Done Looking At A 95, It's In My Garage!

Are you guys really having trouble with ethanol mixes? Because I've had absolutely none.. I recently started my bike for the first time in two years, same gas was in the tank the whole time and it didn't miss a lick, I even rode it till it was gone without issue..I did pull the bowls first, and they were clean as a whistle, so I proceeded.

You probably still had %100 gas still in it.

Nah, we've had ethanol blends at pretty much every pump around here for well over 5 years, and even then, we have all been getting blends for a LONG time, they just started telling us about it recently with the rise of ethanol based fuels. The "gas-a-hol" deal has been going on since what, the 70's? Just a way for corporations to have a higher profit margin..

+1 here in SF. Never had problems with ethanol blended fuels here in northern CA

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

The owners manual says the 94-97 VFR fuel system is designed to work with up to 10% ethanol, so the issue wouldn't stem from hoses and seals being eaten as I've heard can be the case with some older bikes. But I do see people having a lot more problems with fuel gumming up carbs when sitting for too long these days... probably as a result of ethanol blends.

Either way... I would almost state carbs as an advantage. Smooth throttle response, less electronics to deal with (nice for project bikes), and less fuel injection induced possible weirdness (lean running under small throttle openings, surging, jerky throttle response at low speeds... etc). Some might argue these things make the bike more fuel efficient but I get 5mpg average better with my 4th gen than my 6th gen. Positives and negatives for both I guess.

Back to the topic at hand... did you end up buying it?

You got me on fuel injection "surging, jerky throttle response at low speeds " no argument there.

• Member Contributer

You got me on fuel injection "surging, jerky throttle response at low speeds " no argument there.

And to be honest I didn't experience a lot of these "issues" on my 6th gen, but in general I think we see a lot more of these issues with fuel injected bike than carbed models. I have just always found it funny how some riders seem to think buying a newer fuel injected bike is going to be this world changing revelation...

• Member Contributer

Dutchy had it right on!

Look at her and if she moves parts no other bike does......the red head sure felt good and right, she had me before she let me ride her.....see her again in a week!

• Member Contributer

.....see her again in a week!

You just rode out there to test ride? Completed the deal? Back in a week with a trailer? Photo?

Yep, just rode out to take a look and the owner let me take her for a spin! Deal is in progress! I better check the tires on my old trailer!

And here are few photos!

post-9578-0-35969200-1369017175.jpg

post-9578-0-71496700-1369017206.jpg

post-9578-0-34154800-1369017237.jpg

post-9578-0-13289200-1369017275.jpg

post-9578-0-78534100-1369017303.jpg

post-9578-0-20353800-1369017325.jpg

It will be a long week, but I know she will be sure with the wait!

• Member Contributer

Any marks on the very bottom part of the frame spars? A nick there (from clutch or brake pedal) means -at leat- a tip over.

NACA's are the best and in red,

the fastest!!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all your help folks! Redhead is my garage! More questions will be coming I am sure after we get to know each other a little better! Oh how she whines!

• Member Contributer

I've owned a 4th,5th,and 6th Gen.My '95 was the best of the lot.As said before,it has the smoothest and widest powerband of all of those,the 5th is very close but has a small opening glitch in the FI.The 6th is like a middleweight ,got to rev it to get real power.Bike looks a lot sportier with the handrails removed and seat cowl on.

Enjoy!

Archived