Bagman Dutchy

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

:laughing6-hehe:

Too obscure I guess. This one. :warranty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpetbagger

In United States history, carpetbagger was a pejorative term Southerners gave to Northerners (also referred to as Yankees) who moved to the South during the Reconstruction era, between 1865 and 1877.

The term referred to the observation that these newcomers tended to carry "carpet bags," a common form of luggage at the time (sturdy and made from used carpet). It was used as a derogatory term, suggesting opportunism and exploitation by the outsiders. Together with Republicans, they are said to have politically manipulated and controlled former Confederate states for varying periods for their own financial and power gains. In sum, carpetbaggers were seen as insidious Northern outsiders with questionable objectives meddling in local politics, buying up plantations at fire-sale prices and taking advantage of Southerners.

The term carpetbaggers was also used to describe the Republican political appointees who came South, arriving with their travel carpet bags. Southerners considered them ready to loot and plunder the defeated South.

Funny, considering your adjacent 38th district state assemblyman/state senator got termed out and decided to move north to get elected to a safe district, mine, after losing to the Governator. Although he doesn't live here, and only comes around for speeches about eliminating government as the ultimate solution. At least he's been able to keep his government post for 30+ years. Definition of carpetbagger.

• Member Contributer

All right, I pulled the trigger on the bags recommended by Cogswell. VFRD is making me spend money, yet again! I will let you know what they are like when I get them.

C

LOL . . . ! I was telling a friend a while back that " yeah - I'm on this forum, and dang it, every time I log on to it it seems that I end up logging on to some other website to buy more must-have stuff! " . . . Throttle lock, custom seat, grips, peg lowering blocks, mirror extenders, windscreen, Heli's, Power Commander . . . I can't even remember it all. I feel like I need a 12 step program.

Actually, as accessories go, they're pretty inexpensive and you won't be sorry you bought them. As Auspanol points out, you can open your hardbags at the roadside and not have all your stuff spilling on to the pavement or blowing away. Plus you can leave your hardbags on the bike and not beat the tar out of them on doorframes hauling them in and out of motel rooms.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Yay!!!!!

(not sure what this means but we aim to please :goofy: )

It's an expression of joy and a hoo-ray for himself. Obviously a cry for help! :goofy:

Archived