To Buy Or Not To Buy And For How Much?

mattindenver

new to the site. Love reading the threads they have given a lot to think about. Here is the question. How much should I pay for a 04 vfr with 23 miles (yes 23) and full factory warranty. The shop First offered it @ 9800 I have them down to 9250. Thoughts?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to VFRD! :cheerleader:

These guys are on Drugs!!!!

For years people were buying new leftover 06, 07's for $7-7500 and some had ABS.

Personally I wouldn't pay them $6k for it certainly not over $7k. If you have some patience you could easily find an 06-up with all bags and maybe ABS with only a few k miles for less than $7k easy IMO.

You can find new 7th gens for less than that also.

Walk away from these Clowns! :mad:

• Member Contributer

A 10 year old bike with 23 miles may have it's own demons. Personally I'd have a better feeling toward one that's been ridden periodically over one that has not. Agreeing with the above posts, you can get pretty mint, low mileage, >= 07 examples in the 7 k range ...

I would say though, if you are after "new", then comparing this to any other bike out there will have it's merits.

• Member Contributer

good god for that much money you can build your dream vfr. :blink:

buy a dropped one and a throw on some ohlins forks and shocks , some spiffy blinged out wheels and a custom paint job ! :fing02:

tell those clowns to go back to the circus.

I haven't called them back yet. I think I will use some of your comments to get them lower. The shop is an honorable place been around for 30 plus years. They did buy it as a lot purchase. I want to get it but not for 9000k+ thanks for the advice will keep you posted. Oh and happy new year!!!!

• Member Contributer

I would look for a nice used 2010 VFR1200 for that kind of money... :goofy: A perfect 04 is worth about $4500-$5500 at the most and that's with OEM hardbags... I think that bailey is right.... Some drugs are involved... :wacko:

Question though? Did they produce ABS models in 2004?

Yes, it will have "Gold" colored brake calipers, the standard model has black calipers.

I haven't called them back yet. I think I will use some of your comments to get them lower. The shop is an honorable place been around for 30 plus years. They did buy it as a lot purchase. I want to get it but not for 9000k+ thanks for the advice will keep you posted. Oh and happy new year!!!!

Is it Fay Myers or Honda of Denver? Either way if they started at basically retail of $10k there's now way they'll come off the min of $3k they need to. I would tell them that your bank won't loan over $5k on a bike 10 years old(I'm sure they won't) and offer them that $5k.

Too many other better deals out there for less than $7k.

BR

btw just looked at the link and it IS an ABS model, so I might offer them $6k OTD.

I personally wouldn't pay 9k for that bike. I will probably never buy a new bike again though since they charge you for random stuff. Get a bike with some miles on it and save a crap ton of money.

• Member Contributer

Don't be afraid to buy a VFR with some real mileage on it since these engines are very reliable and can easily go over 100k miles with standard maintenance. As Bailyrock already said you can easily score a similar 6th Gen VFR for much less with all the good farkles included like luggage, exhaust, heli-bars, aftermarket seat, etc. Even with low mileage that 10 year old bike is not worth more that $6500 tops IMO. The 6th Gen VFR was made between 2002-2009 here in the U.S. and the changes between years was minimal. The 2006 models and newer included a beefier wiring harness that addressed some of the electrical recalls that were issued on the 2002-2005 models so I would look for one of those years if possible. Also keep in mind that if you shell out $9000 for a 10 year old bike your insurance carrier is likely to value the bike much less which could cause you to lose substantial money if the bike was ever wrecked/stolen and an insurance claim filed.

Rollin

Thanks. All good point. I think I am gonna offer them 7250. I know they won't bite. But it is worth the try. Thank you everyone for the input. Wish me luck.

$7250 should garner a deal, but the buyer carries a deficit. In 2008/9 dealers were discounting VFRs from previous years at 7K and below. Go figure.

• Member Contributer

Any particular reason why you want to purchase this bike from this dealership instead of a private individual? I think you'll get a much better deal from an individual and the only real reason to buy from a dealer is if they are including a full warranty with the purchase.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Just for reference, in 2010 I paid $7750 for a brand new, leftover '07 Anniversary model. That '04 should be selling for around 6K, tops. Look up the retail value of the bike in excellent condition... it will be under 5 grand. The instant you buy the bike you will lose a big chunk in depreciation. You'd be better off buying used.

Garry

The dealer is Sun Honda, in Thornton, CO, just north of Denver. I worked there as a mechanic when the shop opened in about 1970. They sent me to Honda School, the only good thing I have to say about that shop. Offer them $6K, knowing there are lots of other great deals around. Heck, check the classifieds on this site, as well as VFRWorld. A deal not made is never money wasted.

Yeah, good point buzzard60 did you look at the classified section on this forum? Its got a few VFR800's listed.

I paid 6k for my 07 VFR800 with 5k miles in 2011.

I don't know why they'd ask so much money. Seems like you could do much better.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Look at what Kelly or NADA says and offer a bit more than that. Because that's all your insurance company would give you if it was totaled or stolen. I would have no problems buying that bike IF they put fresh rubber on and a new battery and fluids in it.

Archived