Sick Of The Candy Prominence Red - Plasti-Dipped The Bike Anthracite...

It looks great! I am very interested in your knee pads/tank protectors. Could you please give me some info? Thank you, Mick.

• Member Contributer

Nice color you got there, btw. Wonder how the plastic dip will hold up...

It's as permanent as you want it to be. Any time a part gets scratched you can pull that section of plastidip off and reapply. Go to youtube.com and search for plastidip. You will see some videos of an audi getting the beat down in winter weather to prove how durable it is. Total weight of plastidip on the average car is under 2 lbs (just in case you were wondering).

Of course it will always look matte because even with the glossifier it doesn't go on like a clear coat and you can't clear coat plastidip because the chemicals are not compatible. That doesn't mean it isn't a great product as you can tell by the pics of that VFR. He did a great job. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

That looks very nice. I was going to do plastidip on my XJ750 tank, but found I had some rattle can engine enamel and farmered it up with two coats of black and two coats of gloss. Yours looks more, ahem, professional!

Here is a few more pics... some before and some after the luggage. The dip is holding up well but I've only put about 600km on since painting it due to a late start to the season here.

post-17230-0-27976800-1401367565.jpg

post-17230-0-08093500-1401367568.jpg

post-17230-0-93327900-1401367572.jpg

post-17230-0-19912700-1401367583.jpg

It looks great! I am very interested in your knee pads/tank protectors. Could you please give me some info? Thank you, Mick.

Oh, those are just the Honda Carbon tank protectors. They don't add any grip on the tank, but the do a good job of protecting the paint.

:cheerleader: Thanks for that! Ordered and on their way from the USA! For some strange reason they are not available over here. Hooray for Ebay!

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired, I copied your idea but used HomeDepot Rustoleum Flex on my front fender. Not as glossy as I would like, but I know I can always return to blue that I don't like.

• 2 weeks later...

:offtopic: Now that I have a set of kneepads like yours, I now find myself admiring your after market seat! Some info if you please! Thank you.

Hey guys, plasti-dip is holding up really well. I have pretty much perfected the cleaning and maintenance aspect of it. To wash you simply rinse with water, then use a automotive soap without built in wax. I use an Absorber (or similar synthetic towel) to wipe the plasti-dipped surface and the bugs come right off leaving no mark. After the bike is dry I use a microfiber towel to apply spray on wax, and wipe clean. The only frustration I have had is one small dribble of gasoline that landed on the tank protector and caused the dip to dissolve a little bit. But since it is matte i was able to touch it up no problem.

Overall I clean my bike as often or less than I used to with the factory paint and it stays just as clean. I plan on soon doing the bike in either matte or pearl white, which I will apply directly over the existing plasti-dip. That being said though, whichever colour I like better of the white or grey I will likely order a second set of fairings from Nicecycle.com painted in that colour just because I like a gloss finish more.

To answer the other ??'s the seat is a Corbin with the carbon finish and was on the bike from day one. I can't compare it to the stock seat as I have never ridden the stocker but I will say the Corbin is the most comfortable seat I have ever had. Also, I don't think you could tape over the pasti-dip as you cant apply a clear coat. Therefore the tape would just stick out like a sore thumb IMHO.

Yes, I use Meguiars Quik Wax and it removes a LOT of the rubbery feeling to the touch, and I would say it has added a bit more gloss (although it is still definitely a matte finish). The wax goes on very evenly with a microfiber and creates a decent scratch resistant layer on top. It's what a lot of the guys use on their plasti dipped cars.

I don't like it either. I liked the blood red of my '98 so much more. This Candy Red is awful looking to me. Painted my fairings.

What is the new colour? Must see photos...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Here is a few more pics... some before and some after the luggage. The dip is holding up well but I've only put about 600km on since painting it due to a late start to the season here.

attachicon.gifIMAG0486_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0487_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0509.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0510.jpg

Does the SHAD topcase mount allow you to keep the OEM grab handles? Did you have to cut the plastic side pieces in order to fit the rack? Any chance of a close-up pic?

Thanks

Archived