Bagman Dutchy

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

I took a leaf from the book of VFRDs lóng distance rider bar none (OLIVE). The panniers themselves are lumpy to lug around and get dirty. a bit of rain doesnot stop us.....

;-)

• Member Contributer

I took a leaf from the book of VFRDs lóng distance rider bar none (OLIVE). The panniers themselves are lumpy to lug around and get dirty. a bit of rain doesnot stop us.....

;-)

Did I hear my name?

Actually Dutchy, I don't have pannier bag liners - I use a couple of packing cubes to organize my stuff and those go directly into the hard bags, with bits and pieces such as tools, tire patching kit, air pump, Canyon Dancer, etc. tucked in nooks and crannies. This way I only have to snag whichever packing cube I need rather than unpacking the entire pannier. I couldn't convince myself to shell out the sheckels for the pannier liners.

But you WERE correct that a bit of rain (or snow) doesn't stop us...

• Member Contributer

Those are some fine insulated cooler bags there Dutchy....How many bottles of lager can you fit in them?

Rollin

• Member Contributer

I don't remember leaving such a thing for you. Maybe you should send them back to me! I'll make sure the proper person gets them. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Those Givi liners look good, Dutchy! Mine came from the PO (that's Previous Owner not Post Office, mailman :biggrin:), with liners made by Wolfman. Here's a pic of one:

Pannierliner.jpg

Very sturdy nylon (not sure what Denier), outer zip pocket (good for documents), inner net flap pocket, d-rings for a shoulder strap--and even spiffy VFR800 embroidery on the side and on the flap. Like yours, mine have a double-zippered flap that makes them top-loading so they're easy to pack and access. I have liners for the top-loading aluminum panniers on my dual sport bike too and I rarely take the panniers off when touring since it's a much more time-consuming process and they tend to be dirty. The 6th gen panniers, on the other hand, are so easy to remove that I generally take them into the room with me like awkwardly-shaped hard suitcases--unless they're really dirty or bug-encrusted.

I also find that unless I've stuffed the liners to the bursting point, I can still fit a tool roll, tire repair kit, etc. into the pannier with the liner. They definitely make touring with the VFR more civilized. :cool:

• Member Contributer

I purchased some oversized (meaning that they fill the lid as well the pannier) for my ST1300 from eBay at a very cheap price.

I could not see packing and unpacking the hard bag or carrying it around.

Looking good Dutchy and Belfry!

• Member Contributer

I purchased some oversized (meaning that they fill the lid as well the pannier) for my ST1300 from eBay at a very cheap price.

I could not see packing and unpacking the hard bag or carrying it around.

Looking good Dutchy and Belfry!

Do you have a link for what you got?

• Member Contributer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ST1300-PanEuropean-Saddlebag-Liners-FULL-SIZE-/111138989738?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e06666aa

They are lightweight (compared to a soft external bag) and fit the ST1300 hard bags very well. No issues with a few uses and I generally only ride the 1300 when the wifey is with me so the bags and liners have gotten a workout :goofy:

they also have them for the VFR800 factory bags.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VFR800-Sideliners-with-Silver-Piping-/111154767183

• Member Contributer

Am I the only redneck here that just stuffs a backpack into each bag? I need to join high society and get me some of those fancy bags!

If it was just me a trash bag with that smell god stuff on it would work fine but when I travel with Mrs. Carver I need to maximize the space inside the hard bag and give her a fixed capacity to pack within.

The bag liners do all of the above.

• Member Contributer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ST1300-PanEuropean-Saddlebag-Liners-FULL-SIZE-/111138989738?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e06666aa

They are lightweight (compared to a soft external bag) and fit the ST1300 hard bags very well. No issues with a few uses and I generally only ride the 1300 when the wifey is with me so the bags and liners have gotten a workout :goofy:

they also have them for the VFR800 factory bags.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-VFR800-Sideliners-with-Silver-Piping-/111154767183

That's a smokin' deal on those - when I bought mine they were closer to $50. I've had them for 2 years and they've held up really well - Bestem does a great job. If I were looking for a set I'd jump on 'em.

I used to use the backpack-crammed-in-the-hardcase method, but then I got these and realized 1. How much more I could carry and 2. how much better organized it all is.

• Member Contributer

I'm just wondering if Dutchy has reached official carpetbagger status yet. :comp13:

Huh??? :unsure:

2. carpetbagger
A lesbian who is sexually promiscuous.
Yo that carpetbagger stole my bitch!

They actually work really well... I have the OEM ones...

At first I thought I wouldn't use them... then I discovered how heavy the hardbags are to lug around... still later I discovered more pluses...you take the softbags out with all your stuff in them (clothes, toiletries, tools, odds and ends) and you walk into the hotel with your softbags over your shoulders... if you're commuting to work you place your helmet in one hardbag (still on the bike) and your riding jacket and pants in the other (assuming you have your work clothes on underneath) and walk in with your softbags... either way, it beats lugging those hardbags around and when you open your hardbags on the side of the road, you stuff doesn't go spilling out and blowing down the highway...

I'm just wondering if Dutchy has reached official carpetbagger status yet. :comp13:

Huh??? :unsure:

2. carpetbagger
A lesbian who is sexually promiscuous.
Yo that carpetbagger stole my bitch!

:laughing6-hehe:

Too obscure I guess. This one. :warranty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpetbagger

In United States history, carpetbagger was a pejorative term Southerners gave to Northerners (also referred to as Yankees) who moved to the South during the Reconstruction era, between 1865 and 1877.

The term referred to the observation that these newcomers tended to carry "carpet bags," a common form of luggage at the time (sturdy and made from used carpet). It was used as a derogatory term, suggesting opportunism and exploitation by the outsiders. Together with Republicans, they are said to have politically manipulated and controlled former Confederate states for varying periods for their own financial and power gains. In sum, carpetbaggers were seen as insidious Northern outsiders with questionable objectives meddling in local politics, buying up plantations at fire-sale prices and taking advantage of Southerners.

The term carpetbaggers was also used to describe the Republican political appointees who came South, arriving with their travel carpet bags. Southerners considered them ready to loot and plunder the defeated South.

• Member Contributer

All right, I pulled the trigger on the bags recommended by Cogswell. VFRD is making me spend money, yet again! I will let you know what they are like when I get them.

C

Archived