Motech Stand Sucks, Or Centerstand = Hernia

spinalator

• Member Contributer

Make sure that you rotate the bike to your offside a wee bit. In other words, the stand pad on the right side needs to be hitting on the ground at the same time that the pad on the left side is on the ground. Most people do not realize that they put more weight on the nearside pad and not even weight on both pads. Try it.

• Member Contributer

What is the surface like that you're trying to do this on?

• Member Contributer

Concrete, pavement, dirt, sidewalks. I like to put the stand on all surfaces.

Tipping towards throttle side helps a lot, still difficult, especially when fully loaded.

it really is about technique and not brute strength.

the only way i can describe it is to say you use your body weight to push down on the stand, and the inertia of the bike as you pull it backwards and the bike puts itself on the stand.

I agree that technique matters but the weight of the motorcycle, weight of the rider and the center stand design all can make a difference in how much upper body strength may be required to complete the job. When I purchased my '94 Honda ST1100 in 1995, I was 36 years-old and carried ~ 180lbs on my 5'8" frame. Back then I could raise the ~ 700 lbs ST on her center stand by myself w/o much difficulty. However, even then it could still be a hit-or-miss proposition when the ST had a full tank of gas (7.4 gallons), plus the weight of full saddlebags and a dry bag filled with of camping gear strapped to the seat.

After being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in my 40's I decided to drop some lbs and now at age 55 I generally maintain a weight of ~ 142 lbs in my birthday suit. Unfortunately along with the excess flab I've also lost muscle mass (and strength) over the years. So since dropping ~ 40 lbs I now have less body mass available to press down on the center stand tang. As a result I've discovered that more lifting force is now required before I can raise the heavy ST1100 on her center stand and unfortunately these days I'm simply no longer up to the task.

About four years ago I purchased a Motech center stand for my '98 Triumph T-509 Speed Triple to make drive chain maintenance less challenging. I found the product to be constructed of quality materials and a good design. As a result it has worked well in that application and I can still raise the ~ 470 lb S3 on the center stand without too much difficulty. However, it is becoming a hit-or-miss challenge for me to raise my '98 Honda VFR800FI on the center stand. I believe the VFR probably weighs ~ 520 lbs full of gas + the weight of the aftermarket top box & mounting brackets I've added. So these days after a long day in the saddle I generally will leave her on the side stand in my shed in lieu of attempting to use the center stand-at least until I've had some time to "recharge". On the other hand, the 2006 Yamaha Majesty (400 cc "maxi-scooter" I purchased for my wife last summer at 657 lbs supposedly doesn't weigh a heck of lot less than the VFR, However, I've discovered it's still a piece of cake for me to put the Majesty on her center stand. So in this case at least it appears center stand design can make a big difference.

Still, while center stand technique is important, so are body mass, strength & center stand design.

That said, it's time for me to head for the gym...

• Member Contributer

Smoothsalin, I agree. I have an ST1300 and it is becoming increasingly difficult to get it up on the CS the last year or so for me. I think it weighs something like 750 lbs wet, but not loaded, so it's got to be over 800 lbs when my wife and I put gear in the sidecases and topcase. I've also found that just a very slight incline will make it impossible for me to get it up. (No pun intended!) Over 50 is starting to change how I do things and what I can and can't do...getting old sucks!

• Member Contributer

Smoothsalin, I agree. I have an ST1300 and it is becoming increasingly difficult to get it up on the CS the last year or so for me. I think it weighs something like 750 lbs wet, but not loaded, so it's got to be over 800 lbs when my wife and I put gear in the sidecases and topcase. I've also found that just a very slight incline will make it impossible for me to get it up. (No pun intended!) Over 50 is starting to change how I do things and what I can and can't do...getting old sucks!

Getting old is not for sissies!

• Member Contributer

Lowering the front/raising the rear made my 4th gen far more difficult to put on the centrestand. But it is a price worth paying....

I've got Honda centerstand on the VFR and SW Motech CS on the S3R. I'm a nerdy weakling by most people's account and have no trouble with either bike.

??

revenge-of-the-nerds.jpg

Think Booger's Master.

original.jpg

• Member Contributer

I bought the OEM centre stand off of partzilla so I will install it and report back to the inmates about Motech vs OEM. Same bike, same operator, so it should be a reasonable data point. FWIW, partzilla a has it for 209, not 249.00 which is MSRP, and 5% code brings it down to 200.00 Still not cheap, but close to the 189.00 I paid for the Motech one.

• Member Contributer

I've got a SW-Motech centrestand fitted to my K1300R. It is truly a bitch to get onto the stand compared to my 6th-gen VFR, even with good technique.

The Motech stand for my bike also makes it lean 5 degrees over to the right. Truly. I'm not the only owner with one of these stands to notice that problem either. Ergo I guess the point I'm making is that the Motech stand designs may not be the best.

I would always go with OEM centerstand if it is available. Sometimes you don't have a choice.

As much as Honda wants for the VFR1200 MSRP, it should have come with a CS.

FWIW, OEM stand on the VFR1200 and by far the easiest bike I can recall to put on it. I am a shadow of what I used to be strength-wise but I can easily manage putting it on the center stand while on my bike lift, which has an uneven surface to say the least. I'd say it's easier to put it up while on the bike lift than my Tiger 1050 was on the ground.

So it'll be either a lack of technique - doubtful - or down to the SW-Motech stand.

Just my two cents etc.

Definitely the SW Motech stand, I found it virtually impossible to use unless I put a block of wood under the rear tyre first. I've since changed bike to a Crosstourer with an O.E. centre stand and it's a doddle.

The Motech stand for my bike also makes it lean 5 degrees over to the right. Truly. I'm not the only owner with one of these stands to notice that problem either. Ergo I guess the point I'm making is that the Motech stand designs may not be the best.

I noticed a lot of center stands, OEM or aftermarket, do not stand the bike up perfectly vertical. A slight lean may not be such a bad thing, as it helps to offset pavement that isn't perfectly level. Of course, it would be up to the rider to make sure the bikes is facing the right direction to use the "built-in" lean compensate for the slope of the parking surface. Most riders learn do that with side stands anyway.

It may be simply a matter of manufacturing tolerances, or maybe the lean to one side is designed into the centerstand.

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Update: I took the Motech off and installed the Honda this spring and had a full season of riding on it.

Massive difference, I am so happy with the OEM. It honestly is easier to put the fully loaded 1200 on the centrestand with the Honda stand, than the empty bike on the Motech stand. There is something in the design of the Motech which really makes it difficult to get up on the stand. The OEM is so easy, that when it is empty, I can pop it up on the stand wearing my flip flops (at home). I do not have the handles on the bike, since I have a rack, but a light pull on the rack, push down with one foot and she springs onto the stand. Just like every other bike I have owned.

My Verdict: The Motech stands royally sucks for the 1200, buy the Honda one. I am not thrilled that Motech refused to allow me to return it, and unfortunately Twisted Throttle sided with the company.

Glad to see others having such difficulty with the Motech center stand. I can only use it at home where I back onto a 3/4 inch piece of wood....and it's still difficult. This is the first bike I've ever had such difficulties with. Any more hints? I'm quite dissappointed with mine.

• Member Contributer

I could not make it work satisfactorily and sold it for half price even though I used it 3 months. When it was loaded it was almost impossible to lift up. As I said in an early post, I am 6'1" and 240 lbs, and I have never had an issue with about a dozen bikes on stands, until this Motech piece of s---t.

Archived