Sidi Boot Feedback

huntinggunns

• Member Contributer

Time to actually purchase some motorcycle specific boots. After researching I have narrowed my search down to SIDI. I am looking at the Vertigo, Cobra, and Fusion. The input that I am looking for from the members that wear any of these versions of boots is:

How comfortable are they.

What temperature range do they work for you from hot to cold (Oklahoma gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter).

I am toying with the idea of getting the rain version but I really do not ride in the rain that much and really need more of a 3 season boot, I figured the rain version would be really hot in the summer, but tell me how the rain version works for you in that respect.

Any other information you might feel is relevant.

Thanks in advance for the input.

My opinion

Avoid velcro at all costs, it doesnt last and Dont buy anthying you havent actually tried on, there's an obvious difference, between say alpine star and sidi fitment, not necessarily size, but just the way they wear, sole support ect.

• Member Contributer

I have worn Sidi for several years. I have the Street Burner short boot/shoe. It affords all the protection possible without being a full height boot. Open and close air vents, ratcheting and velcro closures. It is my favorite, most comfortable, go to boot for casual riding. I also have the Cobra Rain. It is very comfortable and water proof. I would not get a rain boot unless it is your second boot. They are just too hot for 9 months out of the year in Oklahoma. I wear them in the cooler and colder months not only for the wet, but they are warmer since they don't ventilate. My foot is a little on the narrow side. If you have a full D or wider foot, be sure to try on before you buy. Also one trick is to buy one that is just one half size too big and then get some SuperFeet (green) inserts to replace the stock Sidi footbed. I do that with all my boots. For track days and agressive summer riding I have a pair of Alpinstars SMX-5, air version (ventilated) that have served me well. They fit similar to the Sidi's.

I have the Strada Evo Rain and I wear them all the time. They are incredibly comfortable. 100 degree weather might be too hot for them as there is, of course, no ventilation. Sidi makes a good product. You won't be disappointed.

I have a full length Sidi boots and Streetburner Sidi riding shoes. Really happy with both of them.

Both of them are great use for tropical weather, not too hot in summer as they all equipped with ventilation - those could be switch open-close.

Regarding the velcro, I don't really mind that. I even prefer it at some of the non-essential place, either on shoes, boots, , jacket or pants.

Last year, I had a high side accident. After all, I found that there was a big scratch at the side of a boot. It meant that there was strong crash btw my foot and the road surface. However, the whole of my leg, foot has no pain at all. Love the boots and still use them.

• Member Contributer

Every foot has it's match in boots, like lids for heads... Sidi's fit me well, current pair 5+ years, sole still in good nick, velcro still functioning fine, can walk around for a couple of hours no probs in them without the usual aches and discomfort you would generally imagine...

• Member Contributer

I had the Sidi Strada and will have echo the "Try it on first if you have a wide/r foot". I wear a D width shoe and the Sidi's are fine when I first put them on, but after a couple hours they kill my feet. Just a tad too narrow. I wore Sidi bicycle shoes and had the same problem. Great boots but just don't quite fit wider feet.

Those Italians must just have narrow feet. :)

• Member Contributer

Two measurements are critical. Width of foot and calf. I have had three sets of Sidis. They are narrow in the box, like Italian shoes, so they can be a problem if you have a wider foot. I use Sidis for the track but for sport touring use I have the TCX Airtech Goretech. TCX used to be Oxtar -- they use a different name now. They are also a European boot but I have found they are far more comfortable while offering good protection. Check out Revzilla. They have nice videos of many of the boots.

Alpinestars boots are nice but the narrow calf precludes me from using them on the track. My leathers and calves won't fit in the boot.

• Member Contributer

I bought some Sidi Fusion boots from NewEnough, AKA MotorcycleGear.com this spring. The boot was extremely narrow, and there was a boatload of play on top of the ankle. That allowed my foot to get shoved into the toe of the boot, making the narrow cut even more aggravating. They are synthetic leather which is very stiff, but I didn't keep them and don't know how long it would take to break them in.

My last boots were the Oxtar Matrix, which were extremely comfortable, so I sent the Sidi boots back and got some TCX S-Sportour boots, which are excellent. They fit great, and have a good compromise between protection and comfort. Unless you have a narrow foot, give TCX a try!

• Member Contributer

interesting to see comments on sidi being narrow - I have very broad feet and sidi's are one of the few boots that fit them... Also the adjustable upper boot means they are also one of the few boots that fit my calves, and they're not fully adjusted out...

• Member Contributer

My Vertebra Air's were very breezy which was perfect for Texas summers. I'd still be wearing them if I could get them resoled. With a wide foot and a fat calf they fit well albeit a bit stiff at first but that soon improved.

I ride year round so I eventually picked up an inexpensive pair of waterproof touring boots as a backup. You might consider Boot Covers if you don't ride in the rain very much.

If you can't find any locally to check out, Moto-Liberty in Dallass stocks Sidi as well as TCX but I'd call first to see what they have.

• Member Contributer

Sidi here also, I picked up their Vertigo (waterproof) boot a couple of years back. They utilize zippers and a velcro tab at the calf, makes them easy on/off. They also provide a vent toward the toe box that is waterproof when open...

I have the Sidi Vertigo Rain and like them for my sport riding boot. My only minor complaint is that the toe sliders do not entirely protect the sole and I have beveled the sole along with the toe slider. They are great for riding, but not so great for walking so if you plan to do much more walking than required for fuel/lunch stops you may want to consider something else.

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of Gore Tex Stradas. I wear them pretty much year round in deep South Texas and don't find them horribly hot. I'll admit that once the mercury hits triple digits, I leave the bikes in the garage most of the time. They are plenty water resistant for most rain riding, but will leak a little after several minutes if you go wading in shallow streams.

• Member Contributer

Being that I wear full length boots only when I go for sport or long distance rides I don't wear them daily. I have a pair of TCX Jupiter boots (cut just above the ankle) for daily/commuter riding and they are great for that. I bought a pair of SIDI Cobras originally for use as mentioned, but I don't wear them anymore now. I wore them about 4 times. They are great boots but I like the Jupiters so much I bought a pair of TCX S-Zero waterproof as they were on closeout for a great price and I thought I 'd give them a try. I was going to get the non waterproof version but figured why have two pairs of non waterproof boots. I like the fit better that the SIDIs so I started wearing the TCX consistently. I even wore them during the summer months without any discomfort or over heating. I've been wanting to wear them in the cooler/wetter weather to evaluate that side of them, but So. Cal hasn't provided us much of that.

The original plan was to wear the SIDI boots for warmer weather and the TCX for cooler/wetter weather. This didn't turn out to be, so plan B went into affect, I stopped wearing the SIDIs and bought a pair of TCX Race-Air for warmer weather. I have nothing against the SIDI really, I just like the fit/feel I get with the TCX better. That being said, the SIDI's I have are size 42 (8.5 US) in Red and are essentially brand new (no scuffs, rips, tears, etc.) If these are your size, I would be willing to sell them to you at a great price. I'll eventually put them up in the classified section.

Cheers

• Member Contributer

I wear Daytona Sport boots - several advantages - comfortable from the get go, great protection, zip close, and best of all you can replace the outer skin of the boot due to age or a crash. Good protection - on par with any top of the line boot, Also do not find them hot and they have no air flow.

Have worn Sidi, Alpinestar and Joe Rockets before and Daytona beats them all

• Member Contributer

Don't buy a boot without trying it on first. Walk around in the store for a while with them on to get a good idea if they are comfortable. I love my Garne boots I bought used to replace a pair that didn't fit right. Hint. The cheaper the boot the less likelihood they are built for lasting comfort.

• Member Contributer

My Vertebra Air's were very breezy which was perfect for Texas summers. I'd still be wearing them if I could get them resoled.

Do a search, I'm sure someone out there resoles them. :cool:

http://www.resole.com/Sidi-Repair.aspx

I looked into getting my first pair of Streetburners resoled, but the cost was too close to just getting a new pair.

I looked into getting my first pair of Streetburners resoled, but the cost was too close to just getting a new pair.

Good point. If the boots are priced well enough, it isn't worth spending $80 to have them resoled. Some of Sidi's boots run $400 though, so $80 to make them last another few years is probably worth the price.

• Member Contributer

My Vertebra Air's were very breezy which was perfect for Texas summers. I'd still be wearing them if I could get them resoled.

Do a search, I'm sure someone out there resoles them. :cool:

http://www.resole.com/Sidi-Repair.aspx

Thanks! I hadn't looked online for boot repair although I did try to order replacement soles from a US Sidi distributor and they stayed on backorder for 4 months before finally cancelling the order. The places close to me either wouldn't touch them or wanted to put some military off-road tread on them. Consequently, they've been sitting ever since.

• Member Contributer

Couple of things I'll add.

I like Sidis - I'm on my 3rd or 4th pair now. But in my experience they are generally a little narrow - so try them on if possible (or order them from some place that will allow you to return/exchange with no penalty).

There are exceptions: They offer a 'Vertigo Mega' and a 'Way Rain Mega' which accommmodate wider feet. I have no experience with those two models, but they exist.

When the soles of my first pair of waterproof Sidis wore out, I went with a m/c boot resoler. (Those boots fit "like a glove" from the factory, so I wanted more life out of them.) I got the recommendation from ... somewhere, I dunno. Anyway, the quality of their work was good, and they added a m/c-specific sole. But ...

But, in order to glue on the new sole, the resoler needed to tuck in a little of the existing material. End result? Those sidis look like new, and show good quality, and still "fit like a glove" - but they now unfortunately are a glove that is a fraction too small. Ouch.

So, good luck with whatever you try out! And I'm sure that resoling boots will work for some people. But I'm just replacing my boots the next time they wear out.

Ron

I have a pair of SIDI Adventure Rain boots and a pair of the street touring Vertigo Rain boots - they are awesome. They felt like they were my boots from the minute I put them on. Both required no break-in and are super comfortable. They are also the first boots that actually stay dry in wet weather.

• Member Contributer

I have a pair of Sidi Way Rain boots. They were a little tight in width when I got them, but have broken in nicely. My feet get a little cold below 50 degrees. Haven't had to wear them above 90 degrees, so can't comment to that. They are great quality, not as comfortable as my old Cruiser Works, but much better level of protection.

interesting to see comments on sidi being narrow - I have very broad feet and sidi's are one of the few boots that fit them... Also the adjustable upper boot means they are also one of the few boots that fit my calves, and they're not fully adjusted out...

From my experience, SIDI gets wider as you go up in price. The really hardcore boots fit the widest, while the entry level are more narrow. I've found this to be true of both Street and Dual-Sport lineups.

Archived