Modular helmets

raptor2a

I would like to see in print one example of someone being injured for a modular coming open.

I have a Shoei RF1000 and a Scorpion EXO900. The flip down sunshieldd is the bomb.

True its a little heavier, and noisier, ear plugs work. In fact Lisa has gone back to a Shoei Quest as she likes it better than the flip front.

When I ride alone on a short ride I usually take the Shoei RF1000. But for changing weather conditions, fuel stops, riding in groups. I take the Scorpion.

In hot weather I can ride with the sheild up and the sunsheild down to protect my eyes from bugs.

Good to have a choice.

I did come across someone wearing a modular and crashed and the hinge screw broke through into their skull. THey went into hemoridging convulsions a few days later and collasped.

• Member Contributer

Banana-yellow N102 here. I find regular full-face helmets claustrophobic to put on; putting on the Nolan and then lowering the chin bar is really nice. It is somewhat noisy and quite heavy, which I don't like. I suspect it's nearly as safe as a full-face helmet, certainly enough so for most street riding.

And a bit off-topic, but I *love* the quick-release buckle. It's beyond cool.

I also have this helmet. It's my backup. It's convenient if you're stopping a lot. I used it for teaching motorcycle training so I didn't have to take it off all the time to talk.

If you're a marathon rider it's nice to stop and take pics, get gas or eat something without taking the helmet off. They aren't that much heavier than the other HJC helmets and are actually quieter.

I have HJC so easy to slip on and off.tn_gallery_18972_5781_411860.jpgtn_gallery_18972_5781_194742.jpgtn_gallery_18972_5781_85597.jpgtn_gallery_18972_5781_112779.jpg

• Member Contributer

I use a HJC modular, my second one. Primarily I use it on tour and long rides. They are tour friendly making it very easy to ask folks a question, communicate at stops and or to take pictures easily. My current model has a sun shield too which I thought was a gimmick but frankly I use it all the time now. It may be a few lbs heavier than my Arai RX-7 but I do not notice the difference even after long days in the saddle. It is noiser I am sure but I wear plugs except on the Wing.

I have a Shoei Multitec and have no problems with it. I now use it on all my rides. It's great to be able to lift the front to get a drink or to take photos. I ride with a camelback, so when I stop, I can get a quick drink and be on my way. I also wear ear buds to listen to tunes and with my Shoei RF-1000 helmet, my ears would ache from taking the helmet off and on after two days of riding. I haven't noticed a weight issue with the Multitec. I don't have communication gear, so I can't comment on how well it works in this helmet. Everyone's different, so YMMV for likes or dislikes about a flip-up helmet.

Edit - I don't ride with the helmet in the up position.

Same here, I rode with the RF1000 for many years and try the Shoei Mutitec this year and I love it.

• Member Contributer

I used to wear an HJC Symax. (original style)

I'm one that thinks that chin bar gives a false sense of security and won't protect you like a regular full face will.

My story is this, I had the helmet sitting on the seat (I know, I should have known) and so it rolled off the seat and landed on the chin bar. I'm thinking not much speed developed from the seat to the ground.

I picked up the helmet and the chin bar hinge is out of place on one side and slid back about half inch (so the chin bar is now closer towards your face, not good). Turns out there is a plastic part to the hinge that broke. Had to buy a set, one for each side. BTW there is a thin stainless steel strap that keeps it going in any further.

In a real accident, not sure what would happen.

Seemed me at the time when I had it all apart that it was a pretty flimsy hinge setup. I thought I would wear it until I could afford a better lid, but it just bothered me to wear it so got another HJC, this time an IS-16. Turned out to be a POS as well.

I wear an Arai Vector now.

Now I'm not saying modulars are all bad, I'm sure some are very well made, just my experience with the HJC.

post-13146-0-41853100-1309827333_thumb.j

• Member Contributer

My 2 main helmets are a Scorpion EXO1000 and a Shoei Multitec. The type of ride dictates which helmet. The Multitec is used

about 1/3 of the time and the Scorpion 2/3's. I'll wear one and carry one in the oem bag sometimes so I have a choice.

Archived