Am I choosing the right tire for me?

marriedman

As I mentioned yesterday, I finally have my VFR and it needs new tires. I have spent most of the day looking around the forum and seeing what people are saying about the tires they have or had that they liked and what applications they were using them for.

My riding time is 80% commuting, 15% "spirited" with tame twisties, and 5% touring. I rode about 5K miles last year and I am also a very conservative rider. I have yet to ever go over 80mph on a motorcycle and I don't remember the last time I did it it a car. I got all of that out of my system when I was younger. On the precious weekends when I don't have to be a husband and father (rare) I like to pick a direction and ride for about 400 miles. And now that I have a bike more capable as a touring bike, I would like to do at least a two day trip.

From what I have read, the Shinko Raven 009 sound to me as the best deal for me. Many posts said they were getting >9K miles on them. They are also on sale right now on jakewilson.com for $182 both tires total. The combo of high mileage treadwear and low price almost seems too good to be true. Is it?

Thanks in advance.

Based on your indicated riding style you will probably get 15000 miles out of PR2s and save yourself a tire change all the while running on the best tires! My 2¢

Based on your indicated riding style you will probably get 15000 miles out of PR2s and save yourself a tire change all the while running on the best tires! My 2¢

Agreed!

Spend another $50-80.00 and Get Pilot Road 2's, and like mentioned you will probably get 3 years out of them based on your riding. No doubt better than the oo9's.

BR

Agreed!

Spend another $50-80.00 and Get Pilot Road 2's, and like mentioned you will probably get 3 years out of them based on your riding. No doubt better than the oo9's.

BR

Your post came up after I posted my second question. If it is a no brainer, then I guess that is what I should go with. Thanks for the info guys.

Agreed!

BR

Your post came up after I posted my second question. If it is a no brainer, then I guess that is what I should go with. Thanks for the info guys.

No worries! Money is money! :rolleyes:

IMO it's worth the extra money, especially as it will basically cover the next 2-4 years of riding providing better wet & dry grip no matter the type of riding your doing and the PR2's dual compound won't wear down in the center during all your commuting miles. :smile:

BR

sorry to hijack thread, if both spirited 50% and touring 50% is the riding style what type of tire would be recommended?

I run a Pilot Power front with a Pilot Road 2 rear because I live in the twisties and the PP front has quicker turn-in which I prefer.

Lots of great tires out there now, but I've yet to find a better Mileage/Grip/Confidence combo for me on my VFR than this combo (PP/PR2) in over forty sets of tires and close to 100k miles on my 02.

BR

• Member Contributer

There is a chance the Shinkos coould work out well for you. There is no doubt the Michelins will. I have never ridden with Shinkos but I have had a few people ride with me that had them on their bikes. These people never kept the pace I did but that may be the riders and not the tire.

What you get with Michelins is consistency, grip and great wear. I hear good and bad about both brands so if you want to satisfy your curiosity then try the lower cost alternative.

For me I invest a great deal of time motorcycling and each mile, hell each corner, is important to me. To ensure the closest-to-perfect experience I can get, every time I ride, I maintain my bike perfectly and I run the best tires I can buy. Michelins go on the bike regularly because in 55 years I have learned two things:

• You usually get what you pay for
  • Nothing has more impact on my enjoyment of motorcycling than the quality and condition of my bike's tires

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Michelins if what you seek is a great time riding your VFR.

• Member Contributer

There is a chance the Shinkos coould work out well for you. There is no doubt the Michelins will. I have never ridden with Shinkos but I have had a few people ride with me that had them on their bikes. These people never kept the pace I did but that may be the riders and not the tire.

What you get with Michelins is consistency, grip and great wear. I hear good and bad about both brands so if you want to satisfy your curiosity then try the lower cost alternative.

For me I invest a great deal of time motorcycling and each mile, hell each corner, is important to me. To ensure the closest-to-perfect experience I can get, every time I ride, I maintain my bike perfectly and I run the best tires I can buy. Michelins go on the bike regularly because in 55 years I have learned two things:

• You usually get what you pay for
  • Nothing has more impact on my enjoyment of motorcycling than the quality and condition of my bike's tires

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Michelins if what you seek is a great time riding your VFR.

+1 Just back from Memphis, Kimball headed to the DRAGON on Sunday, are you in and is anyone else interested.

• Member Contributer

I will probably be there Dave even though there is a chance I make take a run up north of Hot Springs if the weather is right. We should get Billyjackjimbob to lead us around the KY, VA, NC, TN up there.

I'll shoot you a text late Friday or early Saturday.

Was gonna check on you this week if i didn't hear from ya

Kimball

• Member Contributer

I will probably be there Dave even though there is a chance I make take a run up north of Hot Springs if the weather is right. We should get Billyjackjimbob to lead us around the KY, VA, NC, TN up there.

I'll shoot you a text late Friday or early Saturday.

Was gonna check on you this week if i didn't hear from ya

Kimball

10-4

The shinkos are old technology. I believe they are based off of Yokohama MC tires, whom shinko bought out, IIRC.

There's nothing wrong with them, it's just that there is more advancement taking place with the leading MC tire mfgrs like Michelin, Dunlop and Pirelli.

Just wanted to make sure that I am looking at the right tire here:

Front - $115

Rear - $151

Total spend $266

Are those tires $85 better than the Shinko? Not trying to be a smartass, but an honest question.

An example: I really like the Bt21 rear, but it only gets about 50% of the life of the road 2 rear. Fiqure you have to replace two BT21's to equal 1 Proad 2.

a rear BT 21 can be had for about $105, but if you have to buy two to get Proad 2 life , your talking $210 for 2 BT21's compared to a Proad 2 thats only $151. Plus if your not mounting yourself, you'll also have two installation charges verses one.

So overall, its much better to spend that initial cost, cause Proad 2 lasts much longer and it also meets the performance Gate, So I consider it a freak of nature tire.

Now is the Proad 2 better than the skanko? Ive yet to see anything in the sport tour world, that not only can outlive the Proad2, But deliver its performance ability, without a serious reduction in life.

You can take the Gamble and go with $85 less, but if on a budget and want quality perfornance also, Proad 2 Is a WELL PROVEN TIRE.

I know you already made your choice, but one cannot say enough about how good Pilot Road 2s really are. They are some kinda witchcraft or something. AND they are on the cheaper side of premium tyres.

You are supposed to only get 2 sides of the triangle -Grip/Wear/Price.

The PR2 actually delivers all 3.

• Member Contributer

Just to pile on ... my riding percentages are similar to yours, marriedman, but distributed a bit differently: 80 percent touring, 15 percent spirited, 5 percent commuting--and I have topped 80 mph, once or twice :pinocchio: . After much reading here, I went with the PR2s at the beginning of last summer. I put about 2200 touring miles on them, probably one-third slab (I usually have to slab it part of the way to get there or back in time). These are solo, but fully laden miles (factory luggage, duffel across the pillion seat, tank bag, etc.). What an improvement over the Metzelers--and the tires barely look scrubbed in!

• Member Contributer

I just bought a pair of PR2's from Sportbike Track Gear (http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3175) for $258.95. I had ordered them two sundays ago and they shipped out the next day and now they're mounted and I'm ready to roll.

Cheers!

I just bought a pair of PR2's from Sportbike Track Gear (http://stores.sportb...ail.bok?no=3175) for $258.95. I had ordered them two sundays ago and they shipped out the next day and now they're mounted and I'm ready to roll.

Cheers!

Man, thanks for that link! That was $10 cheaper than what I found. That puts the price of these tires at about the same price as my Nighthawk Avon tires.

Tyres these days with any brand you will find it hard to fault any it's just a fact of how far technology with compounds has come over the years & we can thank racing for that advancement. What I will say is the norm question & one that seems personally to me the wrong concept is placing tyre life as the major factor when choosing tyres. Now before people get there noses out of joint yes times are tough & everybody wants the best tyre life possible so there not endlessly spending money on tyres but even modern technology can't overcome the effect on tyre grip levels over time due to heat cycles. Because tyres are a petroleum product every time you ride heat a tyre & let it cool the tyre will lose a very small percentage of grip. Yes depending on the tyre the effect is varied but it is a point to consider when your not hard on tyres & there lasting for a large amount of time which means a major number of heat cycles, we all probably notice the difference to grip levels from a new tyre to a well worn tyre & that is due to the heat cycles.

If I wasn't hard on tyres I would tend to look for a tyre that will last but not to the point that tyre lasts a staggering amount of heat cycles so factoring in the amount of on/off trips you do should be a factor as short runs like commuting for me you don't want a tyre that is going to last the maximum amount of mileage you can because somewhere within that tyres life when you expect a certain grip level to be there it's not going to perform. I for example don't commute & use my bike for fun which means it eats tyres & even with a P2 on the rear I will only average 5000kms, with a PP it is average 2500kms, but there all long trip mileage & when I hear comments about grip levels deteriorating end of tyre life that has never really happened to me due to high wear way I ride & minimum heat cycles before end of tyre life. The one tyre has been recommended in this thread the P2 tends to handle major numbers of heat cycles well I'm only commenting for food for thought, I personally feel fitting a tyre that will last to long can be decreasing safety as we only have 2 wheels with small contact patches & grip level on a motorbike is everything.

• Member Contributer

I just bought a pair of PR2's from Sportbike Track Gear (http://stores.sportb...ail.bok?no=3175) for $258.95. I had ordered them two sundays ago and they shipped out the next day and now they're mounted and I'm ready to roll.

Cheers!

Yep. That's where to go for matching sets (PR2/PR2) or (PP/PP). Jakewilson.com is where to go for the PP/PR2 combo. It might be different next week, so keep an eye out. :tour:

Edit:

LOL! I just received my PP/PR2 combo from JakeWilson yesterday. When I ordered last week, they were cheaper. After posting my comment above, I decided to look at the prices again. Sportbike Track Gear is now about $3 cheaper for the mismatched combo, but JW was about $4 cheaper when I ordered! It's just like buying gas. I swear every single time I need to fill up the truck, the price goes up, and every single time I fill up, the price goes back down....always within 24 hours, and often the same evening. :pissed:

I do agree whit many other here, cheap tires are not the way to go, unless what yo ride is to the cafe on sunny weather at low speed.

I have seen to many cheap out in tires, and the result has been a lowside in wet weather. many make tires that work OK in dry condissions, but only the big brands do tires that work in wet also, and its in the wet that we all need the grip we can get. I did a trip last summer whit few other members from this forum. One was on fresh for the trip PR2, as I was on fresh Conti attac2s. We both had great grip, but as my rear conti was showing wear after the trip, the other members PR2 was still like new! Impressive I think. Sure the best by for all that dont do trackdays regulary I think, or perfer a sharper steering profile.

• Member Contributer

Something that helps make the Michelins an even better value is when you figure in the cost of mounting and balancing; having a tire that lasts longer means you're forking over less cash to get new hoops onto your bike. I think the 15,000 mile estimate is high as I ride about like you do and I got something more like 10 or 11k but they're still a big improvement over something like the stock Dunlop D204 that came on my VFR or the Conti Attack that I killed on a recent road trip.

I think Shinko is actually working on newer designs since the Yokohama stuff they bought is comparatively ancient to today's tire (like the PR3...) but I still don't see the value in a "value" tire.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the tires put on last night. Oh my god, what a difference in what I am used to. Obviously the tires that I had were bad, but these new ones really showcase the handling capabilities of the VFR. My friend was pleased to see that I chose the Pilot 2's as he loves those tires too.

Thanks again everyone for the insight on tires.

• 1 month later...

From what I have read, the Shinko Raven 009 sound to me as the best deal for me. Many posts said they were getting >9K miles on them. They are also on sale right now on jakewilson.com for $182 both tires total. The combo of high mileage treadwear and low price almost seems too good to be true. Is it?

I know you've already gotten tires, but for future reference...

The Shinko 009s are available right now from Chapparal for $165 for a set (shipped). It is not too good to be true. I'm about to replace my second set. The first set went about 9500 miles (IIRC) and this set lasted about 9300. In both cases I could have gotten away with swapping just the rear as the front had a fair bit of life left in it, but for $165-ish I might as well do both at the same time.

Archived