Couple of looks at my newly powdered wheels

KevCarver

• Member Contributer

I finally decided to take my 8 spoke rear wheel to the powder coater. Had no clear path in mind for the color, but a couple ideas. After some talking he dug out this "Rubbed Bronze" color. It has some gold metal flake in it to catch the sunlight. I thought it may have come out a bit brighter, but this is fine. Pretty subtle.

Staintune high mount was put on a few years ago. Thurn Clear LED tail light was put on last year.

8 spoke "Rubbed Bronze"

Closeup 8 Spoke

I picked up an SP1 6 spoke front to go with the 8 spoke rear. Actually I had matching 5 spokes front and rear, but really wanted to use the 8 and return the 5 spoke SP2 wheel to my RC51.

SP1 Front

EBC rotors and Thurn clear signals were part of last years work. Brand new Tyga carbon fiber RC51 fender is beautiful! SP1 forks were put on last year, but just rebuilt and re-valved by Jamie Daugherty.

Front close

I had a pretty beat up gas tank on there that I finally replaced with a really good used on. Also replaced the poorly painted original gas cap with a proper stocker. I found a cheap ebay "Double Bubble" type dark tinted windscreen from "Timmy6666" in Hong Kong. Seems pretty good.

Cleaned up the calipers and put in new pads on the front.

I had thought about getting a load of new fasteners for the front end. I had to have some more rotor bolts and several others on the front were getting ugly, so I was thinking about Stainless or Ti for corrosion resistance. SS got expensive pretty quickly, and Ti was crazy! Ended up just setting for new OEM rotor bolts.

Not sure about the paint. I think I'll just pick up a new fairing piece here and there. Only need the tail. And the side fairings. And the front upper.

I had Dzus 1/4 turn D-ring fasteners on the sides for a while. I also decided to modify the front bolts between the black V-cowl and the sides to accept button head Dzus 1/4 turns. Also got the bottom connection between the side fairings fastened by 1/4 turn D-rings.

Now the only fasteners needed for side fairing removal that are still threaded are the 4 (2 each side) big headed shoulder bolts at the bottom and rear. I thought I had a plan to replace the rear ones with RC51 1/4 turn mounts, but the angles and lengths weren't cose enough to match up to the VFR fairings.

Still have the push button quick release option that Miguel came up with a few years back. Might try that out one of these days...

• Member Contributer

Loving the color on the wheels. Well done motorbike I will say. Why does everyone worry about matching front and rear wheels? It's not like you can really see the front that well with the rotors. Oh well I just was thinking out loud.

• Member Contributer

They look great! I'm trying to envision that wheel color on my bike. I hope that isn't the same plugged tire from October :ohmy:

• Member Contributer

They look great! I'm trying to envision that wheel color on my bike. I hope that isn't the same plugged tire from October :ohmy:

Yep, same tire. I was ready to toss it out, but I can't decide what tire to get. PR3 or Power? Plug number 3 went in Sunday.

• Member Contributer

Somehow the front wheel pics went away. They were uploaded during "the troubles" on Monday. They were there when I originally posted this thread, but disappeared later on. Hate to deprive anyone of my sexy carbon fiber fender!

• Member Contributer

Very nice set of wheels.. Now about those lug nuts on the back.. If they were the same red as the bike, or a bright gold then at speed you would have a circle of color to accent those sharp wheels.. Just a thought...

Well done

• Member Contributer

Very nice set of wheels.. Now about those lug nuts on the back.. If they were the same red as the bike, or a bright gold then at speed you would have a circle of color to accent those sharp wheels.. Just a thought...

Well done

Yeah, I've been looking around a little. I really wanted to find Ti lug nuts, but they are all the wrong seat type. I know that a couple here (including Veefer800Canuck) got some black steel ball seat. I might go over to the Honda car dealer down the road from me to see what they have one of these days. (Red won't be happening, though! :tongue: )

By the way, after the wheels came back I ran them over to the Post Office across the street and weighed them:

VFR 5 spoke - 13# 4.6oz

VFR 8 Spoke - 12# 11.8 oz

Both had Bridgeport valve stems, which are claimed to be just under half an ounce. Actually now that I think about it, neither had any stems.

5 spoke was factory finish, 8 spoke was newly PC'ed

• Member Contributer

Between the Carbon Fiber front fender and the 8 spoke, I've removed a full pound of unsprung weight evenly distributed. Not that it was my goal, but it can't hurt! :cool:

• 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Stock headlight lens, must be a trick of the phone camera.

Originally I was aiming for RWB paint, so that's why I went with clear tail and signals. Would have preferred smoked with the standard red, or another paint idea I have floating around in my head...

• Member Contributer

Great choice on the wheel color. They almost look magnesium. Def gives me some ideas. I was thinking gold also, but this is an interesting idea that I really like. Congrats!!!

Archived