Modular helmets

raptor2a

Anyone here us a modular helmet? (front face flip up) I've been thinking about replacing my current helmet and have seen some nice modulars...AGV makes a nice one...but haven't had any experience w/them...I've read the reviews and they are mixed and typically extremely biased either for or against...what say you?

Modular helmets are heavier than standard full face helmets; some by a considerable amount. This is an important consideration, particularly if you do long rides.

• Member Contributer

I have a Shoei Multitec and have no problems with it. I now use it on all my rides. It's great to be able to lift the front to get a drink or to take photos. I ride with a camelback, so when I stop, I can get a quick drink and be on my way. I also wear ear buds to listen to tunes and with my Shoei RF-1000 helmet, my ears would ache from taking the helmet off and on after two days of riding. I haven't noticed a weight issue with the Multitec. I don't have communication gear, so I can't comment on how well it works in this helmet. Everyone's different, so YMMV for likes or dislikes about a flip-up helmet.

Edit - I don't ride with the helmet in the up position.

• Member Contributer

After hitting the pavement face down with scrape marks on the helmet's front and chin section, there's NO WAY I would wear a modular helmet. The voice of experience FWIW. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I had a Nolan modular for awhile but was never happy with it. I did like the flip-up convenience but it was a very noisy helmet. In addition, the external flip-down sunshade which seemed like such a great idea turned out to be a disaster because when it was in the up position and I got to a certain speed it would suddenly flip down on its own, scaring the hell out of me.

After hitting the pavement face down with scrape marks on the helmet's front and chin section, there's NO WAY I would wear a modular helmet. The voice of experience FWIW.

I think the worst part of wearing a modular helmet would be forcing yourself to close the front before riding, even though the ride might be more enjoyable and comfortable with the front open.

Although I've never owned one, I'm not against modular helmets, but as Bent alludes to, they will not provide the protection of a full face helmet if the front is left open while riding.

+ 1 ........ HJC

As far as what's safer Leathers are safer than tech-clothing, and tech is better than blue jeans. Helmets? Half-helmet;3/4;modular;full-face.

There's a lot of choices for what we wear, he who wears the most is not going to go with anything less.

I feel that riders who want to wear some protection are doing better than those that wear T-shirts and shorts, but then it gets into how much comfort and safety draw from which we finally wear.

• Member Contributer

I also have a Mulitec and I'm very staisfied with comfort, ventilation and noise (though I do wear foam earplugs).

No crash-testing done. Touch wood.

• Member Contributer

I have a AGV Miglia modular helmet and a Vemar Jiano modular. I love them both, especially the Vemar which has the built in drop down shade for both day and night riding!!

Rollin

• Member Contributer

After hitting the pavement face down with scrape marks on the helmet's front and chin section, there's NO WAY I would wear a modular helmet. The voice of experience FWIW. :fing02:

See, this is the reason I will not get one (for fear of not getting as good as a protection as with a full-faced helmet) even though I just love the convenience of it. But safety first as far as I'm concerned. Just my two cents.

Good luck in your shopping!

C

• Member Contributer

I wear the Scorpion EXO 900. I really like it. I love the flip down visor as I wear prescription glasses while driving and this way I don't have to have two sets of glasses. At night, just pop that puppy up and im on the go. I like the fact that mine converts to a 3/4 so when Im on the Harley I can wear it that way. (comes with an attatchable visor) At gas stations I rarely take my helmet off with this thing as I just flip it open and do my thing then snap it back down and off I go. I also like the Flip up for consuming water or something of the sort at a stop without taking the helmet off.

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

I did a lot of research before purchasing my Caberg Justissimo modular. It was the only one at the time with the highest test rating (5) out of dozens of modulars tested. The latching system is metal to metal - no plastic involved, and held firm during the crash tests.

I've done 800+ mile days with it. I don't notice the weight, and being able to flip up the front when creeping through stop and go traffic with just the separate drop down sun shield in place has been a blessing on hot humid days. Also makes it easier to talk to someone at a light, and to take a swig out of a water bottle. I'm sold!

• Member Contributer

See, this is the reason I will not get one (for fear of not getting as good as a protection as with a full-faced helmet) even though I just love the convenience of it. But safety first as far as I'm concerned. Just my two cents.

C

I have been wearing a Nolan N102 for about 4 years now and have loved it. It is getting a bit tired so I am looking at getting a new Schuberth C3.

I really don't get the criticism on the modulars related to safety, especially since they often carry both DOT & ECE certifications. How is it any less protective? I can understand if you crash with the chin open, which would be a user error as they are not made to ride in the open position, but when closed how are they less protective? I've done a few google searches and can't seem to find any scientific evidence to support them being less safe?

They do tend to be heavier, and my Nolan is definitely noisier than a standard full face but the newer models, especially the new Schuberth, are much quieter, and weight much less than those of the past

• Member Contributer

C

I have been wearing a Nolan N102 for about 4 years now and have loved it. It is getting a bit tired so I am looking at getting a new Schuberth C3.

I really don't get the criticism on the modulars related to safety, especially since they often carry both DOT & ECE certifications. How is it any less protective? I can understand if you crash with the chin open, which would be a user error as they are not made to ride in the open position, but when closed how are they less protective? I've done a few google searches and can't seem to find any scientific evidence to support them being less safe?

They do tend to be heavier, and my Nolan is definitely noisier than a standard full face but the newer models, especially the new Schuberth, are much quieter, and weight much less than those of the past

I could very well be wrong about their safety. I was going by intuition only, thinking that if by any chance the hinges failed, the front could open up and uncover my pretty face to the mean pavement. As I said, could be wrong. I never read (didn't even looked since I already have a helmet) any report on their safety and would love to see what scientists have to say about it--with serious tests. I love the idea though and may consider buying one as my next helmet in about 2-3 years.

C

I just got a Scorpion EXO900 and just traveled 2200 miles last week, It was great. No more noise than my old Icon and only 1/2 pound heavier....was great to flip up when pulling in for gas or any slow riding. I did not have any issues with flip down sun shade, I cannot wear sunglasses in my helmets (get pressure points) and hate changing out visors....works great for me. JJ

I also have a Mulitec and I'm very staisfied with comfort, ventilation and noise (though I do wear foam earplugs).

No crash-testing done. Touch wood.

Same here. Its fantastic for commuting and touring. However I still prefer a racing helmet for "spirited rides" and obviously on the track.

• Member Contributer

C

I have zero criticism for those that choose to wear any kind of helmet or no helmet for that matter. I don't like govt. in my life and believe in moral and ethical freedom (my morals of course :biggrin: ).

That said, where I'm coming from is a lasting personal experience. I clearly remember being face down for a flash seeing asphalt go by through my visor. As ugly as I already am, this experience got my attention. I could be uglier or dead. When I decide to ride again, good riding protection will be more important than the bike I ride. I'll ride again, just a lot going on in life right now. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I've owned nothing but modular helmets since Shoei came out with their first Synchrotech. I currently have the Nolan N-103 which is nice since I use a Scala Rider communication system. My favorite was the Schuberth C-1 because it fit great and had the flip-down sunshield. Now I won't buy a helmet without one! Peggy wears a AGV that she likes but had the Caberg before that one.

They are noisy and heavy, but I wouldn't have anything else now. Great for us glasses wearers.

• Member Contributer

I have been wearing modular helmets since I started riding in 2006. I've owned 4. My last two have been Shoei syncrotech / mulitec. The first was disposed of after a serious accident. I ended up in the E.R with a concussion. I am sure I'd be dead without a helmet as a result of that one. While I was walking around talking to the responding LEO, I have no memory of the crash after losing control against a curb on a freeway interchange. I woke up two hours later in the hospital with NO long term health issues My syncrotec held up magnificently. Motorcycle Consumer Reports has given Shoei modular very good ratings except for price (on the high end).

I do love the convenience of the lift up front. Especially in hot weather, when stopped for a traffic light, I can open the face and cool down a bit. It is also great in gas stations, talking with others, smoking, drinking and more. It may be a little heavier and noisier but I always wear earplugs.

Instructions for helmet says it is NOT designed for riding with chin bar open. Must be closed when moving.

All in all, no complaints.

On second thought, it does fog up easily and as a result I frequently open the face shield slightly, which causes rain water to run down on the back side of the lens. When I can keep it closed, it does not leak.

• Forum CEO

I have owned several helmets, 4 Arai, 1 Shoie,2 Nolan,1 HJC, 1 Scorpion. The Nolans where flip up and and so was the HJC. I still have the HJC but would not wear it cause its a piece of shit, the latching mechanism broke, plastic pieces inside the chin, it has a metal latch but it doesnt matter if the plastic levers break. I fixed it and wear it for the dirt bike slower speeds and on dirt. The Nolans I had were great I had a 102 with the outside sun shield, I did not like that it would get dirt trapped between the main screen and the sun shield and scratch all up - bad design. the 103 had the sun shield inside and was much better, very solid latching mechanism but heavy. I was wearing it when I got ran off the road in Tennesse and it got damamage, saved my noggin. Now I have a Shoie x11 with custom paint back to full face and I dont miss it. Flip ups are convienent but not as convienient as you think, they leak in heavy rain, but then again so do many lids of the visor is not fitted on correctly. I liked the Nolans quick release chin bar that was great, now I am back to the D rings I miss that chin bar.

Cheap flip ups are exactly that cheap, cheaply made with cheap materials and well if your just riding it as slow speeds its ok, but the Nolans are more expensive for a reason they are made well, as with the shoies, shubereth, a good quality lid will cost ya. I still cant believe the HJC broke on the road? just stopped latching? First long distance ride with it and it broke? Never again will I buy an HJC!

• Member Contributer

I still cant believe the HJC broke on the road? just stopped latching? First long distance ride with it and it broke? Never again will I buy an HJC!

My first modular was a KBC. It leaked, the fit was lousy, and it broke. It was a real POS. My Caberg modular is everything my KBC wasn't. It has never leaked, even in sustained highway speed torrential down pours, it fits like a glove, and it's solidly constructed. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

I would like to see in print one example of someone being injured for a modular coming open.

I have a Shoei RF1000 and a Scorpion EXO900. The flip down sunshieldd is the bomb.

True its a little heavier, and noisier, ear plugs work. In fact Lisa has gone back to a Shoei Quest as she likes it better than the flip front.

When I ride alone on a short ride I usually take the Shoei RF1000. But for changing weather conditions, fuel stops, riding in groups. I take the Scorpion.

In hot weather I can ride with the sheild up and the sunsheild down to protect my eyes from bugs.

Good to have a choice.

Guest vfrrider

A word on safety.

People have said the modular are not Snell approved. True, never submitted.

People have said the modular helmets would not pass Snell standards. False. In side by side independent testing, the HJC Symax would have passed the Snell test, when some full face would not.

People have said the modular helmets would not handle face first crashs. False, they have.

Heavy, yes, in comparsison with SOME full face, but no heavier than some other full face.

Noisy? Yes, since design means that there will be some mechanisom right about wear location. But I ride with ear plugs anyway due to wind noise period.

So, pays your money and take your choice. I LIKE my HJC Symax, and would probably have bought the Shoei Multitiec, if I could have afforded it.

Larry

VFRrider

Archived