You Are Gonna Laugh At This !

Guest theelf

okay im an idiot- :unsure: i over filled the bike because of 2 different shop manual info's on oil capacity-- :unsure: so I knew this was not right - :wacko: I tryed to drain some out - slowly loosing the plug a little comes out and then splash its pouring out- :goofy: - mind you i have the fairings on-- so i am trying to get the plug back in - oil running down my arm :goofy: -small catch bowl to save my brand new 15-50 ultra maxima 10 bucks a quart right-- no avail-- boom drain plug will not go in; oil is to hot on my arm oil all over garage floor-- f bomb!!-- :mad: - 1 hour later floor is clean but stained until i repaint it great a new spring project-- :mad: i saved about 2 quarts had to buy a looooooooong oil funnel - :pinocchio: -luckaleeeeey i had some gn4 so i created my own synthetic blend-- :wink: Thanks again guys for your help i hoped you had a chuckle on this one-----------

• Member Contributer

If the bike is not running, just loosening the oil filter will allow the oil to escape out the filter port, much easier to re-tighten than the oil drain plug.

• Member Contributer

No on my bike the oil starts run out before the filters off, Not alot .... But there's no way I could remove the drain plug and reinstall it before I loose most of the oil ..

P.S. I did the same thing years ago ...

• Member Contributer

okay im an idiot- :unsure: i over filled the bike because of 2 different shop manual info's on oil capacity-- :unsure: so I knew this was not right - :wacko: I tryed to drain some out - slowly loosing the plug a little comes out and then splash its pouring out- :goofy: - mind you i have the fairings on-- so i am trying to get the plug back in - oil running down my arm :goofy: -small catch bowl to save my brand new 15-50 ultra maxima 10 bucks a quart right-- no avail-- boom drain plug will not go in; oil is to hot on my arm oil all over garage floor-- f bomb!!-- :mad: - 1 hour later floor is clean but stained until i repaint it great a new spring project-- :mad: i saved about 2 quarts had to buy a looooooooong oil funnel - :pinocchio: -luckaleeeeey i had some gn4 so i created my own synthetic blend-- :wink: Thanks again guys for your help i hoped you had a chuckle on this one-----------

you dont need to re paint the floor. you just poor the over flow oil oil on the floor and mop it around to cover the whole thing.. the clean it all up.

no big deal.

one of my customers spilled oil on his new $1500 custom embroidered seat.. he FREAKED OUT!!!

i just took some more oil and cover the whole seat then placed a towel on it and let it sit.. yeah it was a few shades darker.. but it wad EVEN.. and not spotted. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Just for future reference. If you find that you have over-filled a VFR - a syphon, using 3 feet or so of 1/4" plastic hose at the fill hole, works great. And obviously, slightly warm oil flows better.

I needed to do this myself just a few weeks ago...

• Member Contributer

Carelessness like this is usually a result of not having enough beer prior to doing the oil change.

Rollin

I overfilled my VFR about a year ago. I just siphoned the excess oil out by using a legnth of rubber vacuum tubing at the oil filler opening. Had to work the end of the tubing under the clutch basket. Other than getting just a little bit of oil in my mouth from sucking it (and maybe slightly shortening my life) out to start the siphoning, it worked really well......

• Member Contributer

I overfilled my VFR about a year ago. I just siphoned the excess oil out by using a legnth of rubber vacuum tubing at the oil filler opening. Had to work the end of the tubing under the clutch basket. Other than getting just a little bit of oil in my mouth from sucking it (and maybe slightly shortening my life) out to start the siphoning, it worked really well......

next time get a girl to help you.. they are experts at not getting any in the mouth..... :unsure:

dont ban me please.. just speaking the truth!! :excl::tongue:

Never ever refer to the service manual for fill capacities. Usually they spec the absolute oil capacity, IE: what they put in at the factory into a brand new, completely DRY motor. (which includes the volume held in the oil pump, oil passages, oil cooler and lines, etc)

Those items stay full when you drain the oil to change it, so you're never gonna get as much in as the FSM states.

I fill to the top of the FULL mark, run the bike to circulate and check for leaks, then shut it down and wait patiently for a LONG time until all the oil settles into the oil pan, then add as necessary to get back to the upper line on the sight glass. All on the centerstand of course.

I really don't care what the overall volume is, all that matters is the fill line. And approach it slowly.

If you REALLY wanna get a little more old oil out, leave the bike on the sidestand overnight with the drain plug out and the oil filter off.

If you're not in a hurry to ride of course...........

• Member Contributer

Spilled oil? Clean it up with paper towels then spray brake cleaner all over the affected area. The fumes will be intense but it will take care of it providing you didn't let it set very long.

• Member Contributer

I hope this is not too far off-topic.

In order to more fully drain the engine at a oil change, when I've drained all that will drain from the drain hole, I turn the bike on and press the starter very briefly, making sure the engine does not start.

Does anyone see a problem? Is it worth while?

You won't hurt anything, but you're probably not gaining any more than a few teaspoons of old oil.

The engine isn't rotating fast enough with the starter, and there's no load on the crank/rods/pistons due to it not firing, and there is residual oil on all the bearing surfaces, so no biggie.

I hope this is not too far off-topic.

In order to more fully drain the engine at a oil change, when I've drained all that will drain from the drain hole, I turn the bike on and press the starter very briefly, making sure the engine does not start.

Does anyone see a problem? Is it worth while?

yes the oil pump will be sucking air done to no oil- and any junk you may have could get sucked in there-- i would not turn over the engine at all with no oil in it- bearings dry etc-- just my 2 cents- but hey i cant even fill my oil level right so you may not want to pay me any mind--

I figured this trick out from changing the water in my fish tank - feed a clear hose into the water (or oil / fuel) and allow the water to fill a length of hose about double the depth of the tank. Then cover the dry end of the hose tightly with your thumb and pull it out and down so that the liquid is now at least a few inches lower than the bottom of the tank. Allow the dry end to lead into a bucket (or oil pan) and release your thumb. Nothing ever enters your mouth, and no pump is required. You can also wrap a shop rag or paper towel around the hose prior to pulling it out to minimize the mess.

• Member Contributer

I figured this trick out from changing the water in my fish tank - feed a clear hose into the water (or oil / fuel) and allow the water to fill a length of hose about double the depth of the tank. Then cover the dry end of the hose tightly with your thumb and pull it out and down so that the liquid is now at least a few inches lower than the bottom of the tank. Allow the dry end to lead into a bucket (or oil pan) and release your thumb. Nothing ever enters your mouth, and no pump is required. You can also wrap a shop rag or paper towel around the hose prior to pulling it out to minimize the mess.

Now I got a crank case full of water !!!!

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Now I got a crank case full of water !!!!

:goofy:

Are there any fish in there? If so, I'm calling the ASPCA.

Archived