It's Time For New Tires!

adg44

• Member Contributer

One day tires ?

A touch over 3,000 miles, 2 track days, and enough tread to keep commuting on them. The pic is of the left side which took the most beating because of the track layout.

I have seen a couple of guys hit the Dragon first thing that mourning with the 023's and by the end of the day there headed to Wheelers for new set of tires. But they absolutely loved them.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Keb,

I feel a distinct difference on the road vs track...especially between Pireli/Metzlers and the Dunlop's. Dunlop's have a much more gradual turn in...front needs track pressures to reall feel it and especially track pressures needed to really trust the ST roadsdmart... the Q's are better, but you really notice the stiff sidewall. Pirellis with stiffer compression and springs excentuate the feel once the Pirellis "fall-in"...more squishy feel, which is gone at 38psi on the street. But, supercorsas on the track give dreamy feedback and your trust is rewarded.

I don't know bridgeastones or Michelin's as well, but between Pirelli/Metzler ST and SuperSports and the comparable Dunlop's there are noticeable differences on the street and track...I will say I do like both...they are just both different. It is easier to tell at 75%+ riding pace or after half the tread is gone.

Just my 2 cents

Matt

The differences between tires seems to have become less obvious over the last few years and surely there is some commonality between brands but the differences are still there. Tire models, not just tire brands, have detectable differences that I feel when I ride. Feel is everything. Feel is dictated by the various elements of tire construction, not just materials used.

So Baileyrock how you liking those Angel GTs?

KEB

on the subject of feel and fun:

I used some Pilot Power Pures one year at TMac. I am sure I didnt destroy them or out-ride them, but after 3 days, I just didnt trust them or like them anymore. Maybe that is the life of those tyres, maybe it was all in my head, I dont know. But I do know that with any Pilot Road2/ Pilot Power combination, I like it, it feels good and it stands up to the use. So those are the ones I go to.

• Member Contributer

on the subject of feel and fun:

I used some Pilot Power Pures one year at TMac. I am sure I didnt destroy them or out-ride them, but after 3 days, I just didnt trust them or like them anymore. Maybe that is the life of those tyres, maybe it was all in my head, I dont know. But I do know that with any Pilot Road2/ Pilot Power combination, I like it, it feels good and it stands up to the use. So those are the ones I go to.

When I use the PR2/PP combo they stay consistent for around 75 to 80% of their tread life and then they start to follow every pavement irregularity and steer with less precision. They also have just somewhat less grip than a tire like the S20 or Angel GT. The difference is very small and not a problem on the street but it changes the way my bike feels.

One thing I like about Michelins is they tell me where the limit is in a very soft voice. I can push them all day long and they just go a little wide in a very gentle manner. The bike feels softer suspension-wise with the Michelins because I never quite carry the kind of corner speed that loads the chassis to where the suspension is more fully taxed. With the S20s or AGTs on my VFR the extra little bit of corner speed I carry keeps the suspension slightly more compressed which is the only time my VFR feels like a true sport bike (to me). That last 1/2 inch or so of travel in the front end is amazing how compliant and trustworthy it is (to me anyway) and the only reason I still own a sport bike.

The fact that Michelin has enjoyed a tremendous run with the original Powers, and then the PR2s but decided to terminate the Pures is telling. They are fantastic tires that more than meet the needs of any sane street rider.

Oh and snow sucks.

KEB

• Member Contributer

Moss will never grow on Switchblade's mc tires!

Had to stop eating my Wheaties ....

And here's why !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDjjbcZu0GA

Found out later the dude on the Busa had just ran thru the ditch and was recovering. Wish I had stop and check on him.

Got the T30s mounted yesterday. Only experience was riding back home 10 miles from the shop, so I don't really have any thoughts on them yet. Decent looking tire, however. Quiet and smooth, too.

I kept my old ContiRoadAttack tires, as I figured someone here might want them since they have only about 1,000 miles on them. The front tire may be cupped/flat spotted, or it was just out of balance. They tires are from CW44/07, so they are six and a half years old. But if someone wants them, just let me know and I'll send them to you. Just pay me for shipping.

- Anthony

• Member Contributer

Keb,

I feel a distinct difference on the road vs track...especially between Pireli/Metzlers and the Dunlop's. Dunlop's have a much more gradual turn in...front needs track pressures to reall feel it and especially track pressures needed to really trust the ST roadsdmart... the Q's are better, but you really notice the stiff sidewall. Pirellis with stiffer compression and springs excentuate the feel once the Pirellis "fall-in"...more squishy feel, which is gone at 38psi on the street. But, supercorsas on the track give dreamy feedback and your trust is rewarded.

I don't know bridgeastones or Michelin's as well, but between Pirelli/Metzler ST and SuperSports and the comparable Dunlop's there are noticeable differences on the street and track...I will say I do like both...they are just both different. It is easier to tell at 75%+ riding pace or after half the tread is gone.

Just my 2 cents

Matt

The differences between tires seems to have become less obvious over the last few years and surely there is some commonality between brands but the differences are still there. Tire models, not just tire brands, have detectable differences that I feel when I ride. Feel is everything. Feel is dictated by the various elements of tire construction, not just materials used.

KEB

I get what you are saying as it mirrors my experience. I think Pirelli and Michelin invented the "squishy" feel around the same time. When I said the differences are less obvious I was referring to grip and wear (though I did a poor job conveying that in my writing) and that is why I went on to say the real difference lies in feel. I have always preferred the Pirellis high end sport tire for fast riding but for a while they were making tires that turned evil before the reached their max wear limit. The last two sets of Pirellis I have used stayed consistent right up to the end. The original Diablo Corsa was awesome but something changed during the product life cycle and the tire quality suffered, same thing for the standard Diablo which was never as grippy but at one time was consistent.

The Supercorsa is the gold standard to me. I have ridden SCs in the rain and even though they are not rated as a wet weather tire their grip is so good they work just fine. I have only run one set of SC's on a VFR and I have run them on a GSXR600 and I swap bikes with a friend who only uses SCs on his Tuono V4s and V twins and I love them. Expensive but they actually wear well for a sport tire though not as many miles as the AGT.

KEB

• Member Contributer

Got the T30s mounted yesterday. Only experience was riding back home 10 miles from the shop, so I don't really have any thoughts on them yet. Decent looking tire, however. Quiet and smooth, too.

I kept my old ContiRoadAttack tires, as I figured someone here might want them since they have only about 1,000 miles on them. The front tire may be cupped/flat spotted, or it was just out of balance. They tires are from CW44/07, so they are six and a half years old. But if someone wants them, just let me know and I'll send them to you. Just pay me for shipping.

- Anthony

I'm in haymarket, I'll drive over and pick them up! Matt

get what you are saying as it mirrors my experience. I think Pirelli and Michelin invented the "squishy" feel around the same time. When I said the differences are less obvious I was referring to grip and wear (though I did a poor job conveying that in my writing) and that is why I went on to say the real difference lies in feel. I have always preferred the Pirellis high end sport tire for fast riding but for a while they were making tires that turned evil before the reached their max wear limit. The last two sets of Pirellis I have used stayed consistent right up to the end. The original Diablo Corsa was awesome but something changed during the product life cycle and the tire quality suffered, same thing for the standard Diablo which was never as grippy but at one time was consistent.

The Supercorsa is the gold standard to me. I have ridden SCs in the rain and even though they are not rated as a wet weather tire their grip is so good they work just fine. I have only run one set of SC's on a VFR and I have run them on a GSXR600 and I swap bikes with a friend who only uses SCs on his Tuono V4s and V twins and I love them. Expensive but they actually wear well for a sport tire though not as many miles as the AGT.

KEB

I hear you better now. I agree...Supercorsas are a fine tire I used to get take-offs from a couple WERA buddies and I could do 3 or 4 more trackdays before they started to really wear and feel sketchy...I DON T like how they feel when 75 ot 80 percent of tread is gone...mostly they Fall in too abruptly...that feeling in the rain doesn't inspire confidence...maybe that's why I like the Dunops Q's in the rain slightly better...but that said I don't have issues with either. I did have an OLD pair of Stones at one time and the front would slide in corners when it was cold and wet...like ice skating...holy CRAP!..

Matt

Just curious as to the range of tire pressure everyone runs and why. Yes the sticker says 36/42 on the swingarm, but is that in line with what all tire manufacturers recommend? I ran 36 in the front of my current Pirelli Angel GT's and front has worn more on the sides with tread still visible in the middle. Tire needs to be replaced as it now has a sort of "Mohawk" appearance to it. Last tire wore the same way, which would lead me to believe that 36# is a liitle too low.

• Member Contributer

Hey Switch,

I was out this weekend on my new M5's and felt them move a lot more than my old PP/PR2 combo on cold tires in cold temps. They never settled down, but I didn't ride very long and didn't have a chance to go to the twisties where I could really heat them up. Have you noticed anything with them on cold grip? Does it seem to take longer to get them warmed up than the Michelins? With the PP/PR2 combo, I could pretty much slam into the first corner I saw and they were solid.

• Member Contributer

Hey Switch,

I was out this weekend on my new M5's and felt them move a lot more than my old PP/PR2 combo on cold tires in cold temps. They never settled down, but I didn't ride very long and didn't have a chance to go to the twisties where I could really heat them up. Have you noticed anything with them on cold grip? Does it seem to take longer to get them warmed up than the Michelins? With the PP/PR2 combo, I could pretty much slam into the first corner I saw and they were solid.

+1 on the cold tire problem, I had emailed 007 about it . BUT now when they get hot they get hot.

Leaving work a couple of weeks ago the temp had drop all day so i took a this certain turn i like alot and slid across the road .

And the other thing is the M5's become very pointed . I mean because of the wear pattern the middle of the tire wears out so your left with a thick center and sidewall that is all ready thicker then most tire so it all adds up to a tire that has a sharp point to it weird !!

med_gallery_18972_5775_158999.jpg

Hard to tell by the photo should have taken a side shot ..

• Member Contributer

At least you didn't slide down the road! I understand the tire shape.

• Member Contributer

At least you didn't slide down the road! I understand the tire shape.

I was lucky. Guy I work with was behind me and ask me the next day what the hell happened.

• Member Contributer

Just ordered a set of Pilot Road 2's from motorcyclesuperstore.com

Hope these will be a upgrade to my half worn Contimotions.

PRB

I love my PR2s. And they are cheaper that the PR3s and 4s.

• Member Contributer

PRB

I was running PP CT's which were suppose to have better mileage.....then I was told about PR 2's. I am around 4 thousand miles on this set and still going. I will admit that the last few months of riding I have been taking it easy as far as riding "hard". I am quite pleased with performance and mileage on the Pilot Road 2 CT's. :wub:

Edit: Checked the actual mileage this past Tuesday night. On the rear I have 3,060 miles. The front has a few hundred more. It was late September or early August of last year when I had them mounted. I am no tire guru and have only run the Michelin's on the Viffer but I must say I have not had any dry traction issues with Pilot Power or Pilot Road tires. Don't know about wet traction....wet roads make me nervous and slow(er). :goofy:

Samsung Droid Charge

• Member Contributer

PRB

How about the mileage difference between the PR2s and PR3s?

KEB

Sorry Keb, I think I've only been out once on them and it was less than 100 miles. OK I guess, couldn't really say anything yet, but sure there sweet per you! :unsure:

• Member Contributer

KEB

Sorry Keb, I think I've only been out once on them and it was less than 100 miles. OK I guess, couldn't really say anything yet, but sure there sweet per you! :unsure:

Any withdrawal symptoms from not riding ?

Archived