Fraking textile pant zippers

timmythecop

Do the manufacturing hundred pound heads ever actually wear their own products? I have more riding gear than some of you have had hot dinners, and EVERY pair of textile pants drives me crazy. The lower leg zippers always get caught in the lining. With the exception of Aerostich, I have or still own everything from junk to Rev'It and they all get stuck, leaving you looking and feeling like a fool. Is it me? Am I zipper challenged? Is there a support group? I would pay 100 extra bucks for some pants with gaurenteed snag free zippers. ( can you tell the temps dropped 30 degrees last night?)

• Member Contributer

I feel your pain. I finally just decided to leave the ankle zippers on my Fieldsheer pants zipped all the time. I just put my pants on before my boots and all is good.

Timmy,

Yes, I feel your pain as I've been similarly frustrated with snagging while manipulating a variety of riding-gear zippers over the years. Also, although Aerostitch uses superior-quality zippers compared to those installed in some less-expensive gear produced by other manufacturers, in my experience "stitch" gear is not immue to these issues either.

I owned a Darian suit for ~16 years until I lost weight a few years ago and finally decided to sell the suit this year. Although this was without a doubt the best engineered, well-constructed (and most expensive) riding gear I've owned to-date, I still had problems with zippers snagging-especially those down the side of the pants' legs. However, as the suit wore I eventually had problems with at least one zipper in the jacket after some of the stitching started to unravel.

I've also had similar frustrations with zippers on my riding boots (Fieldsheer and Oxtar). When I can remember to just take it slow and pull out on the zipper's tabs while simultaneously pressing in w/my finger on the material inside of the zipper, I have fewer problems with snagging. However, even so I have yet to discover a fool-proof solution for avoiding these issues.

Looks like nice weather for the weekend. Anyone planning to ride toward the mountains of VA or W.VA?

Carey

Note: I'm in central VA near Richmond

• Member Contributer

In some cases I've found a third finger technique can really help.

Index finger and thumb on the zipper pull and middle finger inside the ??? pocket etc to cover the back of the zipper, keeping most of the loose fabric away from being entrained in the mechanism. Obviously this only works in some situations but has helped to reduce frustration.

BC

• Member Contributer

In some cases I've found a third finger technique can really help.

Index finger and thumb on the zipper pull and middle finger inside the ??? pocket etc to cover the back of the zipper, keeping most of the loose fabric away from being entrained in the mechanism. Obviously this only works in some situations but has helped to reduce frustration.

BC

+1 to that technique. I have a pair of Scorpions that don't ever seem snag and the zipper goes all the way up the side...you might try that brand.

BCmcrider.........Took the words from me ..... Keep a finger under the puller either hand or both..... About the only way they can make them snag free is to run a liner stitch about a finger width away, which in most cases they can't or won't do, because it going to show a stitch line, or the space isn't enough to allow for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I've had nothing but trouble and frusrtration with boot zippers. Finally bought a pair without any zipper. I'm a lot calmer now.

• 2 weeks later...

My Moto GP overpants have great zippers...only problem is the legs are a bit narrow for my boots to fit under so it's a bit hard to get them closed. The other problem is I stored them in the garage and they shrank! Now I can't get them on over pants anymore...which doesn't make them overpants....

Currently looking for overpants that are generous in the thigh fit, because I have generous thighs!

• Member Contributer

My Moto GP overpants have great zippers...only problem is the legs are a bit narrow for my boots to fit under so it's a bit hard to get them closed. The other problem is I stored them in the garage and they shrank! Now I can't get them on over pants anymore...which doesn't make them overpants....

Currently looking for overpants that are generous in the thigh fit, because I have generous thighs!

Are you sure the pants shrank??? LOL!

Archived