Sick Of The Candy Prominence Red - Plasti-Dipped The Bike Anthracite...

Here's just a teaser pic for now. In total I sprayed 5 light coats matte black, then 3 coats anthracite. I had purchased gloss to go over top, but I downright love the matte look of the anthracite.

I will post more pics once I get it re-assembled, but I am waiting on a set of T-Rex sliders and would like to have those installed before putting the fairings back on.

Total cost of the plasti dip was $75 for the whole bike (shot from a Wagner paint gun)

Best part of it all is it is totally temporary... I'll likely to Diamond Cluster Pearl White next. It is the closest thing I could find to the colour of my old 6th gen :)

post-17230-0-53916300-1394336085.jpg

Yup it self levels... It is stupid easy to work with, totally reversible, and protects the paint. The key to a smooth finest is definitely light coats.

I can't wait to get it back together

• Member Contributer

Wow, that's a great option. Looks really good from here. I had a 2002 Aprilia RST1000 in the Ash Black matte finish and it was a great looking bike. Too bad the electronics on it were so very bad.

I'll be watching!!!!! Post more pics!!!

oooohhh... this looks interesting. I've got a bike to paint, and I wouldn't mind trying this to see how it works. I'd love to see a version with the gloss on it... does it look like the shiny version of bedliner coating?

• Member Contributer

This is awesome! I'm investing some time looking into this stuff. Can you expound a little bit about any issues you encountered? I think this is a fantastic solution opposed to repainting the whole bike!

Thanks for sharing!

JWS

• Member Contributer

I've always wanted try a gloss black on my 5th gen. What kind of prep is there?

Basically just a clean surface and masking the bits you don't want painted. Although the gloss requires a second bit called a "glossifier". https://www.dipyourcar.com/Gloss-Coating/

Seriously nice. I have been batting the idea back and forth, to protect the new paint on my bike. I actually think I may just use the matte clear Plastidip. Same color, but matte. I am definitely liking the wheels, what year are those from, they're very cool. I really do like that color you are using tho, I'll look into that further.

Total cost of the plasti dip was $75 for the whole bike (shot from a Wagner paint gun)

What kind of Wagner are you using? Is that the type that totally changes the whole garage color after the project has finished (have experience on that unfortunately)?

I ran into no problems during the painting process and this was my first time using plasti-dip in any way. As stated before the key is to make sure your first coats are VERY LIGHT. As for preparation it is very key that you wash the car using Dawn or similar soap to remove wax from the fairings. Then prep by rubbing down everything with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water. I didn't need to mask anything off (tank pads,emblems etc) I just sprayed right over top, then used a tooth pick to peel up later.

There is tonnes of info available on www.dipyourcar.com in the forums section. Or search for the youtube channel "Dipyourcar". That guy Fonzie with his huge biceps knows what he is talking about and does a good job of explaining it.

I used a Wagner Double Duty which I purchased off Amazon.com. You have to be sure to very thoroughly clean the gun after use otherwise the plasti-dip will clog it and permanently ruin the gun. They say the spray guns with the motors attached are no good for bigger projects like a car because the guns heat up, and changes the consistency of the dip being sprayed but I had absolutely no problem with my small project. To do the fairings, tank protectors, front fender and nose piece I ordered a 22 oz bottle black (base coat) and a gallon of anthracite. I literally only used 1/5 of the Anthracite, and now I find myself searching for anything else to paint lol!

Cheers,

-Pat

ps. Yup those wheels are from a Focus St.... Not mine however.. It was just the best picture I could find when I was determining whether to order gloss or not ;)

• 1 month later...

Finally got the bike back together and out of storage! Very happy with the way the colour scheme turned out. Here's a few pics:

Sorry for the quality, shot with camera phone

post-17230-0-80929100-1397233895.jpg

post-17230-0-75058500-1397233930.jpg

post-17230-0-81504300-1397233942.jpg

post-17230-0-08331000-1397233956.jpg

post-17230-0-89971100-1397233964.jpg

Next project is the cases ;)

post-17230-0-83285300-1397234325.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wow! an entire VFR1200 fitted in just those 3 boxes? That is A MA ZING!!!!

I almost shad myself in surprise! :goofy:

Next project is the cases ;)

I'd like to see how you are able to mount TWO(2) top cases on the same VFR1200.

Nice color you got there, btw. Wonder how the plastic dip will hold up...

Thanks,

The SH43 box contains two side cases, SH48 will be the top. Not sure why it is labelled that way, as the SH43 are asymmetrical and would look downright stupid as a top case

Got it. What top rack are you using? The Honda OEM one? I have the SW Motech Alu Rack and it holds either of my GIVI V46 or E55 just fine.

Got it. What top rack are you using? The Honda OEM one? I have the SW Motech Alu Rack and it holds either of my GIVI V46 or E55 just fine.

I ordered the entire SHAD setup including their top rack and side racks. I had previously owned the Honda luggage and found it just a little too "nice" for day to day use (and also a little small). Their top rack consists of two support arms and a baseplate which looks to be pretty versatile.

Here is a vid of my setup on a VFR1200x:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived