It's Time For New Tires!

adg44

Have about 4500 aggressive miles on my PR4s now; the front looks great but the rear is getting down to the last several hundred miles--got a replacement PR4 rear in the mail today. I'll be making a 1600+ mile trip over July 4th weekend & need to have that new tire on for the trip:

20140616_165551_zpsk9fr4z3j.jpg

I REALLY like these tires. It would take something special to make me switch over to another tire at this point.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey everyone,

whats a good cheap tire sit (F & R) for a tight student budget?

i dont ride like Rossi or Marquez, i care more about wet traction in rain and mileage

Go for the Battlax T30s. They are a great tire for the price. If I was doing it again an would spend more money, I would have gotten the Conti RA2s again. The new RA2 evo should be out now as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey everyone,

i dont ride like Rossi or Marquez, i care more about wet traction in rain and mileage

http://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pi.asp/ProdID/364756/ImageName/bt023pair.jpg/brand/Bridgestone/c2/Tires-and-Wheels/c3/Street-Tires/c1/STREET-PRODUCTS/kitkey2/Battlax-BT-023-Combo-Deal

Can't beat that deal

Have about 4500 aggressive miles on my PR4s now; the front looks great but the rear is getting down to the last several hundred miles--got a replacement PR4 rear in the mail today. I'll be making a 1600+ mile trip over July 4th weekend & need to have that new tire on for the trip:

20140616_165551_zpsk9fr4z3j.jpg

I REALLY like these tires. It would take something special to make me switch over to another tire at this point.

I really have to ask, why is it that all the american riders I see on forums are getting such horrible mileage from their tires?

I just got 16,000km from a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 2's and they had a tonne of life left (defected, warranty return) and now have a set of Pilot Road 4's. Is there a specific reason tire mileage is so bad south of the border?

hey everyone,

http://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pi.asp/ProdID/364756/ImageName/bt023pair.jpg/brand/Bridgestone/c2/Tires-and-Wheels/c3/Street-Tires/c1/STREET-PRODUCTS/kitkey2/Battlax-BT-023-Combo-Deal

Can't beat that deal

Good deal, but wrong front tire size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I really have to ask, why is it that all the american riders I see on forums are getting such horrible mileage from their tires?

I just got 16,000km from a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 2's and they had a tonne of life left (defected, warranty return) and now have a set of Pilot Road 4's. Is there a specific reason tire mileage is so bad south of the border?

Yep. Our roads are more abrasive and temperatures are generally higher...and judging from my ride in Ontario, the lack of curves makes a big difference! :tongue:

hey everyone,

Can't beat that deal

oh crap, you're right!

i was few seconds away from placing an order on these. total shipped in to canada for $230 is a steal though

Yep. Our roads are more abrasive and temperatures are generally higher...and judging from my ride in Ontario, the lack of curves makes a big difference! :tongue:

what he said^^^

Higher temperatures, rougher roads, etc. Plus....I'm a fairly aggressive rider.

hey everyone,

Can't beat that deal

oh crap, you're right!

i was few seconds away from placing an order on these. total shipped in to canada for $230 is a steal though

120/60 vs 120/70 just makes your bike turn in faster, same effect as raising the forks in the triples. You would have 0 issue running them.

what he said^^^

Higher temperatures, rougher roads, etc. Plus....I'm a fairly aggressive rider.

What psi do you guys run at?

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Can anyone confirm what tires were installed as stock on a 99 VFR800? I have a Dunlop on front and Metzler on the back..figured they have been changed...

• Member Contributer

Can anyone confirm what tires were installed as stock on a 99 VFR800? I have a Dunlop on front and Metzler on the back..figured they have been changed...

The shop manual lists Bridgestone BT57, Dunlop D204 and Metzeler MEZ4 as stock options.

• Member Contributer

My '99 was delivered new with Dunlop D 204's. You can check the date code on the tires for their age.

• Member Contributer

My '99 was delivered new with Dunlop D 204's. You can check the date code on the tires for their age.

The shop manual lists Bridgestone BT57, Dunlop D204 and Metzeler MEZ4 as stock options.

Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback. I jumped the gun and picked up a pair of Pirelli Diablo's...These are just the standard version and should do fine if I can keep the bike off the track

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Has anyone mounted a 190/55 rear Dunlop Q3 or Roadsmart II on their fifth gen? I've been running 180/55 Roadsmart II to date but it is nearing time for new shoes. The 190 (1/2" wider, so 1/4" on each side) looks like it will clear everything. Thanks!

• Member Contributer

FYI, the answer is no. I put a 190/55 on the back tonight and while it clears front to back, it is very close to the swing arm. I wouldn't trust it with the way tires grow at speed. It looks like a 180 Q3 for track time and a 180 RS3 for street duty.

• Member Contributer

FYI, the answer is no. I put a 190/55 on the back tonight and while it clears front to back, it is very close to the swing arm. I wouldn't trust it with the way tires grow at speed. It looks like a 180 Q3 for track time and a 180 RS3 for street duty.

Any pic's ?

Archived