To Buy Or Not To Buy And For How Much?

mattindenver

• Member Contributer

Just for reference there is a 2003 VFR on Atlanta Craigslist with 10k miles for $5000 and it includes hard bags and owner claims "showroom condition"

Why on Earth would you not want to save $3000 and buy one from an individual? Most VFR owners I know are anal about maintenance and keep their bikes very well kept. There are plenty of deals out there especially in the winter-time. Is the one you are looking at an ABS model?

Rollin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thanks again. They are down to 8750. I am going to shoot for 8000-8250. It will come with the warranty of that makes any difference.

Matt, it won't be a Honda warranty... Beware! My friend, that's way too much money for that year of bike, even if it were brand new with 0 miles and ABS. You are paying too much! But if you buy it then, hopefully you will Love it because you will never be able to sell it and get even half of your money... I sold my 2006/ABS with OEM hardbags for $6000 and it had 45,000 miles on it and yes it looked brand new.

It's the Black one...

2012-04-20103636_zps0748134c.jpg

And my friends RWB 2007 sold for $5500 and he had almost 40,000 miles on it.

Good luck either way.

• Member Contributer

I agree thats way to much, that dealer is crazy not to take 6k for that bike.

10 years old it will need new tires all fluids changed before you ride it, back then they came stock with shitty metzeler tires they were bad new, at 10 years old i would hate to think.

• Member Contributer

I'm guessing it is worth about $6,000 tops to most people. 3+ years ago I paid just under $4,000 for my 06 with abs, a factory top case and a new, spare Michelin PP rear. It had about 50% tread remaining and was in good condition....8/10. There are great deals if you're patient and fair deals if you're not.

• Member Contributer

Dealer invoice for the 2004 was under $9000. When I bought my 2004 in 2004, I paid a lot less than that! It's their own fault for pricing it too high and letting it sit for 10 years. Run from it as fast as you can unless they give you a very good discount.

BTW, my 2004 came with Dunlop 204's which were horrible and about 3 years old on a bike made in 2004. There's a chance the tires on that bike are 17 years old!!!

Thanks again. They are down to 8750. I am going to shoot for 8000-8250. It will come with the warranty of that makes any difference.

If they freshen tires, rubber hoses, fluids, etc that age just by sitting like they should, the warranty probably won't matter, because you won't use it.

At least look at other comparable bikes for sale before you buy. $7k might be a decent number. $6k maybe a steal. :beer:

You can't usually pull a steal from a stealer. Err, dealer.

As for the 23 miles, well I hope it wouldn't stay there for long if it was yours.

If you get one with 230 or 2,300, meh they're just zeros.

Even 23,000 or 123,000 is no biggie if you maintain it. :wink:

Wow, I can't believe you continue to negotiate with them... I paid $6200 two years ago for a mint '06 with 3k on it and I thought that was too much!

Try CycleTrader.com. I made a quick search. Popping in Denver 80012 zip found the subject bike. I opened the search up to nationwide. Not that you want to travel so far, but just to see prices. Clicken the linky. :computer-noworky:

http://www.cycletrader.com/Honda-Vfr-Motorcycles----CycleTrader.com/search-results?make=Honda|2316874&model=Vfr|764948841&schemecode=AD&sort=featured%3Adesc&type=356953&vrsn=results&year=2003%3A2006&modelkeyword=1&

If it were me I'd wait for clean stock unmolested later model with abs and bags. The price the OP posted is more than I paid for a new '07 leftover in 2009. Take your time, the bike want is out there. Enjoy the hunt.

All great advice!!! Really! You have given me more ammo. I will try for 7500. I am enjoying the hunt. I think part of being the first owner is making the bike your own. Putting it together the way you want. Shout out to all of you! This has been fun really fun!!

All great advice!!! Really! You have given me more ammo. I will try for 7500. I am enjoying the hunt. I think part of being the first owner is making the bike your own. Putting it together the way you want. Shout out to all of you! This has been fun really fun!!

k59a.jpg

• Member Contributer

I guess if the warranty is worth $2,500 to you then continue to pursue this particular bike against all of the great advice that has been given you.

I would find a better use for the $2,500 bucks though.

R R R....if I get them under 8 I think I will pull the trigger. The last I told them was tires or tyres new fluids under eight. Cross fingers

• Member Contributer

What it really comes down to IMHO is, any bike, new or used is worth what you are willing to spend and what the seller is willing to accept.

No matter what, it should put a big :biggrin: on your face!

• Member Contributer

2 years ago in Febuary I purchased from a dealer a 2006 VFR with 2,900 miles in mint condition for $5,000.00 out the door. No way you should pay over $7,000.00 for a 10 year old bike, which although new, has sat for that long. Warranty or not there is a lot of deterioration that has and is about to happen that you will be dealing with. Myself I would feel more comfortable with a 10 year old bike that had more miles but was in use and maintained. When do you think was the last time fluids were circulated through that engine?

Their final offer was 8500. I am gonna back away from it. Again thanks for all of the advice. I think they will be stuck with that bike for a long time. I saw a nice one http://m.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Honda-Interceptor-ABS-(VFR800FI-ABS)-111501443 cycle trader

That's more like it, now offer them $5500 cash or walk! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Their final offer was 8500. I am gonna back away from it. Again thanks for all of the advice. I think they will be stuck with that bike for a long time. I saw a nice one http://m.cycletrader.com/listing/2007-Honda-Interceptor-ABS-(VFR800FI-ABS)-111501443 cycle trader

2000 mi, it's not even broken in at that stage. Much better deal that the first one you were looking at. Prices are hard for me to judge, we can still get new ones, at about AU$13,000.

FYI, my 04 (I bought it new in 2004) has done 140,000km rain, hail and shine and I've only had the one recall and one RR to sort in that time. VFRs don't need warranty - that's for lessor bikes (or new models like my Daytona.... 4 recalls and counting in <9mths!)

• Member Contributer

I bought my 05 last year with 3k miles on it for 5500...that dealer isn't even giving reach arounds...

:laughing6-hehe: if you keep saying things like that,i think you will need to change from spiff to stiff.

Archived