Guest davjohns

Guest davjohns

Long ago, a buddy of mine convinced me of the value of a flashlight being handy. I keep one on my keyring, in the pocket of my uniform and such. So, at the risk of getting too gadgety with my bike, I added a couple of flashlights to my helmet. One side is red. The other is white. It was very simple. I used a little velcro so they can be removed. They are secure enough that the wind is not going to dislodge them. They have high and lower power. They also have a flashing mode, but I can't imagine ever using that. I held the lights to the helmet while wearing it in a darkened room to make sure it was easy to direct them where my eyes go. No worries.

Just a thought for anyone who might be interested.

post-26492-0-55013900-1360421099.jpg post-26492-0-23152400-1360421100.jpg post-26492-0-68038500-1360421100.jpg post-26492-0-98793300-1360421100.jpg

And some people give me grief because I carry a flashlight everywhere I go, along with my leatherman and a pocket knife. I like your idea, could be very handy rooting around in a tank bag or such. :cool:

I used the Inova Micro Light because I already had one on my keyring and knew they were bright. You can get them on ebay, but you have to pay shipping. I can get them for the same price without shipping at the PX. I take off the key ring for the helmet mount. I was going to attach a wire in case it came loose, but it is plenty secure with just one inch velcro.

• Member Contributer

Nice idea. Keep in mind that anything solid on your helmet should be able to come off in a crash as to not puncture through the collapsable foam. The velcro should do the trick!

• Member Contributer

Some police on BMW's here have LED light source point at there reflective vest at night time. Its causes the the whole vest to glow. Riding home late one night from my brothers farm, moving at a pretty good pace, look into my rear view mirrors and seen this green glowing ball closing at a pretty good rate. I knew I was about two mile from a stop sign so pick up the pace so as to arrive at the stop sign first, lo and behold a popo on a beemer. The following conversation went like this.

Me: I didnt know what the hell you were.

Popo: I guess that explains the high rate of speed.

Me: Oh officer was I speeding !

Popo: SLOW DOWN !! I am going to be in front of you and DONT PASS ME !!!

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure on the intended use, but if it's turned on while riding, I would be concerned about it pointing into the eyes of on-coming traffic.

Better off to do this with laser pointers. Really gets the attention of the oncoming traffic. :unsure::pinocchio:

I'm not sure on the intended use, but if it's turned on while riding, I would be concerned about it pointing into the eyes of on-coming traffic.

Because he has one red and one white and they're both aimed forwards, I assume it is for reading.

• Member Contributer

We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Kinda what I was thinking...LOL

I'm not sure there is an intended use. But if I have to get off the bike and check something, they are handy and leave my hands free. For them to be pointed at oncoming traffic, I would have to be looking at that traffic. And I have no intention of using them while in motion. My dash panel is lit up and I have a headlight, so why would I?

• Member Contributer

And some people give me grief because I carry a flashlight everywhere I go, along with my leatherman and a pocket knife. I like your idea, could be very handy rooting around in a tank bag or such. :cool:

EDC, baby... :cool:

post-362-0-55523200-1360786441.jpg

Ciao,

I carry an Inova flashlight, it uses two 123A batteries and has 5 LEDs. Not the brightest, but just about right for almost all tasks within arms reach.

Also, I see two items I cannot EDC in that pic. (Or is that two built-in things I cannot EDC built into one gadget?)

::EDIT:: Also, I wrap my flashlight with a layer of athletic tape, which helps with keeping a grip on things.

• Member Contributer

At TMAC, people wondered where the batteries for my glow in the dark hemet were stashed........

fdc69971.jpg

Buggered up the post while editing, working on it. (Or gave up and went to the bar/dancehall...)

Every Day Carry.

For me it's things like a pocket knife, pens, flashlight, lighter, pocket notebook, wallet, etc.

People can get pretty crazy about what they carry. All I know that I hate going through metal detectors.

'Security Guard' : "Do you have anything metal?"
Me: "Got a bucket?"

::EDIT:: Also almost always wear a watch, as I can't normally carry a phone. Though I try to remember to have it on the bike most of the time. Gotten a couple interesting reactions when meeting someone, and pull out a pad of paper to take down their (hopefully her :cool: ) number. Especially if I confess to not remembering where I left it. Home, garage, or bike. :unsure:

::EDIT2:: Oddly, my phone is still the best way to reach me, as I don't check my personal email very often. And websites like this are my substitute for more conventional "social media"; sites. But if I'm not streaming TV or reading news, the computer gets turned off. I deal with them all day long, so by now if I get frustrated at my personal setup, I'm more likely to kick it, then go do something else. Hence I avoid the computer when I'm home.

FIXED!

• Member Contributer

I carry an Inova flashlight, it uses two 123A batteries and has 5 LEDs. Not the brightest, but just about right for almost all tasks within arms reach.

Also, I see two items I cannot EDC in that pic. (Or is that two built-in things I cannot EDC built into one gadget?)

::EDIT:: Also, I wrap my flashlight with a layer of athletic tape, which helps with keeping a grip on things.

Just a little thread-swerve, gents! Look up "EDC" on the Web and ye shall see a lot of cool ideas and gadgets. I've always carried pocket knives and flashlights--ever since I was a kid. Something to do with being a "fixer" by nature--I have to have tools available at all times. I used to use a 4" blade Spyderco Clipit as a keychain and one time forgot about it when going through airport security in Munich. After setting off the metal detector I pulled it out of my waistband, together with the keys attached to it, and the security officer proceeded to frisk me--totally ignoring the nasty looking "DEADLY WEAPON" in my hand! This was pre-911, though, but still...the vaunted "German efficiency" took a hit in my mind right there.

That's a Victorinox Swiss Data thing (forget what it's called) in my pic, originally came with a single 4Gb USB stick, but which I upgraded to carry 2x 64Gb USB sticks, and it includes a small LED light and a ball point pen (but no blades of any kind, so airport-security OK). The USB sticks are encrypted using 3rd-party software, so I can carry a large amount of data with me at all times with no worries. Everyone's got different EDC criteria, of course. I travel a lot, so I have to be very careful about bladed tools, but I have no restrictions on carrying data/USB (for example, some employers prohibit this, I understand).

Ciao,

Archived