Who changes their own tires? (6th Gen)

crazybrother

• Member Contributer

Who changes their own tires, and what do you use? Also do you balance your tires too? And what do you use for that?

I just put on a new set of Dunlop Roadsmarts, the last set lasted about 8000 miles and almost a year. It's now costing $20 each (that's if you buy them from Cycle Gear) if not then it's $30 each. Ouch, i'm getting tired of paying someone else to do this, I can change my own Dirt Bike tires, so I figure that I can do these too! But they are a little more involved than a DirtBike tire. Any advice would be great too :idea3:

• Member Contributer

I do.

Required:

Bead breaker=front left tire of my cage

Two spoons from Motion Pro (including the curvy one)

Two rim savers from Motion Pro

Mark Parnes balanser + two buckets and some stick-on weights.

Optional.

Liquor and music of your choice.

Time required: Depends on amount of liquor, but budget an hour on average.

I use the HF tire changer with motorcycle attachment to hold the rim and break the bead. I use the MojoLever http://home.comcast.net/~prestondrake/mojoweb.htm to remove and reinstall the tire. I use the MarcParnes balancer to static balance them.

Cost me a bit to get everything, but I have done enough to about break even, and I haven't done many for friends etc.

4526934285_6352488f4c_z.jpg

I use the Harbor Freight changer with a home built trailer hitch mount. I balance with a balancer made out of 80/20 with washed out bearings, it can detect a strip of ¾" masking tape 1" long. Self made shafting and cones.

• Member Contributer

I use the HF tire changer with motorcycle attachment to hold the rim and break the bead. I use the MojoLever http://home.comcast....ake/mojoweb.htm to remove and reinstall the tire. I use the MarcParnes balancer to static balance them.

Cost me a bit to get everything, but I have done enough to about break even, and I haven't done many for friends etc.

+1 I have the same set up .......

Not gonna lie, I use a vise to break the bead, a couple of tire spoons, some dishwashing detergent and water in a spray jug, couple of plastic rim protectors, and 3 or 4 cut up 2x6's to keep it off the floor. Oh, and a rubber mallet.

Spoons and rim protectors cost me around 20 bucks or so. Done several this way. Took me a few to figure out the tricks but once you do, it's easy as pie.

I balance on a pair of leveled jack stands using the axle itself and stick on weights.

• Member Contributer

Yep, can't beat the NoMar changer, got it two years ago.... a little ad on craigslist, and it paid for itself, plus a few $$thousand extra bux for beer!!! :beer:

No-mar pro jr. I did it for years with spoons and on the floor..... NO more.

I also have a Marc Parnes balancer and use cinder blocks to support it....works great!

• Member Contributer

I do my own (and some for friends) with a no-mar. works great. Already paid for itself a few times over. Don't even bother to balance anymore since I started running michelins, never had one shake yet. No strange wear patterns either. My local dealer rejected my inspection in July because the rear tire was too close, his jaw dropped when I showed up an hour and a half later with two new tires on. Guess he didn't believe i could do them at home. It also helps to buy when the tires are on sale and have at least one set in stock, saves $$$.

• Member Contributer

I've got a steel 35 gallon open drum for a stand. 2 spoons, HF bead breaker and balancer w/ssa adapter. Rim protectors and an air compressor. Honestly $20 aint bad for a mt. and bal. I have a spare bead breaker and a couple of rim protectors I can spare. PM me If you are going down this road. It's very easy to change tires on the vfr rims. Rear tire goes on w/o tools if you know the secrets. Especially the Michelins.

• Member Contributer

My neighbor Mikiel (the Ducati track junky) has the HF tire machine, No-Mar bars/balancer, various spoons, and a set of tire warmers. He'll help me change my tires while I drink his beer. Cheap, easy, and fun!

The warmers are great. By the time we're done with the first beer the old tires are so soft they practically fall off the wheels. Another beer, and you can almost mount the new ones bare-handed.

Didi I mention the beer? :beer:

Isn't the Cycle Hill changer an offshoot of No MAr? If I recall - its a pretty decent deal.

Nonetheless - I change my tires, and some friends tires using my NO MAr Pro Jr. Balancing done using a setup with a close resemblance to a MArc PArnes balancer. It helps to have good friends that can turn metal on their lathe!!

WHere I live isn't exactly a motorcycle shop metropolis. HAving the changer allows me the freedom to change out tires when I want or need - without having to drive a set of rims in the trunk of my car 45 mins or more - only to then have to pay a ton for removal and reinstall of tires I bring.

I buy tires when I see them on sale and ship them in. Its just SO convenient to have the ability to change tire when I want to.

• Member Contributer

I think, that I may go the Cycle Hill route. I have three other guy's that are interested in sharing the cost with me, so $500.00 may be the best route. I will leave it at my house, that way it will always be available to me and the wife will buy into $125.00 each vs.$500.00. I was thinking about the HF unit until I read some reviews on how cheap it is made and the lack of accessories & replacement parts.

Guys,

I'm a NoMar guy as well, got it and a H/F balancer w/ their adapter for the VFR rear wheel. Works great! With what I paid for it and the tires I have changed out its paid for itself 2xs over.... let the local stealer suck air.....

• Member Contributer

Thanks guy's for all the ideas. I have a Harbor Freight right here in town. How much was that Cycle Hill changer with the balancer?

Don't remember how much I paid, I'm pretty sure the balancer was part of a package. I did screwed up by not getting the larger cone adaptor for the rear wheel as part of a package and had to order it separtately.

• Member Contributer

I used to have the use of a Nomar for free but after moving to East TN this summer I found myself in need of a changer. So I bought the following (all prices include shipping):

1 Cycle hill changer (basic kit without balancer but with a class 3 hitch mount): $598

1 Mark Parnes balancer with VFR SSS cone: $101

1 twin stack Ingersoll Rand compressor: $266

100 wheel weights (included with the Cycle Hill order)

At about a grand it was not cheap but I have a fantastic system that takes up zilch room in the garage and I can throw it all in the pick-up and change tires anywhere. That way you drink other people's beer you see :beer: . The MP balancer was a money saver becase it includes a mac daddy custom fit cone for the rear wheel in the cost of the balancer instead of having to pay extra with a standard balancer.

Since buying the setup I have put 4 rears and 3 fronts on the VFR and 1 each on the Girl's Versys and a rear tire on the Tmax. They were getting $35 a tire at the closest shop so I have saved $350 for a total investment of $615 so far and I have no marks on my rims...none. The single best feature, next to the fact it takes up almost no room is that I can change tires anytime I like. I came in Saturday after a 250 mile spin and threw my 016's in the sun and an hour and a half later I had new tires on the VFR.

KEB

• Member Contributer

Another vote for Cycle Hill and Marc Parnes here. I think Cycle Hill was running a special when i got mine, but I can't remember what it was -- free No Mar bar, or free shipping, or something.

Anyway, it's a nice piece of equipment and the Marc Parnes balancer is simply beautiful. Both really will pay for themselves -- drinking your buddies' beer is just a bonus.

Archived