It's Time For New Tires!

adg44

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Pappa got new sneeks :cheerleader: . I am so happy about my new tires! I need to re evaluate my life :wacko:

I'm not surprised seeing what you were running

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got that right! Explains why I was praying that it didn't rain. Word is I will see ya at Tmac. Nice!

• Member Contributer

Timmy you are making me feel old I raced on goodyears and michelin pz2,3 4 s and then got radial tires on our race bikes what ahuge difference ,sorry like to ride TZs and RG s as well as FZR 400 s

• Member Contributer

Hey Austin, Just saw your subheading. I raced when FZs (no R) were fast and radial tyres were an oddity.

Not for nothin but, the FZR thing makes me feel old. Now the FZ thing...I'll leave the rest to you Timmy :comp13: I have lusted over that FZ600 you had in the pics of your misguided youth. Once the F2 came out it was no match anymore. I raced Louden, and a track out in Long island, Bridgehampton.

Yeh the GT's for sure are great tires but the M5's sure are to . I think I can get the M5's $240 to the door tho .

You can do a bit better than that on amazon through motorcycle superstore.

Here is a list I made with the best prices I could find (sold on amazon as I had a gift card) for a whole bunch of tires. Figure this will be helpful for others. These were as of last week, so some have likely changed since then:

Metzeler Sportec M5:

Powersport Superstore

120/70/17 - $109.68

180/55/17 D - $136.80

Total: $246.48

Motorcycle Superstore

120/70/17 - $98.99

180/55/17 - $128.99

Total: $227.98

w/ D spec rear: $235.79

Bridgestone Battlax BT-023:

Motorcycle Superstore

120/70/17 - $99.99

180/55/17 - $129.99

Total: $229.98

ContiRoadAttack 2:

JC Motors

120/70/17 - $136.28

180/55/17 - $144.09

Total: $280.37

Dunlop Roadsmart II:

Chaparral Motorsports

120/70/17 - $135.88

180/55/17 - $174.88

Total: $310.76 - $40 rebate = $270.76

Dunlop Q3:

Powersport Superstore

120/70/17 - $113.63

180/55/17 - $144.03

Total: $257.66 - $40 rebate = $217.66

Avon Storm 2 Ultra:

Amazon.com

120/70/17 - $116.10

180/55/17 - $149.95

Total: $266.05

Only thing not on this list is the tires I actually purchased! Bridgestone T30s via Chaparral Motorsports for $234 shipped.

Hope this helps.

- Anthony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic

Angel GT caught a nail 5 days ago, plugged with worm and check air pressure daily. I was checking the tire today and it dropped a few pounds, thought the original repair was leaking. Nope, another nail, two plugs now. I'm glad that I didn't buy a new tire.

Do you trust worm/string type of repair?

I feel your pain Mike about the high cost.

I paid over $500 for a set of Angel GT, yes I wish I lived in the USA, not to mention what I paid for my bike. I could have bought almost 2 VFR1200 for the price I paid.

• Member Contributer

I cant believe how cheap a set of tyres are in the usa. $240 for a pair of quality tyres doesn't exist in Australia. we would pay around the $400 mark for the same thing and even more.

You guys are getting ripped off.

Off topic

Angel GT caught a nail 5 days ago, plugged with worm and check air pressure daily. I was checking the tire today and it dropped a few pounds, thought the original repair was leaking. Nope, another nail, two plugs now. I'm glad that I didn't buy a new tire.

I have never trusted a plug on a motorcycle tire. Not worth the risk.

I paid over $500 for a set of Angel GT, yes I wish I lived in the USA, not to mention what I paid for my bike. I could have bought almost 2 VFR1200 for the price I paid.

Hah! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Off topic

I have been wanting to try the patch plug, witch hat looking things but you have to buy them in bulk. They are a plug and patch in one. I have a tire that would be a good trial for the patch. Many users? Feedback?

I've plugged many a tire with the string, over nearly 3 decades of riding, on everything from trackbikes to big-bore kit Hayabusas.

Never had a single problem with a single one of them. And I didn't take it easy on them either after plugging them.

To me, they are simple, quick methods that work. I know there is a lot of "what if" scare tactics/stories heard about them failing (not sure what that would be anyway...another slow leak? Big deal.) but I've never had it happen to me or folks I have ridden with.

I must ride easier, Ive have many different types of external repairs, that never last long before starting to leak, 400 to 1200 mile depending on the type. The ones Ive had last life of the tire have been in a non road contact area, like in between a tread block.

External is easy, but babying them too much hassle, so I counter all you they last forever types. LOL!!

• Member Contributer

Off topic

I have never trusted a plug on a motorcycle tire. Not worth the risk.

Hah! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have done many miles on plugged m/c tires and several of those miles at triple digits. I would trust a plug.

The only thing that will prevent a string plug from sealing is an irregular hole (from running over a piece of steel or similar) or using fix a flat to inflate the tire after plugging it. The slimy stuff in that crap will prevent the plug from sealing.

I must ride easier, Ive have many different types of external repairs, that never last long before starting to leak, 400 to 1200 mile depending on the type. The ones Ive had last life of the tire have been in a non road contact area, like in between a tread block.

External is easy, but babying them too much hassle, so I counter all you they last forever types. LOL!!

Maybe yours were at an angle...those seem to slowly leak about twice as fast as the normal valve stem leaks down.

You can get 10k easy out of PR2/PP combo if you don't do a lot of sport riding, I have a little over 10k and probably another 2k to go. My VFR sees mainly commuter duty with the rare trip to the countryside, but the roads around here just aren't very conducive to spirited riding. You can only run about 6/10ths since the probability of finding a pothole or the muddy tracks from a tractor in the middle of a corner are pretty good.

I'm getting Older & Slower every year, but I've yet to get over 3500 miles from this combo, avg 3200.

Trying Angle GT's at the moment. :wheel:

I put a new set of PR2's on this weekend. Riding it tomorrow for the first time. I'll be commuting mostly on this bike, so I'll post back in 10-12k miles hopefully if all goes well...

I did change one thing which may change the mix...I usually run 36F/42R PSI (no passenger, no heavy loads, I'm 175#.) Tech put them both @ 35PSI and told me to try it. Said the #'s I was using are too high for just me on the bike. This sound right to you guys? Maybe I was wrong all this time and didn't know it...

Archived