Motech Stand Sucks, Or Centerstand = Hernia

spinalator

• Member Contributer

I installed a new Motech center stand today. Holy cow is it hard to get this thing on the center stand, I have a rear rack on, so I found the best place is the passenger peg. I am not a small fellah, so it obviously is technique.

• Member Contributer

uumm WHAT????

you NEVER PULL UP ON THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!

you steady yourself and push DOWN on the centerstand.

one you have the proper technique you will have no problem centering a fully loaded and packed 1100 lb goldwing.

Yes, just use your weight on the centerstand foot pad. the bike should rise up and settle on the stand almost automatically. Both hands are just used to steady the bike when you do so.

Also note that lowering the front or rear of the bike could make it harder to get the bike on the stand as the bike needs to be hoisted over a longer arc to get it over vertical at the fulcrum of the stand....

• Member Contributer

Also note that lowering the front or rear of the bike could make it harder to get the bike on the stand as the bike needs to be hoisted over a longer arc to get it over vertical at the fulcrum of the stand....

That is what I found too....

Centerstand design makes a world of difference.

I could pop my '86 VFR750 up onto the centerstand while SEATED ON THE MOTORCYCLE.

On my '99 VFR800??? Not a freaking chance.

What's your opinion on BMW's "teeter totter" style centerstands?.....

Those centerstands have given me quite a few big scares when I thought I was dropping them off their stand by accident when the BMWs so easily rock backwards and forward on their stands, but I guess they kinda make sense because it makes it easier to keep the front wheel off the ground too, if needed for certain kinds of front end servicing,

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tips, but I do push down on the centerstand with my foot, it is heavy and stubborn, feels about 250 pounds heavier than the 800 when putting on a stand. Perhaps the motech is taller? It feels tall when leveraging it up. I do agree it is all in technique so I will try different approaches. I have only done it twice so far.

I went with the Honda OEM centerstand, so not about the SW Motech version. I have bought a lot of Motech stuff and they have all been top quality.

For starters, it might help to roll the rear tire onto a piece of plywood (1/2" or 3/4" is fine), then prop the bike on centerstand. It should be a lot easier than on level ground. Then after you get used to it, take out the plywood and try again. Once you get a good feel of the technique, it should be no problem.

I used the plywood trick with an Sprint ST lowered 1". Worked very well. I have no problem with the VFR1200 at stock height.

• Member Contributer

The worst thing was trying to get my ST1300 up on the center stand when I had a rear flat...impossible!

Thanks for the tips, but I do push down on the centerstand with my foot, it is heavy and stubborn, feels about 250 pounds heavier than the 800 when putting on a stand. Perhaps the motech is taller? It feels tall when leveraging it up. I do agree it is all in technique so I will try different approaches. I have only done it twice so far.

The Motech has a design flaw and doesn't work as well as the OEM. A number of people have had issues with it.

uumm WHAT????

you NEVER PULL UP ON THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!

you steady yourself and push DOWN on the centerstand.

one you have the proper technique you will have no problem centering a fully loaded and packed 1100 lb goldwing.

+1. I've got the Honda centre stand, Had it fitted from new. 22.000 miles+ and v easy to use. Steady bike, pushing down with the foot on the centre stand does the job

I have the Honda centerstand.... I can put it up on the stand in the garage barefoot and just my big toe holding the tab down.

all technique.

re: the question about BMW stands - I've had several BMW's and like the balance.

As you say, pretty easy to get either wheel in the air if you need to.

My Guzzi Stelvio was like that too.

I have the Honda centerstand.... I can put it up on the stand in the garage barefoot and just my big toe holding the tab down.

all technique.

re: the question about BMW stands - I've had several BMW's and like the balance.

Uhmmmm... regardless of how well the Honda stand was designed YOU HAVE A VERY STRONG BIG TOE! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

The Motech has a design flaw and doesn't work as well as the OEM. A number of people have had issues with it.

Fooey, I had a big order from Twisted Throttle and just went ahead and got the Motech since it was in stock. I have never had issues with their stuff before. This thing is a pig! Build quality is great, easy to install, but worst bike I have ever had to put on a stand and I have had some tall beasts. For the record I am 6'1" and 250 pounds, and since I never had issues on 13 other bikes I owned I thought I would ask others to see if it was like that for everyone.

I shall look for any local VFR12's and compare, but I think I am the only one in a 400 KM radius...

Thanks again, make sure to follow safe lifting techniques! :wink:

I had SW Mototech center stand installed back in May 2010 (Honda center stand not available in Korea) and had 10 rear tires installed. My VFR 1200 is the only bike that needs 2 people to put it on the stand. One person tugging on the grab rail and other pushing down on the stand and pulling back on the bars. I now can put on center stand myself but I make sure I'm properly warmed up so my back won't go out on me.

all technique.

heh, well yes, good technique helps, but it's pretty unlikely anyone can do it with a single big toe. Good story though.

• Member Contributer

The worst thing was trying to get my ST1300 up on the center stand when I had a rear flat...impossible!

Bummer - just when it's needed the most . . . !

Holy ship! I'm 5'8" and 165lbs. This is the EASIEST bike I have ever put on a center stand. Much easier than the 5th or 6th gens I've owned. I have the OEM stand and that may make a difference. I remember thinking it might be heavy the first time. Then I thought, "cool, this is easy." Hope you get it resolved. Technique does help, but, design might just lend a hand or two as well. Good luck.

I never had issues on 13 other bikes I owned I thought I would ask others to see if it was like that for everyone.

well there's your problem....you've only had 13 other bikes.

you need more practice :cool:

• 1 month later...

iv'e got a motech stand fitted to mine and after fitting it, i got my son to put it on the main stand and although he is 29 / 6 foot and as fit as a soldier can be,AND having owned and ridden a cbr600 for 3 years- HE could not even get the vfr close to going up on the mainstand (at that point i had bought the bike and fitted the mainstand, but not ridden or tried to put the bike on the stand due to still recovering from a broken leg ) . however when a mate came round who is 5 ft 8, average build , average fitness and 54 years old and ridden bikes for years - HE popped it up on the stand no problem as can i (now) - nuff said , it's all in the technique.

I've got Honda centerstand on the VFR and SW Motech CS on the S3R. I'm a nerdy weakling by most people's account and have no trouble with either bike.

Archived