that continues, I'd be inclined to move the meeting point further south, maybe even to Kernville like last year.

I'm open to input on that, so if you have suggestions let me know. I don't know Big Sur that well, or I'd probably make that the riding area. I'm up for whatever though.

I think the size of the group will determine where the overnight halt will be. I'm game for meeting and staying in Big Sur, though $$$$ might be an issue.

When the head count gets a bit more definitive, I'll start contacting hotels in and around the area(s) if necessary.

• Member Contributer

Early fall sounds good, I'm in. Only conflict would be a winning lottery ticket and the resulting trip to the motogp at Misano.

• Member Contributer

Sounds good but 9/27 may not work, dad's 70th bday and all. A week earlier or later would be fine. I am a project manager so I heard cats all day, every day, nothing new! :wink:

• Member Contributer

I'll say yes to the 27th, hopefully I will not have another project that will get in the way!

• Member Contributer

How about meeting here?

http://www.langersdeli.com/

Or bring some of that up from SoCal. Maybe for another trip to points very south.

• Member Contributer

Not gonna make a link up in LA...its 500+ from Reno...if the route takes you North to San Fran, or close....Im good...

• Member Contributer

Not gonna make a link up in LA...its 500+ from Reno...if the route takes you North to San Fran, or close....Im good...

I'd bet we do not end up meeting in LA but how far south or west is open for ideas. Last year we started in Kernville and stuck to canyons and passes of the Sierras heading north (I guess the folks with healthy tires made it through the Tioga and Sonora passes?...) essentially it ran Friday through Monday with folks dropping out and joining in each day. It was kind of funny to watch the early route proposals...for a while I thought it was going to pass through Vegas.

Brian, could you please post what the final route turned out to be last year?

Maybe we could flush out coastal routes and get a feel for whether to either switch to the coast, blend the 2 or split in 2?

From a coast standpoint around Big Sur, I know Carmel Valley road is nice and have heard of Nacimiento Fergusson but I have no experience there. Maybe it would be possible to link hwy 25, hwy 130 and either toss in 152, 35, 84 in between and head out to the Sierras or stick to the Coast and run up to the Napa area?

I honestly don't remember, but I think the route was something like this: http://goo.gl/maps/ATR7k

I continued on through Reno with FHR, then did Icehouse/Wentworth and Mosquito Ridge before heading home. I would certainly be fine with anything between Kernville and say, Pine Flat Lake. Such good riding in that area, high elevation so not too hot, and 1/2 day's ride away for anyone south of about Lake County.

In order to avoid spreading things out too much, I think it's wise to either pick ocean or mountains. I like the mountains more.

I also don't want to end up running too far north, as I don't want the SoCal peeps to have too far to go on the ride home. I'll have a rough route posted pretty soon. Patience.

Brian, could you please post what the final route turned out to be last year?

Too far north I think. Lost Coast especially.

While we're at it, let's move the list up to the current page.

BrianF (Central) 27th ?
ecn (Central) 27th Y
wagzhp (Central)
tc339 (Central)
bayarearider (Central)
trjerm (Central)
crazybro (Central)
crazybro's CBR wifey (Central)
Willy (Central) 27th ?
dadofseven + 1 (Central/Reno) 27th Y
St. Stephen (Central) 27th Y
vfrcapn (Central) 27th N
PorradaVFR (Central) 27th ?

Recalcitrance (SoCal) 27th Y
Duc2V4 (SoCal) 27th Y
mk2davis (SoCal) 27th Y
thtanner (SoCal) 27th Y
estanner (SoCal) 27th Y
VFR4Lee (SoCal) 27th ?
VFR Capt.Bob (SoCal) 27th ?

Hwy 1 north of San Francisco is awesome! There's also The Lost Coast in there. Then Napa Valley is not that far from it.

• Member Contributer

I was able to confirm that Kennedy Meadows is a nice place on 108 just before you start up the west side of the Sonora Pass...recommend this for lunch if it goes that way. My better half and I cage camped there this weekend and chatted with a a GoldWing rider at a Sonora pass overlook and recognized him a day latter coming down the monitor pass with a huge only in the Sierras grin on his face as he recognized us.

Don't try and keep me off the list, Brian! :comp13:

I am 27th Y.

Oh man, geez, I uh, guess I forgot? [insert pushing bike uphill joke here]

Guest Recalcitrance

I'm just going to say it: MONTEREY

Easy to get to. Fair enough midway mark (won't exceed the 8 hour travel limit). Easy to find lodging. Easy to find things to do (for those of you bringing wives/gfs who may want a hen's day out while the bikes play). No shortage of roads nearby and mostly scenic roads to get to wherever you want to go.

Could even swing by Laguna Seca for a group photo at the entrance.

Coming up from SD, OC, or LA would warrant a quick overnight in San Luis Obispo and dinner at Margie's Diner. Get the slab out of the way, manage a good night's rest, and from there, it's a beautiful 144 miles up the coast, through Big Sur, and straight to the the heart of Monterey on Cannery Row.

I know I mentioned this on page 1, but I'm going to put it out there again seeing that the list of North/South Yes's is leaning more towards the South.

STC

• Member Contributer

Don't try and keep me off the list, Brian! :comp13:

I am 27th Y.

Oh man, geez, I uh, guess I forgot? [insert pushing bike uphill joke here]

Oh, sure, bring up old stuff that happened! I promise, no more team building exercises,

I'm just going to say it: MONTEREY

Easy to get to. Fair enough midway mark (won't exceed the 8 hour travel limit). Easy to find lodging. Easy to find things to do (for those of you bringing wives/gfs who may want a hen's day out while the bikes play). No shortage of roads nearby and mostly scenic roads to get to wherever you want to go.

Could even swing by Laguna Seca for a group photo at the entrance.

Coming up from SD, OC, or LA would warrant a quick overnight in San Luis Obispo and dinner at Margie's Diner. Get the slab out of the way, manage a good night's rest, and from there, it's a beautiful 144 miles up the coast, through Big Sur, and straight to the the heart of Monterey on Cannery Row.

I know I mentioned this on page 1, but I'm going to put it out there again seeing that the list of North/South Yes's is leaning more towards the South.

STC

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really opposed to Monterey. I just don't know the area that well. I could drive to Laguna in my sleep, and Highway 1 of course, but beyond that, it would be all new roads for me. I just don't take the bike down there much. I wouldn't make for a good leader if I had no idea where I was going. Also, as you mentioned, price may be a factor.

On the flip side, I've done probably 75 days worth of riding in the Sierras. I know where to go, and more importantly, where not to. It's more about comfort level (and the fact that I like mountains more than oceans).

At this point, the likely scenario is we'll post a couple of different options, and let everyone pick which they like. Democracy at its finest.

Guest Recalcitrance

I've never ridden the Sierras so that would be new and exciting for me. Maybe start a thread with suggestions for locations and votes? Start a pole in this thread?

Lake Tahoe?

• Member Contributer

Sounds good to get routes and figure out when folks vote to do all of them. It's sort of a double edged sword having so many places close by and so little time off to enjoy them.

Looks like we have a Bay Area / Norcal..Tahoe for May 31 and the Sept Sierras option would be close to what Brian posted for last years Norcal/Socal meet:

http://goo.gl/maps/ATR7k

There's some nice videos from the Sierras trip above:

Stucky

Brian

For a Monterey trip, would it make sense to add in the Watsonville / Santa Cruz area like in the "Skyline to Hecker Pass" thread?

http://goo.gl/iBVf6b

Archived