Baileyrocks Combo - heads up if you're switching

KanadianKen

Mr. Baileyrock has been using the Pilot Power front with a PR2 Rear - with great success.

I figured that I'd try that combo myself - and hopefully get a little more mileage out of my rear tire.

Today - I learned about one difference between the Power and the PR2 rear - profile...............

Greg and I went for a short ride - and we actually found a few curves in southern Ontario - Snake Road in Burlington/Hamilton/Waterdown - whatever the city is. On the first right hander - I realized that something different was at hand. My bike that has had nothing but Pilot Powers on it for the last 3 years or more - didn't lean like it used to - whats the deal? Why was I flying across the centre line when the input I usually give is the same but the bike isn't turning..........Luckily that brainfart didn't end in a mess and I carried on.

Anyway - after we rode that area a couple times we headed back to Gregs place - I was mind screwing myself the whole way back - what did I do wrong with the tire change? Was the front caliper dragging - were the tires underinflated - what the FFFF!?

Greg got a good laugh when I told him what I was experiencing - and then he let me off the hook. The PR2 rear is more mushroom shaped - and the Power is more V shaped. I was used to my "V" shape and needed to get used to the new profile.

SO - long story short - for anyone about to try the Baileyrock combo - be aware that your bike will handle a little different than it used to. I'll be ordering a new Pilot Power for my spare rim - and it'll get used at the Catskills ride, and for any of my trips to the North Carolina area. Profile changes your ride!

Yeah

The road2 is a slower turning tire than P power , But its more than double life.

If it really bugs you try Ppower front with BT21 rear, I luv that package for tight corners, have a blast every time, cause its quick, and the BT21 gets alittle longer life than a PPower rear.

The road2, powerfront, I run stricly from a peformance to maximum life, it works well, granted I dont enjoy it like the excilleration of the ppwer/bt21 combo , but you know, they both work, just different.

• Member Contributer

Wow...look at you complaining about input and lean angle and different feel to the bike in the corners...you some kind of racerboy or something?

Show off... :laughing6-hehe:

Wow...look at you complaining about input and lean angle and different feel to the bike in the corners...you some kind of racerboy or something?

Show off... :laughing6-hehe:

Hey Larry - you haven't ridden with me in awhile bro - things have changed. I'm slower than I've ever been and when I make changes to the bike that make me even SLOWER - I'm not happy! Riding in NC/TN/GA does quickly sharpen you up - or wad you up and I was just used to the pathetic "rythym" I had with the Powers front and rear. Even us slow one bike owning guys need all the help we can get!!

:)

• Member Contributer

Thanks Ken! I've been kicking around the BR combo idea myself, but I'm so used to Powers front and rear I was afraid to try. Now I know I can save $20 and keep the same feel.

Thanks Ken! I've been kicking around the BR combo idea myself, but I'm so used to Powers front and rear I was afraid to try. Now I know I can save $20 and keep the same feel.

yeah - to be honest - if I'd known or thought to check before I bought it - I'd have stuck to the Power Rear. Oh well - if I find one of our members needs this rear tire - I'd be willing to make a deal on it. In the meantime, I'll be ordering up a new rear Pilot Power to have for those "more fun" occasions!

It is strange you found the PR2 made such a difference to your tip in feel when you still had the PP front, I use the PP front, PR2 rear combo & have for a while on the VFR & even use that combo at track days & barely notice the rear causing a major effect on tip in & before the PR2 used PP rear. The profile is a bit different but your only talking a deg or two, I hate the PR2 front that makes a major difference. The feel for grip is a little different PR2 but they slide & spin up with great feed back, if you have a ride height adjustable shock just increase ride height say 3-5mm which will return the sharpness you feel you have lost with the PR2 rear (1mm extra length shock is aprox 3.4mm extra ride height vfr).

• Member Contributer

I ran a track day on PR3s and I really had to fight the lean angle. To the point where it just did not feel right. So yes be aware of the difference. When I did have the VFR I did the PP front PR2 rear and at first it was weird but the tires do ride better together as you wear them down. Just the first 500miles is a bit strange.

• Member Contributer

You have to remember that the PR2/3 is a ROAD tire. It will never steer as quick as a sport or track tire. I like them just need a bit more input in the bars.

Just fitted some Metzeler M5's this time. Seem fine so far but not scrubbed in yet.

• Member Contributer

I ran a track day on PR3s and I really had to fight the lean angle. To the point where it just did not feel right. So yes be aware of the difference. When I did have the VFR I did the PP front PR2 rear and at first it was weird but the tires do ride better together as you wear them down. Just the first 500miles is a bit strange.

My last PP/PR2 set was the 3rd with this combo and it felt very different the 1st couple hundred miles or so, very squirrelly. But it's calmed down now and seems to be back to normal. It doesn't turn as quick as the PP original combo but with all the commuting I do I need the PR2 on the rear.

It is strange you found the PR2 made such a difference to your tip in feel when you still had the PP front, I use the PP front, PR2 rear combo & have for a while on the VFR & even use that combo at track days & barely notice the rear causing a major effect on tip in & before the PR2 used PP rear. The profile is a bit different but your only talking a deg or two, I hate the PR2 front that makes a major difference. The feel for grip is a little different PR2 but they slide & spin up with great feed back, if you have a ride height adjustable shock just increase ride height say 3-5mm which will return the sharpness you feel you have lost with the PR2 rear (1mm extra length shock is aprox 3.4mm extra ride height vfr).

Good advice - re: upping my ride height. Makes sense.

Can't tell you other than what I felt after riding through some decent twisties (albeit they were limited in quantity.....) was what I felt - I thought something was wrong with the bike. MAybe my old brain doesn't learn new things too well and it really missed the Powers front and rear combo?

Anyways - not a huge deal - I just wanted to share my experience with anyone that does this combo - just be aware that you might feel some different tendencies in how your bike tips into a turn. I blew a turn and crossed the double yellow this am - and if a car was in that oncoming lane - I wouldnt be sharing this info...... :)

• Member Contributer

Right there with ya, Ken. BR looked at me like I was an idiot when I first mentioned it to him.(OK, so maybe I am) Adding rear ride height helped me but as the PP front wore past the halfway mark handling got really weird. Now I just run a full set of one or the other. I've actually found that Dunlop Roadsmarts and even the Shinko Verge have much better turn in than the PR2's. All depends on what type of riding you plan to do. If I lived in twisty mecca(TN, NC, GA) and didn't take trips longer than 2k miles, I'd run Powers and never look back cause they just "feel" better.

• 4 weeks later...

So is the feel of the Power front/Road rear combo similar to having a Diablo front/Strada rear like I have? After my road trip last week, my rear is totally shot, and I was actually considering exactly the Power/Road combo. My bike had the factory Dunlops when I got it, and these Pirellis have been my only tires other than the Dunlops. I like the feel of the Pirellis (at least...I like them vastly more than the Dunlops), so I don't want to go to something that's gonna feel like steering a marshmallow.

:blink:

yeah - to be honest - if I'd known or thought to check before I bought it - I'd have stuck to the Power Rear. Oh well - if I find one of our members needs this rear tire - I'd be willing to make a deal on it. In the meantime, I'll be ordering up a new rear Pilot Power to have for those "more fun" occasions!

Sounds like your pushing it a little! :goofy:

Really shouldn't be a huge difference from a PP set to PP/PR2, sure not as quick bu the PP front helps a bunch.

Should have see me on my first Full set or PR2's after 30,000 miles of rippen on PP's! :blink:

I was missing lines/turn-ins, running across yellow lines because I was so use to the Quick Turn-in of PP's! Took a full day of adjusting or-Sure!

But once I dialed into them I ripped as fast as I ever have with Jeremy chasing me. :goofy:

I HAVE SO MANY MILES ON PP'S THAT I NEEDED TO GO BACK TO AT LEAST A PP FRONT.

btw PR2's turn-in much quicker than any OEM tire on a viffer.

Over the past 5+ years I have been running a Metzler M3 on the front and Z6 on the rear. I did try a Conti combo with an Attack on the front and the Road on the rear. I like how they wear at the same rate and the security of having a stickier front. Profile issues were not a problem. I have been considering either a Dunlop Sportmax/Roadsmart combo or Michelin Power/Road combo to try something new.

:blink:

Sounds like your pushing it a little! :goofy:

Really shouldn't be a huge difference from a PP set to PP/PR2, sure not as quick bu the PP front helps a bunch.

Should have see me on my first Full set or PR2's after 30,000 miles of rippen on PP's! :blink:

I was missing lines/turn-ins, running across yellow lines because I was so use to the Quick Turn-in of PP's! Took a full day of adjusting or-Sure!

But once I dialed into them I ripped as fast as I ever have with Jeremy chasing me. :goofy:

I HAVE SO MANY MILES ON PP'S THAT I NEEDED TO GO BACK TO AT LEAST A PP FRONT.

btw PR2's turn-in much quicker than any OEM tire on a viffer.

Kev - if YOU were blowing lines when you switched to the PR2 Rear - then I feel a lot better. I've never done a track day and am slow as it gets - so when I blew that one double yellow the morning of the new PR2 Rear - I could still be dead - but I feel a little less idiotic. My new PP is here - once I get the 8 spoker blasted and repowder coated - its getting a new donut!

I'm getting used to the PR2 now - but I still much prefer the PP.

Hmmmm, just wondering which Snake Road turn in particular....... close to the Bruce trail perhaps? If you saw traces of 'human excrement', then I'd know that one intimately. I bailed the brakes cause I was way over the yellow and blind, it stood straight up and crossed the road and just when it was ALMOST stopped, it proceeded to slowly slide into the ditch... :blush::pissed:

First I had PP front and rear; next set, I had PR2 front and rear. If anything, I felt the slow turn in right away. I don't mind the rear, I feel like I can 'drift ' it a little exiting no problem.

Once you get into the turn, it feels good, but getting there is the reason I'd go PP up front next time. I'll try playing with the rear setting too, since I have an all adjustable Elka on it.

Greg :fing02:

I'm getting used to the PR2 now - but I still much prefer the PP.

You Kanadians Just Can't Ride! :laughing6-hehe:

I too prefer PP's, but I don't prefer spending twice as much on tires every year so it's the PP/PR2 combo and I can ride just as quick on them for twice as long! :fing02:

BR

• Member Contributer

Just bring it too T-MAC next year but leave the dinosaur teeth in Canada ....

Remember the flat tire you had at T-MAC 2010. Looked just like a dino tooth..

cheerleader.gifcheerleader.gifcheerleader.gifcheerleader.gifcheerleader.gif

I'll take that slightly "loved" tire off your hands for the right price, let me know.

Archived