Sidi Boot Feedback

huntinggunns

• Member Contributer

I notice a few people in this thread discussing resoling of Sidi boots. I took my Sidi Vertigo (Lei Vernice) to a shoemaker and there was no problem having them resoled. I just had a workboot sole put on the boots - provides decent grip when I put down my foot. At the same time I had a higher heel put on the boot enabling me to flat foot the VFR (makes a HUGE difference!). The heel provides height and stability when I am at a stop, but doesn't get in the way when I am riding. Much easier than lowering the bike and messing with the geometry.

High Heeled Sidi

The trick is finding a shoemaker who is a "craftsman" rather than a walk-in mall chain that doesn't train their staff.

Comfort

In terms of comfort - these boots are fantastic for riding. They are not a touring boot, but have been very comfortable on my long rides. The key is to ensure you have alternate footwear if you plan to walk around - the Vertigo does not allow a lot of ankle movement and are awkward to walk in. They are purpose built.

The air vent allows for a bit of foot cooling when riding. Temperature isn't a big deal in them - I have ridden in California and Florida with them, as well as Canada in the spring and fall - so range of 30F to 110F. You probably want thicker socks on the lower end of that scale.

Safety

I dropped my bike a few years ago and put the peg at the side of the kickstand through the armoured toe of the boot pinning my foot to the ground with the weight of the bike on top of the foot. It indented but didn't puncture. Over time that indent has pulled back so that there is only a small bump on the inside of the boot. Had I been wearing any other footwear I would have done a lot more damage to my foot - as it was my foot was techicolour, and I broke the toe in a couple of places. I was satisfied with the way the Sidi's protected my foot. As a result of that drop the left boot developed a leak, but it's not a big deal.

Longevity

This is my first pair of Sidis, and they've been everywhere - very well worn. I picked them up in 2009 in my second year of riding, and have put about 80,000 km on them. I completely wore out the sole on the left foot with normal riding. I have put significant wear on the replacement sole as well. If I find another pair on a decent sale I will pick them up as a backup without any hesitation, but I don't have any problem with resoling this pair as they are still in decent condition.

Fit

Sidi actually makes these boots based on a woman's foot mold, rather than resizing a man's boot - although the woman's offer the exact same features as the men's version. One of the few decent boots on offer for women. I really like the calf adjustment which allows the boots to slide under touring pants or to be worn on top of race leathers. In terms of fit remember that Sidi are italian which means a narrower fit (for both men and women) than standard american sizing.

• Member Contributer

I've been riding streetbikes since 1983 and was never an ATGATT guy until I got my VFR last year. I would normally wear cowboy boots or combat boots. When I got the VFR it came with a really nice Teknic armored jacket, so I got matching pants for it and a set of Sidi Fusion boots.

I agree that they are sized too narrow. I was hoping that they would 'break in', but they didn't get any wider. I have over 10,000 miles on them (daily commute), and quite a bit of walking. They are tolerable, but not comfortable for more than an hour or two. Otherwise I love them, so I put up with it.

I didn't have any problems this summer with them feeling too hot, but now my toes get cold on my hour ride to work in the mornings. There is no room in the boot for thick socks or heated insoles, so I may have to go back to my combat boots for the cold weather unless Santa brings me some toasty warm motorcycle boots and drops them under my tree.

The heel provides height and stability when I am at a stop, but doesn't get in the way when I am riding. Much easier than lowering the bike and messing with the geometry.

Olive, thank you for this suggestion. I'm going to get my wife's boots modified this way to help her a bit with her bike.

• Member Contributer

Olive, thank you for this suggestion. I'm going to get my wife's boots modified this way to help her a bit with her bike.

I didn't put that much of a lift on the boots but it makes a huge difference. I can handle the VFR without the taller heels, but find I am significantly more stable when I can flat foot the bike. It's an inexpensive modification that brings more bikes into "reach". The only trick is finding a decent shoemaker - small independent stores in strip malls are your best bet!

• Member Contributer

Thanks to all for the feedback. This forum has some of the most knowledgeable and helpful members I have ever seen. The close call with the drunk driver a couple of weeks ago has made me really re-think my current gear. As the years slowly start to add up I have found that I don't bounce like I used to. I am a firm ATGATT believer and never leave home without it but it is time to upgrade from what I have. I am leaning towards the SIDI Vertigo as I have heard nothing but good about them. The amount of protection offered by these boots are what I am looking for. I hope they are not too narrow as I am sure that the A-stars are good too, I just prefer the SIDI. A pair of Held Steves are on the list with these boots. Eventually the tourmaster suit will be moved to the summer only list as an Aerostich Transit is on my want list also. After reading way too many posts and threads about gear I think this set up would make for the safest list of gear any rider could wear.

I have had one pair of Sidi's in the last 30 years of riding.

I crashed in them last November. A low side at 70mph completely wore through the right side.

It ground through the toe slider, through leather, through the foam and I could see my sock.

My ankle was wrenched around in the boot pretty badly and ripped up a bunch of stuff internally. It still hurts badly when I walk.

The boots were always too narrow. They were OK for riding, but I could not walk in them for any distance.

I can only imagine how bad it would have been if I only had shoes or generic boots on.

I will not be wearing Sidi's again. And hope not to crash like that again.

I am back to Alpinestars.

• Member Contributer

I have had one pair of Sidi's in the last 30 years of riding.

I crashed in them last November. A low side at 70mph completely wore through the right side.

It ground through the toe slider, through leather, through the foam and I could see my sock.

My ankle was wrenched around in the boot pretty badly and ripped up a bunch of stuff internally. It still hurts badly when I walk.

The boots were always too narrow. They were OK for riding, but I could not walk in them for any distance.

I can only imagine how bad it would have been if I only had shoes or generic boots on.

I will not be wearing Sidi's again. And hope not to crash like that again.

I am back to Alpinestars.

Which Sid boot model? If not a full-on race boot, I can't imagine what boot would stand up to such a high speed crash? Sorry you seem to have not healed completely...I am 51 and know that if/when I go down in the future it will leave some lasting discomfort for sure.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I've been using Sidi On Road touring boots for about 2 years now. 100% waterproof and super comfortable once I broke them in, which didn't take very long at all. Good for walking around in while off the bike as well.

They get a little warm getting into the higher temps but not uncomfortably so and still warm enough down to, and slightly below, 0C here in Canada.

http://www.motorama.it/en/sidi-on-road-gore-tex-boots-P5718.htm

post-10932-0-24699100-1362305849.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've had Sidi Vertibra's for a few years, like all race boots they are comfortable but stiff & you have to learn how to put them on. Most have an internal side zip & you can't just put your foot in them, you have to twisting the boot toe out about 45 degrees then slide your toes in & then the rest of the boot slips over your foot as it twists into place. Takes a little learning & is mugs harder with new stiff boots!

The only issues I had have been one zip puller broke off after about 18months & the design of the sole at the toe is poor in that the sole ends & does not form a cup at the toes, so there is a piece of leather than wears as you roll away from a standstill. The newer objects may be better, but the next pair I buy will have a cupped toe ! You live & learn.

The guy that said don't use anything with Velcro is obviously passing comment on CHEAP Velcro or low grip kind used in the wrong places. The Sidi Velcro s practically a pain in the butt it's so grippy!

Race boots are NOT made for walking or standing, they are more like shi boots now. So just wear a pair & check that your toes don't go to sleep etc. Walking in them for any length of time is not recommended & the sole are not designed for foot mileage !

Happy shopping.

Archived