The Only Bullfight on U.S. Soil

Guest sfarson

Guest sfarson

vfr800victor_hdr.jpg

In the late 1800's the town of Gillett sprung to life a few miles north of the mining communities of Cripple Creek and Victor, Colorado. But rather than minerals, Gillett is mostly famed for moments, an event of August 1895... the only bullfight ever to take place on U.S. soil. The event was highly publicicized. Celebrities from afar traveled for the first-ever event. Bullfighters and bulls were imported for the event from Mexico. A bullfighting ring was constructed. And it ended... with a near riot. Some believe the bulls were tired from the travel. I guess they didn't put up much of fight, and that's what the spectators wanted. The meat was donated locally which appeased some of the locals. Nevertheless, never has there been a bullfight in the U.S. before, and since.

Here's the bullfight ring constructed for the event...

gillettbullthen.jpg

An empty meadow today...

gillettbullnow.jpg

The action in the ring...

gillettbullthen1.jpg

gillettbullthen2.jpg

Now this actually was quite a sizeable town 120 years ago...

gillettstreetthen.jpg

Hardy residents called Gillett at 10,000ft. elevation home. Seemingly every time I pass through on a bike I am chilled. The barbed wire fence here, and behind me prevented a slightly better "now" perspective...

gillettstreetnow.jpg

So what has happened to this ghost town? Things were in decay the early 1900's, but the coup de grace came in June 1965 when most of the ghost town structures were swept away after a heavy rain overwhelmed a small earthen dam reservoir that supplied water to the residents long ago. Here's the Catholic Church out in the suburbs of Gillett back in the 1940's...

gillettchurchthen.jpg

Following the flood 47 years ago. Didn't want to disregard the "no tresspassing" sign, nor risk sensitive body parts to the barbs!, so from a distance. Some rocks of the church remain...

gillettchurchnow.jpg

Well, a few miles later, did have to take a pic of the bike coming along for the exploration...

woof. the photo of the 5th gen is one of the best I have ever seen. Looks like a backdrop was rolled down behind the bike in a studio, like it was too good to be true. Man, that is a COVER calendar pic.

• Member Contributer

the only bullfight ever to take place on U.S. soil.

You obviously didn't see me load my stubborn idiot bull to sell last fall. I tenderised his sorry a$$ while still on the hoof. :pissed:

BTW, I love your "then and now" pictorials. :fing02:

You'd think they could have used some local bulls........... :idea3:

Great pictures and history as well....... always look forward to your postings.

Hey thanks all. Was putting the cam away when I noticed the sun through the clouds was lighting up the backdrop like a spotlight while keeping the bike "unlit". Groaned and took the camera out of the case, walked back and snapped the pic.

HS, been taking group rides to the spot for years. Ahhh... Josey Wales. Remember the old STN group rides? I wonder how many times I blissfully rode through the old Gillett townsite unaware of the past there. Seemingly, the sun routinely cooperates here at this photo stop...

stnvictor.jpg

BTW, County 83 from the sign above is now closed, replaced with a new and paved County 82 rising high above Victor/Cripple Creek. Great views of the Sangre de Cristos on the west end. It was finished last October and is part of the official Gold Camp Loop. From a vid screen capture...

teller82.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very cool history, if they had included motorcylces in history I would have paid more attention!

• Member Contributer

Amazing pics as always, really like the then vs. now. You see what looks like a pristine landscape you assume has been that way for a very long time, then an old pic shows you how much the earth can erase evidence of our existence in a pretty short geological time.

That bike shot looks like a painting, definitely needs to be in the calendar. :fing02:

A great suggestion, but have a fam day planned for Memorial Day. But let's connect some time this season. Saw Bill the other day. Do you still tend to have Monday's off?

• Member Contributer

Well, a few miles later, did have to take a pic of the bike coming along for the exploration...

vfr800victor_hdr.jpg

Thats an awesome picture

• Forum CEO

Steve Mondays for sure, I have all those off - this one is not a good idea though, too many harleys and police out this weekend. Tomorrow ~ Tuesday I am gonna go hit the top of Mt Evans if you have a few hours to kill in your retirement? I know retired for you just means more things to do! I ended up riding the petal bike up to Manitou springs today, I want to hit all those tight twisties on the way, ute pass, 67, deckers, pine to pine junction, that great road you showed me black mountain road, maybe even Kings mountain? little cub creek, parmalee - yea all that stuff!

Steve Mondays for sure, I have all those off - this one is not a good idea though, too many harleys and police out this weekend. Tomorrow ~ Tuesday I am gonna go hit the top of Mt Evans if you have a few hours to kill in your retirement? I know retired for you just means more things to do! I ended up riding the petal bike up to Manitou springs today, I want to hit all those tight twisties on the way, ute pass, 67, deckers, pine to pine junction, that great road you showed me black mountain road, maybe even Kings mountain? little cub creek, parmalee - yea all that stuff!

HS... I used to have a commitment every Monday but things are now shuffled around a bit so some Mondays are free. Will keep you posted. BTW, Saw Bill at a Bailey restaurant with his wife (and a new (previously owned) bike) a few weeks ago. Perhaps there will be a Monday where he can shake free as well.

Steve

I love riding to and through historical sites. Your writeups always get me thinking about where I should set my next one. Thanks for sharing.

Majord... The camera is a Canon SX 260 HS. A very good point and shoot. I ride/travel light and like having a camera that fits in the jacket pocket. A previous incarnation of this line, the Canon SX 200 IS was the workhorse for most of the book's chapters, and I came away so impressed, I bought one of its descendents, the 260 HS. Lately I've been working with the Droid phone's camera. As long as one doesn't need to zoom, and the lighting is decent, it has some potential. Always having the cam with you via the phone... now that is worth at least some experimenting! A recent Droid test...

vfr800brook_tm.jpg

Archived