8 spoke rear wheel options

What are my best options for an 8 spoke rear wheel? I really don't want to do any modification if I don't have to. Is a gen 3 a direct fit? What might be a fair price to pay for a gen 3 rear wheel?

They are never cheap as every 3rd gen owner knows that most other gen VFR riders would kill to have them on their bikes.

Cheapest I ever saw them sold at eBay was around $250.00......, and that was a long time ago.

Beck

95 VFR

I don't think its a straight bolt on job to fit 3rd gen wheel to 4th gen - at least its not as easy as 3rd gen to 5th gen/6th gen.

For the 4th gen doesn't some machining of bolts and tyre/tire choice need to be kept in mind?

• Member Contributer

I don't think its a straight bolt on job to fit 3rd gen wheel to 4th gen - at least its not as easy as 3rd gen to 5th gen/6th gen.

For the 4th gen doesn't some machining of bolts and tyre/tire choice need to be kept in mind?

Ruprecht the Monkey Boy says...

Ruprecht%203.JPG

"Oh, really?"

:tongue:

The only machining necessary on VFR wheel swaps is when a later wheel is fitted to an earlier bike (I think!). ISTR seeing a particularly ugly bodge-job on a VFR rear wheel to clear the disc bolts/nuts and it definitely involved a 5th-gen--and considering that I have an 8-spoker on my own Y2k, that ain't it. But I'm sure somebody knows for sure...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Today, 100 Euro got me:

A late 2010 Pilot Road 2 with plenty rubber left

7d0cb985.jpg

an 8 spoker that looked absolutely minging,,,,,,,

43277036.jpg

b5fab7bf.jpg

30 minutes of degreaser and a bit of elbow grease later

6cea1a2d.jpg

now for the bad news and a question.....

From under the muck came a rim that has marks and each of the spokes is looking a bit like....

33daae66.jpg

f47c2c47.jpg

so for the question:

I was planning on having it blacked anyway so what is best here? Powder coat? Paint?

What to do with the current paint damage?

Ok, more than 1 question but your wisdom is appreciated here....

Its toast. Ship it to me and I will take care of it. There, that was easy. If you don't want easy, strip it or have it blasted and then powder coated. Great find. Now get me one....Please.

• Member Contributer

I send the seller these pictures

he apologized, thought the rim was ok so he refunded me 25 euro......

there is a white one on the dutch equivalent of ebay, I know he wants euro 125 for it.

If you can price shipping, I can try and buy it for you...

http://motoren.markt...&fta_ind=2&fs=1

Shipping is going to be big bucks... possibly more than the cost of the rim... or round about the same value... I've just been looking at sending a front rim from Spain to Canadia...

Ruprecht the Monkey Boy says...

Ruprecht%203.JPG

"Oh, really?"

:tongue:

The only machining necessary on VFR wheel swaps is when a later wheel is fitted to an earlier bike (I think!). ISTR seeing a particularly ugly bodge-job on a VFR rear wheel to clear the disc bolts/nuts and it definitely involved a 5th-gen--and considering that I have an 8-spoker on my own Y2k, that ain't it. But I'm sure somebody knows for sure...

Ciao,

I think AB-Oz got the bickies on this one... the 4th genner has some machined notches... If you want to place any other gen's rim on the 4th gen, you'll have to have them machined... 3rd to 5th and 6th is straight bolt on... no mods needed.

The 4th gen rear rim is the lightest (but the ugliest in my opinion)... next comes the 5th/6th gen rim and the heaviest is the 8 spoker... but the difference is negligible.

:ph34r:

• Member Contributer

the 4th genner has some machined notches... If you want to place any other gen's rim on the 4th gen, you'll have to have them machined... 3rd to 5th and 6th is straight bolt on... no mods needed.

That doesn't match my sources.

From what I found here http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/49611-rear-wheelstires-the-end-all-discussion/ , it's possible to run the 3rd gen rim on the 3rd/4th/5th/6th gens with no problem.

[Full disclaimer: I do not have a 3rd gen/8-spoke rim to personally verify that this is so. This is only what I found elsewhere on VFRD.]

Ron

• Member Contributer

The 4th gen rear rim is the lightest (but the ugliest in my opinion)... next comes the 5th/6th gen rim and the heaviest is the 8 spoker... but the difference is negligible.

Hmmm, I actually prefer the 4G over the 5/6G for the 5 spoker. I'd probably have one if it were the proper width. As for weight, I took my 5G and my 3G 8 spoke (which was freshly powder coated) over to the post office and appropriated their scale for determining which was lighter. I don't have the figures in front of me, but I know my 8 spoke (remember, newly powder coated) was half a pound lighter than my original 5 spoke. Just sayin... :beer:

Sorry, I don't know what it takes to fit anything to a 4G...

edit:

Found the link:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70190-couple-of-looks-at-my-newly-powdered-wheels/

(not sure why my gallery pics are gone...)

I send the seller these pictures

he apologized, thought the rim was ok so he refunded me 25 euro......

there is a white one on the dutch equivalent of ebay, I know he wants euro 125 for it.

If you can price shipping, I can try and buy it for you...

http://motoren.markt...&fta_ind=2&fs=1

That doesn't look too bad. I have always lusted after one. I don't know the first thing about shipping but I'll see what I can find out. Thanks for the offer Dutchy.

I thought somebody

Hmmm, I actually prefer the 4G over the 5/6G for the 5 spoker. I'd probably have one if it were the proper width. As for weight, I took my 5G and my 3G 8 spoke (which was freshly powder coated) over to the post office and appropriated their scale for determining which was lighter. I don't have the figures in front of me, but I know my 8 spoke (remember, newly powder coated) was half a pound lighter than my original 5 spoke. Just sayin... :beer:

Sorry, I don't know what it takes to fit anything to a 4G...

edit:

Found the link:

http://www.vfrdiscus...owdered-wheels/

(not sure why my gallery pics are gone...)

Hmmmm...... I thought the 8 spoker was the heaviest one of the bunch when somebody (BLS??) weighed up all the different rear rims from the VFRs....Shouldn't more spokes weigh more??.....unless maybe the five spokes from the 5th gen are quite thick and heavy...... but I guess the scale never lies.

Agree that the 4th gen isn't the prettiest of the bunch the center drum shaped portion of the wheel just looks kinda blah......Does not help too that the 4 lug nut pattern does not match up at all to the location of the 5 spokes. on the wheel.......Odd and even don't mix.....

Beck

95 VFR

i have an 8 spoker on my '90 and my '06 (both white) and i have a 5 spoker laying on my garage floor collecting dust. just figured i'd rub it in a little... :tour:

when i did my research i thought i had read that the 8 spoke was the lightest. i read the 4th gen wheel is 1/2 an inch narrower than the other 2. something to do with the wheel studs on the 4th gens not quite accepting the other wheels without macining the back side of the wheel for clearance. but i am merely spreading internet rumors and myths.

• Member Contributer

It would be the brake disc bolts, I think. Or rather, the nuts. Or I'm nuts--one of those, fer sure!

Ciao,

i have a 180 on my '06 w/ 8 spoker and a 170 on my '90 with an 8 spoker. thats what came stock on both respectively (tire size-wise)

i should have been more clear with my previous post. in order to fit a 3rd, 5th, or 6th gen wheel on to a 4th gen i had read any of those wheels would need to be slightly modified. a 4th gen wheel (or any other gen from 3 on) on the other hand will fit any gen with no work.

• Member Contributer

The gen 5&6 wheels need to be machined when used on the gen 3&4. See the cutouts on your 8 spoke wheel? Thats what needs to be cut into the newer wheels to clear the brake disc bolt ends.

Correct, and the CB1000R also needs machining to make it fit on a 3/4th gen.

It is a service Thurn Motorsport offers...... :fing02:

bdf433df.jpg

ea05a6c6.jpg

The gen 5&6 wheels need to be machined when used on the gen 3&4. See the cutouts on your 8 spoke wheel? Thats what needs to be cut into the newer wheels to clear the brake disc bolt ends.

OK so I was half right... and half wrong... just the 5th/6th gen wheels need to be machined for placement on earlier models

• Member Contributer

OK so I was half right... and half wrong... just the 5th/6th gen wheels need to be machined for placement on earlier models

Apology accepted! :tongue:

Ciao,

Archived