Am I choosing the right tire for me?

marriedman

I know no one looks in the bargain section...

I can save you 20.00 off a set of tires through the end of the year shipped directly from JakeWilson.com

• Member Contributer

I have about 6K miles on my set of PR2's right now and you can just now notice a little flat wear in the middle. I am confident that they will make the 12 - 15K mile mark with no problem. Oh, and the bike handles way better than I can push it.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Regular Pilot Power front (if you can still find some), and Pilot Road 2 rear. Do not bother with Pilot Power 2 CT...they suck.

Conti SportAttack will wear just as fast as any sport tire like Q2's, PP, etc.

You can get away with a sticky tire on the front (PP) and replace it about the same time as the PR2 wears out on the rear for most folks.

I am in the minority but I have enjoyed my BT021 tires. Mileage on tires between locales can vary as in Texas they use a lot of cement for the roads and this does a number on tire life!

Regular Pilot Power front (if you can still find some), and Pilot Road 2 rear. Do not bother with Pilot Power 2 CT...they suck.

You can get away with a sticky tire on the front (PP) and replace it about the same time as the PR2 wears out on the rear for most folks.

Care to share why PP2CT "suck"?

I don't think I can get the PP/PR2 mixed combo so easily these days. Both are previous-generation tires, and leftovers are usually going in sets.

Yeah you can still get that combo online, no problemo . Dual compound fronts are okay, if you can wear them evenly, but they can have a tendancy to have accelerated wear on the sides , then you get real funky handling, if they dont wear evenly.

• Member Contributer

Care to share why PP2CT "suck"?

I don't think I can get the PP/PR2 mixed combo so easily these days. Both are previous-generation tires, and leftovers are usually going in sets.

Yeah you can still get that combo online, no problemo . Dual compound fronts are okay, if you can wear them evenly, but they can have a tendancy to have accelerated wear on the sides , then you get real funky handling, if they dont wear evenly.

That was my experience when I tried the PP2CT...lots of cupping and uneven wear on the front. Never had that problem with PP or PR2.

• Member Contributer

I run PP2CTs and have never had a problem with them other than I only get 5K out of a set of tires and that down to the wear bars. On all my other bikes, front wheel tire cupping has been suspension related. Usually because the front is under sprung and under damped. Cupping has gone went away when I fixed the suspension.

This has been my experience - yours may be different

• Member Contributer

Metzler for me, the Roadtec Z8 will be my next set. I had Z6 on my previous bike and they are incredible durable and they always make me feel like "I'm the boss!".

I had Michelin before and sorry, they are no way near as good as Metzler.

Metzler is not expensive and they are simply good. German quality :tour:

• Member Contributer

I run PP2CTs and have never had a problem with them other than I only get 5K out of a set of tires and that down to the wear bars. On all my other bikes, front wheel tire cupping has been suspension related. Usually because the front is under sprung and under damped. Cupping has gone went away when I fixed the suspension.

This has been my experience - yours may be different

Well that is completely possible as I am 185-190 lbs with gear. I am going to have Jamie Dougherty re-spring and re-valve my forks this winter and do the same to the rear with a new shock. IIRC when I ran the PP2CT's a few years ago, we were doing quite a bit of spirited two-up riding on the VFR, so suspension was way overloaded, and I remember front end wallowing under braking/cornering especially downhillers.

P.S. Is your wife still enjoying her Ninja 1000 and how has reliability been? Any problems?

Metzler for me, the Roadtec Z8 will be my next set. I had Z6 on my previous bike and they are incredible durable and they always make me feel like "I'm the boss!".

I had Michelin before and sorry, they are no way near as good as Metzler.

Metzler is not expensive and they are simply good. German quality :tour:

I ran z6's many years ago, they are okay, but ppwer front and Road 2 rear, is alot better traction wise. Metzeler isnt worth the money, and the rears get 20% less life than the road 2 rears. The only reason I still run sport tours at all, is the road 2's life and performance.

Archived